Sign in to follow this  
Washuyama

Trivia question

Found this and thought it was interesting:

Towanoyama and Kimenryu hold a distinction that only they can claim. What is it?

• Like 1

I faintly remember an older thread, similar to this one. I ilke it. It tingles my Watson-senses. But i don't know what we are looking for. The only thing i could find, is that both never had a non-kyujo 0-7.

Posted (edited)

Love these threads! I notice their first basho was an inverse of their last (6-1/1-6, 4-3/3-4) but I imagine that is fairly common. Nothing else jumps out, but eyes much sharper than mine should spot something.

Edit: Both also undefeated vs Hakuho in multiple bouts (2-0)!

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

Edit: Both also undefeated vs Hakuho in multiple bouts (2-0)!

BINGO...  They are the ONLY rikishi to have faced Hakuho more than once and be undefeated against him!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I will always remember unfortunate Towanoyama for being an ex-Maegashira whose sole "appearance" at that rank was a fusenpai.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I will always remember unfortunate Towanoyama for being an ex-Maegashira whose sole "appearance" at that rank was a fusenpai.

Wow, that was quite the roller coaster of a six months for the guy: 11-4 at his then-career high of J3 and he must have been buzzing at the prospect of a Makuuchi debut. Then the debut comes but he sits out the whole thing. Returns in Juryo with a dismal 5-10 and is promptly demoted back to Makushita.