Hakuryuho

Are the height measurements of the Rikishi precise?

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if the rikishi get measured correctly and precisely. 

I read an article from John Gunning stating that if you too short to become a rikishi (below 167cm) you can stand on your tiptoes to clear the 167cm mark.

This would suggest that the measurements of wrestlers are not really accurate, sometimes at least.

Does anyone have any more information on that topic?

Would love to know more about that.

Thanks a bunch and have a wonderful day!

New rikishi who were height challenged used to have silicone implants placed on the top of their head to achieve the minimum height.  The newer method of doing toe stands is much more humane.  This is likely the only time that heights are fudged.

• Thanks 1

A lot of the time when I see them do measurements, the measurement is taken from above the top of the rikishi's head, adding some extra height. And some of the listings seem off to me...this basho Takagenji was listed at 193cm, but looked barely taller than opponents listed at about 185cm.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Katooshu said:

A lot of the time when I see them do measurements, the measurement is taken from above the top of the rikishi's head, adding some extra height. And some of the listings seem off to me...this basho Takagenji was listed at 193cm, but looked barely taller than opponents listed at about 185cm.

You are probably right.  The two entries in the DB list him as 186cm.

When doing height measurements, the NSK let's out it's WWE-side.

Years ago I stood side by side with Tosanoumi (he was very nice, I still have a picture with him), Kitazakura (the nicest of all with fans) Kotonowaka (the senior), Onokuni, Bushuyama, Tochinoshin and others and being 6 feet tall myself, they all looked taller than I as I expected them to be. But the shorter you are, the less liked your billed height tends to correspond to the actual figure, I suppose.

• Like 1

1) Hakuho started as a 16-year-old and gained 12 cm (180-192) according to the db.

2) Many of the weights are posted in tenths of a kilogram.  Maybe the digital meter effect?

I would guess it has a lot to do with who does up their mage on the day of the measurement.

• Like 2

Height requirements are also overlooked in some cases eg. if they have a certain level of attainment in university sumo.

I thought they did away with height requirements when people started getting silicone-enhanced mage?

35 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

I thought they did away with height requirements when people started getting silicone-enhanced mage?

They seem to still be in place, per John Gunning's Jan 2019 article in the Japan Times:

167 cm, 67 kg (tiptoes and drinking lots of water allowed)

165 cm, 65 kg if entering from middle school.

• Thanks 2

Going by ozumo measurements, Hokutofuji and Kiribiyama have grown about an inch and a half in their mid-20s, while Asanoyama has shrunk by about the same amount since turning pro. Basically, I've noticed that they seem to be all over for a lot of the competitors....

4 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Going by ozumo measurements, Hokutofuji and Kiribiyama have grown about an inch and a half in their mid-20s, while Asanoyama has shrunk by about the same amount since turning pro. Basically, I've noticed that they seem to be all over for a lot of the competitors....

Looking at the DB, the base unit seems to be 0.5 cm, which is ~1/5th of an inch (for you Yanks).  If you're hanging a door, you'd better have your measurements to at least that tolerance.  If you're measuring a standing human who's swaying a little, has variable width hairdo, and is often measured by a shorter individual (so parallax is a big problem), these numbers are "OK", but the stated precision is bunk.

• Haha 1

At the 2012 Interhigh Baraki's height was listed at 161 cm...people may have told him he was too short for ozumo, but he had a masterplan (Laughing...)

On 24/09/2020 at 21:33, Katooshu said:

people may have told him he was too short for ozumo

Surprisingly enough, Baraka proved them right