ChiTownDude

Ticket Availability - November Basho

Aloha,

I have been going to at least one sumo basho every year since about 1988.  I was planning to go to the Kyushu Basho in November and made appropriate reservations including hotel there.  Several weeks ago the hotel manager (I've stayed with them before) informed me that the basho would be at the Kokugikan this year.  Clearly things aren't like they were.  

I watched the tournament on television a few weeks ago, and of course noted the hugely reduced audience being allowed.  I've always gotten floor seats anyway (masuseki).  So now I'm planning to be in Tokyo for the November basho.  I live in Hawai'i and the situation here has been fairly well controlled, with the Hawaiian government alluding to allowing travel between Japan and Hawai'i soon.  

Any experience at ticket availability from the last tournament would be appreciated.  

Of course recognizing that my well-made plans could go haywire altogether. . . .ha

15 hours ago, ChiTownDude said:

Any experience at ticket availability from the last tournament would be appreciated.

Tickets were available for all days, even for day 15 till the day before, till a day earlier even masuseki were left. I posted about the availability the whole basho: forums/search/?&q=masu&author=Akinomaki

I don't think the Hawaiian government has any sway over Japan letting in tourists from the US.

The Japanese company I work for isn't even planning high level exec travel to Japan from US until 2021. We still have all of our non-Japanese who live and work in Japan but doing short visit to US (Taiwanese, Vietnamese, Americans) still stuck in the US. I guess I don't know what type of passport you hold, but wish you good luck anyway.

On 25/08/2020 at 03:24, Akinomaki said:

Tickets were available for all days, even for day 15 till the day before, till a day earlier even masuseki were left. I posted about the availability the whole basho: forums/search/?&q=masu&author=Akinomaki

Thank you for your experience.  I had heard from a friend in Tokyo that tickets, which used to be snapped up by corporations for perks and give-aways to clients were NOT being bought this way at the moment.  Makes sense. . . . 

On 25/08/2020 at 16:54, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I don't think the Hawaiian government has any sway over Japan letting in tourists from the US.

It's not a matter of "sway".  As things begin to open again, Hawai'i and Japan are working together to make both safe for tourists.  Much of the investment in tourism infrastructure in Hawai'i is by Japanese companies, so it makes sense.  I don't believe there will be any "open" tourism anytime soon, with negative, recent Covid-19 tests becoming the norm.