Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses- Aki 2020

Terunofuji has started training. No sumo, just suriashi, shiko and weight-lifting. "I'm going to prepare well for Aki, is the feeling I'm going with at the moment. As for Nishikifuji (his heyamate who will be in Juryo for the first time in Aki) he should aspire upwards, aspire upwards all the time. That will change his life. Anyhow, I'll be doing what I can at this time. If a good record will follow, well.." he said.

sum20081105020001-p1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

Daieishou the third Sekiwake  trained today with Juryo Daiamami and Daishoumaru. 19 bouts, 16 wins. "I worked on my tachiai, hitting thoroughly and using  tsuki-oshi to attack." He has switched to a more balanced diet lately, eating a lot of vegetables. "I'm afraid of becoming ill so I have to balance my diet with vegetables. I'm eating vinegared onions at the heya. It seems good for the health. I'm not thinking about the pressure- I'll turn it into fighting spirit. I aim for the yusho in every basho that I participate. During training I can win even when I'm pushed back but it isn't that easy during a basho. I will do my best to do 100% of my sumo!"

sum20090216520001-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The Flying Monkey Tobizaru trained today-fundamentals only. "It is very important to do the fundamentals in order to avoid unnecessary injuries and to build up my body. I'd like to start doing sumo soon." He donned his new mawashi today. "It's a pale blue color, not a deep blue one. It's something never seen before .."  He has been quite excited lately with the promotion and all and the interest in him. "I am learning English. I have received many correspondences from foreign sumo fans and have been generating interest, so I decided to study English. I bought a textbook, but I seem to keep forgetting to open it.. I am getting better at speaking, as I have a friend who corresponds  regularly speaks online to me in English ." He seems to be taking this quite seriously. At some point he had planned to embroider his zabuton with the caption  "Flying Monkey" in English, but decided against it. "I do a lot of leg trips like ketaguri and kekaeshi and I plan to continue doing them during the basho. If I can catch (said it in English) the foreign fans' heart (said it in English as well) that would be cool!!" he summed.

Come on everyone, let's write him some encouraging words where seldom is heard and the skies are not cloudy all day!!

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 7

10 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

The Flying Monkey Tobizaru trained today-fundamentals only. "It is very important to do the fundamentals in order to avoid unnecessary injuries and to build up my body. I'd like to start doing sumo soon." He donned his new mawashi today. "It's a pale blue color, not a deep blue one. It's something never seen before .."  He has been quite excited lately with the promotion and all and the interest in him. "I am learning English. I have received many correspondences from foreign sumo fans and have been generating interest, so I decided to study English. I bought a textbook, but I seem to keep forgetting to open it.. I am getting better at speaking, as I have a friend who corresponds online with me regularly in English." He seems to be taking this quite seriously. At some point he had planned to embroider his zabuton with the caption  "Flying Monkey" in English, but decided against it. "I do a lot of leg trips like ketaguri and kekaeshi and I plan to continue doing them during the basho. If I can catch (said it in English) the foreign fans' heart (said it in English as well) that would be cool!!" he summed.

Come on everyone, let's write him some encouraging words where seldom is heard and the skies are not cloudy all day!!

That is so cool!

Would you happen to know how to get in touch with him? He says he is talking with someone online, does that mean there is an e-mail one can write to?

6 minutes ago, Hakuryuho said:

That is so cool!

Would you happen to know how to get in touch with him? He says he is talking with someone online, does that mean there is an e-mail one can write to?

I have no idea, but it seems to me he is using some chat app, since he says he is getting better at conversing. The word "correspondence" should read  " English conversation."

Edited by Kintamayama

Tobizaru just rocketed up my list of favorites. It doesn’t take a lot capture this foreign fan’s heart. 

• Like 2

Tobizaru stealing a march on his peers by utilizing social media and language skills to build his personal brand outside of Japan. Very now.

