Kintamayama

Keiko mawashi stolen!!

55 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Do you know what Raruki means or If it is a common pet name or did he mean to call him Lucky but his English is bad?

You could ask Ichinoya if he can ask Terasawa - so far we don't even know if it's Raruki (ラルキ Hochi) or Rarukii (ラルキー Nikkan -> Indian curry Ladki), which r could be l and if the -u would be dropped in romaji.

Edited by Akinomaki

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I can still grow hair if I so wish. I choose the bald look.

I can still grow 10-15 hairs in a month or two.  I too choose the bald look.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

The hair appears to be a cap.

I read crap...

One thing that wasn't questioned 'til now...how do remains of a dead bunny fit into the fold of a mawashi? Did he sit on it? Just wondering...

23 minutes ago, Benihana said:

One thing that wasn't questioned 'til now...how do remains of a dead bunny fit into the fold of a mawashi? Did he sit on it? Just wondering...

One bone (or more - in Japanese you never know - unless you know) as talisman

Edited by Akinomaki

On the topic of our beautiful Kinta---apparently he used to be a war reporter on the side.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

Wth... This is the first thing I read in the morning and I know already that it's going to be my read of the day!

Underwear theft doesn't seem to be uncommon in Japan (once happened at the place where I lived, girl undies), but mawashi........... (Kokkai...)

Poor guy and his bunny.

I have a good friend, not an enormous gal but a solidly built woman, who taught English in a small village up in Iwate. She'd done her laundry and gone to work one day, but when she returned from school she found all her delicates had been snagged from the clothesline. She was furious and knew immediately that because Japanese women are somewhat smaller than westerners, the missing articles were going to be very difficult to replace.

Then her female neighbor came over with half of her laundry in a basket. It had started to rain and she brought half of my friend's laundry inside.

I'm amazed this mawashi incident happened in Japan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Benihana said:

I read crap...

Another thing that wasn't questioned was why the remains weren't removed before washing the mawashi.  The mawashi was hanging up to dry when it was stolen.  It seems to me that the remains would have been removed and then put back in the fold after the mawashi finished drying.  Also, if a deck brush was used to clean the mawashi, wouldn't that have damaged the remains?

• Like 1

According to Chris Gould, the rabbit's ashes were in a 'lucky charm' hidden within the folds. 

I was under the impression that mawashi were never actually washed. Brushing with a yard brush would removed encrusted salt from sweat, and airing on a wall in sunlight would dry them and somewhat neutralise odours. 

Either way, you'd have thought the charm would be removed before cleaning and airing.

3 hours ago, Katooshu said:

On the topic of our beautiful Kinta---apparently he used to be a war reporter on the side.

Wow, my secret is out..

5 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

You could ask Ichinoya if he can ask Terasawa - so far we don't even know if it's Raruki (ラルキ Hochi) or Rarukii (ラルキー Nikkan -> Indian curry Ladki), which r could be l and if the -u would be dropped in romaji.

He'd tell me it was ラルキ and we'd still be none the wiser..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

According to Chris Gould, the rabbit's ashes were in a 'lucky charm' hidden within the folds. 

I was under the impression that mawashi were never actually washed. Brushing with a yard brush would removed encrusted salt from sweat, and airing on a wall in sunlight would dry them and somewhat neutralise odours. 

Either way, you'd have thought the charm would be removed before cleaning and airing.

Although everybody seems to say mawashi are never washid, i am 100% sure i saw a picture of a rikishi loading/unloading black mawashi into/from a washing machine some years ago. Even the thought of wearing the same underwear for more than a day is gross to me. A cotton mawashi soaked with dirt and sweat from hours of daily training...revolting.

Edited by Benihana
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Although everybody seems to say mawashi are never washid, i am 100% sure i saw a picture of a rikishi loading/unloading black mawashi into/from a washing machine some years ago. Even the thought of wearing the same underwear for more than a day is gross to me. A cotton mawashi soaked with dirt and sweat from hours of daily training...revolting.

Might have been Kyokutaisei in that documentary. Yeah, obviously the canvas sort get washed. The silken shimekomi, not so much.

• Confused 1

It shouldn't be too hard to find the truck driver.

He should be the only one driving around with a mawashi as a covid-19 mask.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John Gunning said:

Took that avatar shot through the window of the resturant that was in front of the Ryogoku JR exit nearest the Kokugikan. It's now a soba place. 

Sept 2006 was it?

May 2006, I think. Yes, you were quick with the camera to catch that surprise moment..

As usual.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

Couldn't have been. Was still living in Osaka then. Pretty sure it was 06. Will check later.

Corrected it-May 2006-checked my old passport..When I came to bring Sadogatake to Israel.

6 hours ago, John Gunning said:

It's now a soba place. 

Doesn't sound attractive to me, but Fujisan might be interested.

Edited by Jakusotsu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/08/2020 at 01:12, Kintamayama said:

...said my friend ex-Ichinoya, the manager of the heya, and the guy I'm talking to in my avatar, since nobody ever asked..

I guess many folks here in the forum did notice that you had changed your avatar and were curious who the guy on the left side is, but were - like me - too shy to ask...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Christopher said:

.... were - like me - too shy to ask...

and many of us have been here so long that we knew without asking.

• Like 2

On 14/08/2020 at 17:13, Kujo said:

It shouldn't be too hard to find the truck driver.

He should be the only one driving around with a mawashi as a covid-19 mask.....

Not necessarily coughing, but maybe gagging occasionally...

On 16/08/2020 at 18:48, Asojima said:

and many of us have been here so long that we knew without asking.

Oooooohhh..nice avatar..

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Oooooohhh..nice avatar..

Extracted from a photo by I Love Sumo.

• Like 1

Doesn't look like the missing good luck charm has affected his results so far - he's a win away from the yusho and a new career high rank!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themistyseas said:

Doesn't look like the missing good luck charm has affected his results so far - he's a win away from the yusho and a new career high rank!

Maybe he's doing it in tribute to his rabbit. Sounds like a regular magic feather moment, though.

2 hours ago, themistyseas said:

Your Honour, I put it to you that the rabbit ash was what was preventing him from achieving greatness... (Laughing...)

• Haha 1