Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O- Aki 2020

I'd love to hear a conversation between Dr. Now and Takakeisho about the latter's recent weight gain.

"A cell phone and clothes explain a 31 pound gain, really ?"

Edited by shumitto
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ozeki Asanoyama trained with the lower rankers of his heya today, doing around 15 bouts. "I'm doing them seriously one at a time and sweating well, while in attack mode all the time," he said. He is from Toyama, where the water is said to be pure. Recently, a friend sent over a lot of Toyama water, and he is drinking it abundantly to hydrate. "I'd rather drink Toyama water than sake.." he said. He has been discussing health issues with his personal trainer, and has been eating between meals as well, drinking smoothies daily. Mustard spinach, regular spinach, ginger, celery, bananas, mandarins, apples, oranges and watermelon, mixed with yogurt and honey- all this to overcome fatigue. If he's still hungry, he eats sweetened nuts. This internal purification of his body is uplifting his state of mind. Me, a cheeseburger would be nice. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

What's the betting line on the yokozuna?

One in?  Two in?  None?

None makes things really interesting.

On 07/09/2020 at 17:36, Kintamayama said:

Ozeki Asanoyama trained with the lower rankers of his heya today, doing around 15 bouts. "I'm doing them seriously one at a time and sweating well, while in attack mode all the time," he said. He is from Toyama, where the water is said to be pure. Recently, a friend sent over a lot of Toyama water, and he is drinking it abundantly to hydrate. "I'd rather drink Toyama water than sake.." he said. He has been discussing health issues with his personal trainer, and has been eating between meals as well, drinking smoothies daily. Mustard spinach, regular spinach, ginger, celery, bananas, mandarins, apples, oranges and watermelon, mixed with yogurt and honey- all this to overcome fatigue. If he's still hungry, he eats sweetened nuts. This internal purification of his body is uplifting his state of mind. Me, a cheeseburger would be nice. 

I wonder how much impact the success of Asanoyama and Terunofuji can have on sumo culture more generally. The latter obviously did the unconventional by sitting out to heal while the former is trying out new things to improve his condition, such as abstaining from alcohol and now apparently drinking healthy smoothies. They are positive role models for guys trying to climb the ladder. Prolonged success at the top could see more guys make changes to their lifestyles to emulate them, which can only be a good thing.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I wonder how much impact the success of Asanoyama and Terunofuji can have on sumo culture more generally. The latter obviously did the unconventional by sitting out to heal while the former is trying out new things to improve his condition, such as abstaining from alcohol and now apparently drinking healthy smoothies. They are positive role models for guys trying to climb the ladder. Prolonged success at the top could see more guys make changes to their lifestyles to emulate them, which can only be a good thing. 

Only tangentially related, but we're also seeing what is (at least since I've started following sumo) a larger-than-usual number of smallish rikishi. One also wonders if the success of Enho, Terutsuyoshi, and so forth might lead to an increase in that area.

• Like 1

Kakuryuu is probably out of Aki "I haven't had this kind of experience (no training)  before. My body is not ready at all," he said. He did lend his chest to Kiribayama, but that's about it. He will discuss this with his Oyakata and decide soon.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That might mean that no Yokozuna will take part this Basho.

When did that happen the last time ?

(intresting for Bench Sumo ! :-D)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pitinosato said:

(interesting for Bench Sumo ! :-D)

Your notion of "interesting" is, well, interesting...

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Pitinosato said:

November 2018. None of the 3 show up

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Asapedroryu said:

November 2018. None of the 3 show up

Kisenosato was 0-5-10 there. He participated, but I think it is fair to say that he didn't "show up."

Edited by Shinobi Steve
Added a sentence.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pitinosato said:

It looks like both Nagoya and Aki 1994 were Yokozuna-less basho since Akebono sat both out with injury. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

The suspense builds with the Nokozuna drama. If both Hakuho and Kakuryu withdraw, this would be the first time since May 1983 that both yokozuna on the banzuke did not start the tournament. So far there isn't much optimism for them coming through to compete.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202009100000506.html

Is it confirmed already?

4 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Is it confirmed already?

It just looks like it so far. They have time to hand in the kyujo notice till tomorrow morning, when the torikumi for the first 2 days will be compiled and published - and the sekitori kyujo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

On 09/09/2020 at 04:58, Kintamayama said:

Kakuryuu is probably out of Aki "I haven't had this kind of experience (no training)  before. My body is not ready at all," he said. He did lend his chest to Kiribayama, but that's about it. He will discuss this with his Oyakata and decide soon.

Many times I've heard him say : "I haven't trained at all before this basho". But it usually comes after the first loss.

• Like 2

"So now that we Ozekis are the top active rikishi, we have to do our utmost every single bout and show those results!!" said Takakeishou today. He faces Terunofuji on day 1. They have faced each other once before back in Nagoya 2017, when Takakeishou was M1 and Terunofuji was Ozeki. Takakeishou won by oshidashi. "I want to do the sumo that I'm aiming to do. I was bound to face him anyway during the coming 15 days so if it makes no difference if it's day 1 or any other day. It's just a question if we meet early or later.." he summed. He just got married a while ago. "Well, when I was alone I always gave it my all so nothing has really changed, but I do wish to achieve a good result," he summed even more.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

They have faced each other once before back in Nagoya 2017, when Takakeishou was M1 and Terunofuji was Ozeki.

That's a very weird reversal of fate. Given how fallen ozeki are a relatively recent phenomenon, I doubt there's very many examples of that kind of matchup.

4 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

That's a very weird reversal of fate. Given how fallen ozeki are a relatively recent phenomenon, I doubt there's very many examples of that kind of matchup.

I don't believe it should be very uncommon. Kotoshogiku and Tochinoshin had such bouts and that is the very first example that popped my mind. 

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_opp.aspx?r=6599#1226

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shumitto said:

I don't believe it should be very uncommon. Kotoshogiku and Tochinoshin had such bouts and that is the very first example that popped my mind. 

The interesting factor is arguably that they've had no further matches before the role reversal was complete. Most overlapping "veteran ozeki on the way down" and "future ozeki on the way up" careers either have a bunch of matchups in between while neither is ozeki, or they're trivial cases such as Takanonami and Miyabiyama meeting in both Natsu and Nagoya 2000 as ozeki and sekiwake, but flipping ranks in between.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

The interesting factor is arguably that they've had no further matches before the role reversal was complete. Most overlapping "veteran ozeki on the way down" and "future ozeki on the way up" careers either have a bunch of matchups in between while neither is ozeki, or they're trivial cases such as Takanonami and Miyabiyama meeting in both Natsu and Nagoya 2000 as ozeki and sekiwake, but flipping ranks in between.

Good point.  If the Ozeki retires soon after leaving that rank (e.g. Kotooshu, Baruto), obviously there's no chance of a future match.  Terunofuji fell so far so fast that he didn't have many matches in Makuuchi before his return.