If anyone wants to write to Tobizaru, here is his address ---------

OITEKAZE BEYA
TOBIZARU MASAYA
5-32-22 SEZAKI
SOKA-SHI
SAITAMA-KEN 340-0022
JAPAN

If anyone has the tel # for the heya, maybe they could call & see if Tobizaru has an e-mail address.  Let's let him know he has supporters outside of Japan.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sumojoann said:

OITEKAZE BEYA
TOBIZARU MASAYA
5-32-22 SEZAKI
SOKA-SHI
SAITAMA-KEN 340-0022
JAPAN

If anyone has the tel # for the heya, maybe they could call & see if Tobizaru has an e-mail address.  Let's let him know he has supporters outside of Japan.

I'm definitely doing this. 

Is there an etiquette to sending rikishi fan mail? I'm thinking I might just send a postcard.

4 hours ago, sumojoann said:

OITEKAZE BEYA
TOBIZARU MASAYA
5-32-22 SEZAKI
SOKA-SHI
SAITAMA-KEN 340-0022
JAPAN

Well, a quick Google search gives that address, and a telephone number: +81 48-925-3700.  On the ... er ... website, there is a different number, plus the ever-popular Fax number.  oitekaze.com

18 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

The Flying Monkey Tobizaru trained today-fundamentals only. "It is very important to do the fundamentals in order to avoid unnecessary injuries and to build up my body. I'd like to start doing sumo soon." He donned his new mawashi today. "It's a pale blue color, not a deep blue one. It's something never seen before .."  He has been quite excited lately with the promotion and all and the interest in him. "I am learning English. I have received many correspondences from foreign sumo fans and have been generating interest, so I decided to study English. I bought a textbook, but I seem to keep forgetting to open it.. I am getting better at speaking, as I have a friend who corresponds  regularly speaks online to me in English ." He seems to be taking this quite seriously. At some point he had planned to embroider his zabuton with the caption  "Flying Monkey" in English, but decided against it. "I do a lot of leg trips like ketaguri and kekaeshi and I plan to continue doing them during the basho. If I can catch (said it in English) the foreign fans' heart (said it in English as well) that would be cool!!" he summed.

Waiting for “Hiro Morita with Tobizaru” interview in english

• Like 2

Yutakayama and Shoudai were at it today at the heya. 8-2 in favor of Shoudai. "My condition is not THAT bad. I'm thinking I'm in better shape than last basho," said Yutakayama later. "Since the beginning of this year I have not been able to beat Shoudai. We had like a  hundred bouts  before last basho and I think I won maybe five.. He is crazy strong now. It's not at the level of  'he added power' - he has added POWER!" enthused Yutakayama. "He broke through his ceiling. I want to do that as well. I think if I really feel it deep inside, a change will come. It would be good if I can do that.. Lately, a lot of rikishi are taking turns shining in the limelight, and I'm thinking 'why not me as well?"" he added, hopefully, eagerly and enthusiastically. 

202009030000485-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

And Shoudai, what is he saying after the 8-2 against Yutakayama? "I'm not in top shape yet - some fatigue remains. Yes, I've been hearing talk of an Ozeki run for me, but it hasn't made me too conscious about it at this point. I want to do my own sumo, and the results should follow -  I don't want to do some strange sumo that will hamper my own style.. My body is still a bit rigid. What's important is that I am training and avoiding injury. The basho is very close and it's a bit unnerving, but I'm not that worried.." Takakeishou and other young stars have gotten married lately. "It's not like I'm too old to get married.. People around me should not worry about it. I have my own timing.." he summed, laughing.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

"It's not like I'm too old to get married.. People around me should not worry about it. I have my own timing.." he summed, laughing.

My mom used to ask me when I was planning to get married and give her grandkids also. I know his pain! 

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

and I'm thinking 'why not me as well?"" he added, hopefully, eagerly and enthusiastically

If he can learn to also think that emphatically, I believe he can break through his ceiling.(Thinkingindepth...)

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

If he can learn to also think that emphatically, I believe he can break through his ceiling.(Thinkingindepth...)

I think he did that too. And seriously.

