Sign in to follow this  
Jakusotsu

Speculations about the new Takasago (split from Preparations of the Y/O- Aki 2020)

On 05/11/2020 at 11:12, themistyseas said:

It seems there is an enormous upcoming cluster of retirement age rikishi who might need/want kabu, a few loan situations that might be about to blow up, and it seems a bit horrible to get 24-36 years down the line and for someone who's 33-34 to miss out on the opportunity of 30+ years of work as a result of a 68 or 69 year old carrying on past the typical retirement age.

There are currently 6 65+ "consultants", and 4 of them are going to have to permanently retire by the end of May next year.  The other two will have to retire in 2022.  Things are about to go back to normal; it's been the last five years since the consultant gig started that have been really harsh on those who would normally have retired.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

There are currently 6 65+ "consultants", and 4 of them are going to have to permanently retire by the end of May next year.  The other two will have to retire in 2022.  Things are about to go back to normal; it's been the last five years since the consultant gig started that have been really harsh on those who would normally have retired.

In your opinion, will the "consultant" extension become the norm?  Will kabu-watchers automatically count backwards from 70 instead of 65 when working out the number of open slots?

It looks like a good time for the Kyokai to create five or more consulting kabus.

49 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

In your opinion, will the "consultant" extension become the norm?  Will kabu-watchers automatically count backwards from 70 instead of 65 when working out the number of open slots?

I have no basis for giving an informed opinion on the matter.  I have no idea why a bunch of them took the jobs a few years ago, but none have for the last couple years.

17 hours ago, Gurowake said:
17 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I have no basis for giving an informed opinion on the matter.  I have no idea why a bunch of them took the jobs a few years ago, but none have for the last couple years.

Simple, there haven't been that many oyakata reaching mandatory retirement since 2018. That initial swathe of eight sanyo appointments mostly happened in 2016 (4) and 2017 (3), with ex-Tamanofuji being the pioneer in 2014. Takasago will bring some fresh 65-year-old blood to the ranks next month.

Of the twelve oyakata who have turned 65 (well, Arashio retired a few days early but let's not split hairs) since the consultancy position was created in November 2014, four did not apply for it, two of whom had very good reasons why.

Asahiyama (ex-Daiju, March 2015) - myoseki remained vacant for ten months before being acquired by ex-Kotonishiki.

Kitajin (ex-Kirinji, March 2018) - health reasons.

Yamashina (ex-Onishiki, September 2018) - myoseki remained vacant for a year, since then it has been borrowed by ex-Sadanofuji.

Arashio (ex-Oyutaka, March 2020) - heya passed to Sokokurai, no alternative myoseki was available for Oyutaka to use, even if we assume he wanted to stay on.

• Like 2

Ex Asasekiryuu will inherit the Takasago name on the 27th,(tomorrow) and will become  the oyakata without waiting for the current Takasago's official retirement. It is official. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"With the rikishi led by Asanoyama and the supporting Oyakatas, we are concentrating on not shaming the Takasago name," said the new Takasago  Oyakata today.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The papers note that ex-Asasekiryu as Takasago is the first time a foreign-born oyakata is the shisho of a the main heya of an ichimon. o

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 7th (former) Takasago turned 65 today, the 8th (present) Takasago (Asasekiryu) officially took over as shisho and as this had his first day work. He wants to make the deshi do solid keiko and become strong like the former shisho, most of all have them build muscles to avoid injuries. And of course he wants to bring Asanoyama (and more) to yokozuna. http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2020/12/09/0013925564.shtml

f_13925569.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 26/11/2020 at 10:31, WAKATAKE said:

Any word on what action Wakamatsu will be taking?

Not from me, but is there any possibility of him deciding to branch out and form his own stable?

1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Not from me, but is there any possibility of him deciding to branch out and form his own stable?

Counting on Wikipedia shows him to be 5-10 Makuuchi appearances short of qualifying to open his own stable, just from eyeballing the timespan of his Makuuchi stays and Juryo appearances in between.  The only way he'll become shisho is to take over an existing one.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Counting on Wikipedia shows him to be 5-10 Makuuchi appearances short of qualifying to open his own stable, just from eyeballing the timespan of his Makuuchi stays and Juryo appearances in between.  The only way he'll become shisho is to take over an existing one.

Now that the database is back up, I can see he indeed had 52 Makuuchi appearances, 8 short of the necessary 60 in order to qualify that way.  The other way to qualify is 25 tournaments in sanyaku, but Asanowaka never reached sanyaku.

• Like 1

Takatoriki appears to be having a field day slamming the previous Takasago for not picking Asanowaka. I'm as puzzled at this, I get the feeling that Wakamatsu is going to make some moves somewhere else. 

Chris Sumo has put a video up on YT (9 Dec 2020) discussing Takatoriki's view on the take over for those who don't speak Japanese.

9 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Now that the database is back up, I can see he indeed had 52 Makuuchi appearances, 8 short of the necessary 60 in order to qualify that way.  The other way to qualify is 25 tournaments in sanyaku, but Asanowaka never reached sanyaku.

Well yes, Asanowaka never made it to sanyaku, and I think Takasago is a very traditionally-minded oyakata who thinks that the higher ranking rikishi make better stablemasters. I can definitely understand why he bailed at the last minute - you'd be hard pressed to find a heya more prestigious than Takasago. He needed to go with what he felt was the best bet and image to maintain the heya's prestige. However, in my opinion, Asanowaka would have been a greater bet because: (1) he is vastly more experienced in stable management and recruitment, thus having a better chance at maintaining Takasago's prestige than a better positioned, but much, much greener Asasekiryu and (2) he'd be much closer to retirement age when the Asanoyama clause kicks in and would be, in my opinion, more likely to honour the agreement as his old age might make him more open to less taxing heya manager duties, or god forbid, be easier to wait out or force out should he not honour it. It's not that I don't trust Asasekiryu, but putting a younger stablemaster with a lot to gain from not honouring the agreement just doesn't sound the most secure to me. 

I can see why Asanowaka is quite upset that his service and dedication have not been reciprocated. Whatever the case, I don't think he is going to just take this and will probably transfer to another stable. 

2 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Takatoriki appears to be having a field day slamming the previous Takasago for not picking Asanowaka. I'm as puzzled at this, I get the feeling that Wakamatsu is going to make some moves somewhere else. 

Well, I do agree with Takatoriki that Asanowaka is a more secure pick, but the comments he made about the Mongolian yaocho conspiracy and Kakuryu's parents... (Shakinghead...) 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1