• Like 1

Iwasaki caught my eye from his first appearance in Maezumo and I never stopped rooting for him. Back then, he was thin as a stick and had technique, speed and ring sense combined with cleverness. He rose and became the Flying Monkey and acquired the bulk he needed to fight to the top but never lost that exciting cleverness and it's great to see him in Makuuchi now. WELL DONE!

• Like 1

Mitakeumi is lamenting the fact that he can't go for degeiko. "Yes, I am more anxious than last basho. It's just that I've been doing it for a while now. No proper degeiko this time. I can't do sumo like I'm used to doing. I'm stuck doing the fundamentals. When we're on jungyo I can't find much time to do them, but now that I'm at the heya all the time, I can seriously do them," he said. He has been skipping rope and can do a minute straight with all of his 172 kilos, doing three sets. "My body still feels heavy. I've started doing sumo today and I feel a bit of the sharpness emerging slowly." He faced some Makushita and under guys for 10 bouts. He's used to going to Kasugano beya for training, where he faces tough opponents. "Here, winning my bouts goes without saying and is expected. I know I have to stay in the ring and win them all, so maybe I'm adding more stamina this way.. It's also important to help develop the young ones. " He has been growing vegetables on the heya's roof,  but the latest heatwave has ruined everything. "I gave up at some point. The tomatoes and stuff were coming along fine, but.. Growing the young guys and growing crop is equally difficult.." he said. He needs to get double digit wins this basho if he wants to be considered for an Ozeki run in November. "I was a rank and filer back in March (10 wins), so I can't really consider this as two straight double digit wins (11 last basho). It did build up my confidence, though. I definitely want to get two straight double digit wins now," he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Kiribayama is doing his best to put on some weight. He added 3 kilos and now weighs 138 kilos. "I used to like to eat this and hate to eat that, but now I've gotten used to it and can eat anything.. At first I couldn't eat natto because it had a terrible smell but I've been eating it for the last year. The Yokozuna (Kakuryuu, arrived at the heya after his oyakata died and the old heya folded)) eats it daily. I've heard it's good for the body. I need to add 10-20 kilos," he explained. He went 6-9 last basho but did beat Takakeishou and Mitakeumi. "It was great fun. I couldn't believe I actually beat an Ozeki.. After facing the Yokozuna and Ozeki, I was able to be less nervous and calmly do sumo. " he said. Today he faced the young guys of the heya (Kakuryuu has yet to do any sumo training) for 25 bouts. "I was makekoshi last basho, so I want to get a kachikoshi this basho. I haven't had two straight makekoshi yet (only once in his whole career not counting kyujo, five and a half years, 32 basho), so it's quite scary. I'd like to keep that in mind." he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Veteran Komusubi Okinoumi had 10 bouts with Makushita rikishi today. "I'm resting here and there so as not to get injured. I feel business is as usual. The rest will happen during the basho, and that's it.. " He had his first kachikoshi as a sanyaku last basho. "I was able to generate power in a good way. In the past I had this voice inside me telling me I can't win. Now I'm going about it much more calmly. It's OK if I lose. Feeling that, I'm OK with whatever happens. Overthinking about what may or may not happen leads to unnecessary fatigue. If I'm bad, I lose, it's as simple as that. I am getting old, but I make up for it with my ability to concentrate. It's not about the power, it's more about the concentration. I think this new state of mind helps my body move well. It's all about  the way we think, isn't it? I don't really know if I can preserve this state of mind during the next basho as well. It's difficult. Nevertheless, I shall gambarize, aiming for double digit wins with my own rhythm. All I can do is ride the wave of my confidence.." he said. 

Wow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Maegashira 10 Kotoekou had his first double digit win basho last basho and got a nice 6 rank boost. "I was able to move before my opponents and take control of my bouts. It's all about attacking first. I hardly lose now by getting pushed back. The only way to fight my weight disadvantage (131 kilos) is to get into my sumo mode as quickly as possible. " His local Fukuoka fans have written a song about him that has become popular among his fans. No Kyushu basho this time. "All kinds of people have heard it - If everyone can memorize it, it will definitely rouse the fans and that would be nice..", he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Takayasu did not do any sumo today, but seems to be in good shape. He did some fundamentals though, working up a sweat. He has been doing sumo on a daily basis since the banzuke was released, training against.. well, you know, ex-Kisenosato (Araiso Oyakata). "Man, his left hand grip is scary..The keiko is excellent. We can't go out to train at this time, so I am thankful to have him as my training partner.. " He got married in July and his wife is assisting him in his effort to return to sanyaku. "She tries her best to cook me healthy meals so I can lose my excess fat. A lot of proteins. As a result my body is moving better than before. My sumo sense is returning as well. It seems my wife is learning how to make healthy food, and it is very tasty. I'd like to be able to repay her by doing well. I want to return to sanyaku.." He has been greatly inspired by Terunofuji's yusho. "I have been greatly inspired by Terunofuji's yusho. He's faced much greater hardships than I have. A yusho by someone like that is a great stimulus. It makes me feel maybe I'm next.. I'd like to totally gambarize one more time and aim upwards and will train hard for my fans who are rooting for me. " He is going to be a father soon. "The birth should take place at the beginning of next year. I need to gambarize even more.. For the sake of the child, I'd like to join forces with my wife and do my best."  He intends to resume training with ex-Kisenosato tomorrow. "I'll be going at it while taking care of my body to avoid injuries. I'd like to show powerful sumo for the 15 days of the Aki basho and make my fans' support worth their while!!"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Takayasu did not do any sumo today, but seems to be in good shape. He did some fundamentals though, working up a sweat. He has been doing sumo on a daily basis since the banzuke was released, training against.. well, you know, ex-Kisenosato (Araiso Oyakata). "Man, his left hand grip is scary..The keiko is excellent. We can't go out to train at this time, so I am thankful to have him as my training partner.. " He got married in July and his wife is assisting him in his effort to return to sanyaku. "She tries her best to cook me healthy meals so I can lose my excess fat. A lot of proteins. As a result my body is moving better than before. My sumo sense is returning as well. It seems my wife is learning how to make healthy food, and it is very tasty. I'd like to be able to repay her by doing well. I want to return to sanyaku.." He has been greatly inspired by Terunofuji's yusho. "I have been greatly inspired by Terunofuji's yusho. He's faced much greater hardships than I have. A yusho by someone like that is a great stimulus. It makes me feel maybe I'm next.. I'd like to totally gambarize one more time and aim upwards and will train hard for my fans who are rooting for me. " He is going to be a father soon. "The birth should take place at the beginning of next year. I need to gambarize even more.. For the sake of the child, I'd like to join forces with my wife and do my best."  He intends to resume training with ex-Kisenosato tomorrow. "I'll be going at it while taking care of my body to avoid injuries. I'd like to show powerful sumo for the 15 days of the Aki basho and make my fans' support worth their while!!"

Kintamayama's translations are so precise that if you understand Japanese, you read these and know exactly what they were saying in the original language. 

• Like 2

Maegashira 1 Takanoshou (at his highest career rank, aiming for sanyaku) has absorbed himself in "Fortnight", playing against his young heyamates, and tells us about it. "Fortnight is a survival game so if you don't concentrate, you get clobbered. I'm pretty sure playing the game has improved my concentration," he said. Today he faced current Makushita and ex-Makuuchi Takagenji and others at the heya. "I guess I had 15-20 bouts.." he said, not showing much concentration, ne? Heya-mate Ozeki Takakeishou got married recently and so did his own sister. "I'm wishing for good fortune for myself as well this coming basho and hope to get a good result.." he summed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Maegashira 1 Takanoshou (at his highest career rank, aiming for sanyaku) has absorbed himself in "Fortnight", playing against his young heyamates, and tells us about it.

It's called Fortnite and is a Battle-Royale type of game. Many people my age play it quite a lot but I didn't know it was also popular in Japan! 

• Like 1