Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses- Aki 2020

How can you play Fortnite and not know it took over the world a couple of years ago? Of course the Japanese play it. I'm just surprised Takanosho is so late to the party. If, that is, he has only just started playing, as opposed to merely revealing that he's playing.

Me? I used to love shooters, but I'm too old and slow these days. Constantly getting my arse kicked by 12-year-olds is somewhat less than enjoyable.

Terutsuyoshi at is career highest rank of M3: "I hope to face my bouts concentrating on each day's bout and not getting over-eager.. I'm not thinking too much about sanyaku, I'm just thinking of facing each day without getting injured and gambarizing in order to win.." 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

How can you play Fortnite and not know it took over the world a couple of years ago? Of course the Japanese play it. I'm just surprised Takanosho is so late to the party. If, that is, he has only just started playing, as opposed to merely revealing that he's playing.

I don't think a sekitori has much spare time for this, usually. As it is now not usually and the guys have oodles of spare time, he probably took it up.

You don't actually need very much time to play this sort of game. It's played in rounds that rarely last longer than 20 minutes. Very easy to dip in and out of.

5 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

You don't actually need very much time to play this sort of game. It's played in rounds that rarely last longer than 20 minutes. Very easy to dip in and out of.

I've heard of people getting hooked and playing for days. I'm pretty sure he suddenly had a lot of spare time on his hands and got into it. Most of us under lockdown found something new to do. I started knitting and ice-sculpting.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

There are also people playing for hours a day, streaming it on Twitch and making a living out of it... One, who goes by the name of Ninja, is now a multi-millionaire from doing just that!

But the vast majority just play for an hour or two in the evening, instead of watching TV like we did when we were kids. 

The notion that rikishi don't have enough free time to turn to their mobile and play Fortnite for a round or two is bollocks, my friend. We know they're spending hours on mobiles...

31 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Me? I used to love shooters, but I'm too old and slow these days. Constantly getting my arse kicked by 12-year-olds is somewhat less than enjoyable.

I know Fortnite is very big in the western world (I know many people that play that game and are quite addicted), I just didn't know it was as big in Japan.

I never said I play Fortnite (or any other video game), I think Video games are a complete waste of time. Not only that, the micro transactions and the gambling systems that are included in most games these days (loot boxes etc) are especially heinous since their target group is mostly children and teenagers. 

18 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

.The notion that rikishi don't have enough free time to turn to their mobile and play Fortnite for a round or two is bollocks, my friend. We know they're spending hours on mobiles...

I'm not saying that. Sometimes, someone simply has no interest in online games. And sometimes, that someone, bored to tears more than usual,  MUCH more than usual, tries it out and discovers he actually likes it. I've discovered a lot of stuff way past their expiry date. I'm willing to bet you that is exactly what happened.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

Takanoshou actually talked about sumo as well, it appears. "I will do my best to get a good start this basho to be able to grab the chance of a sanyaku promotion. I had a few bouts against Takakeishou (yesterday) and I think I won three-four of them. I had him pushed back  a few times and it gave me a lot of confidence. " He spends a lot of time watching DVDs of his own bouts. "In the second half of the basho I tend to get weak and get marched out easily. I will brace myself and gambarize so that this will not happen in Aki.." he promised.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Cup holder Terunofuji trained today- 11 bouts against Terutsuyoshi, Takarafuji, and others. "When I'm pushing forward too eagerly I fall down.. It's important to maintain balance." He is watching movies, reading books and doing some weight training, while taking supplements and protein. "I am doing what I am able to do. All I can do is go all out this coming basho," he added.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 years old Takarafuji (M5)  is chugging along. He was 5-10 last basho. "Man, I hate losing.. I feel I want that too...." he said, alluding to 35 years old Okinoumi's kachikoshi at Komusubi.  Usually during jungyo they go to the gym together to train. The last time he was in sanyaku was back in September 2016, when he was Sekiwake, ended 4-11... "Of course, I am thinking of this relentlessly," he said of a possible sanyaku return.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Terunofuji trained today- 11 bouts against Terutsuyoshi, Takarafuji, and others. "When I'm pushing forward too eagerly I fall down.. It's important to maintain balance."

In some ways, as an outsider, it feels remarkable to come out and say this. Not that I think rikishi pay a ton of attention to each others' media quotes.... but if you are watching video of your opponents and know you'll likely be facing Terunofuji, surely you'd have a plan for hatakikomi?

38 minutes ago, themistyseas said:

In some ways, as an outsider, it feels remarkable to come out and say this. Not that I think rikishi pay a ton of attention to each others' media quotes.... but if you are watching video of your opponents and know you'll likely be facing Terunofuji, surely you'd have a plan for hatakikomi?

I get what you're saying, but hatakikomi-ing Terunofuji is a LOT easier said than done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/09/2020 at 02:15, Kintamayama said:

Heya-mate Ozeki Takakeishou got married recently and so did his own sister. 

We're given a gem like this to work with and we go with a Fortnite tangent? Sheesh. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, themistyseas said:

I wouldn't automatically assume that Terunofuji is being 100% honest. Maybe he would love it if his opponents went for hatakikomi and is trying to encourage them to do so.

• Like 1

Terunofuji's weakness is plain for all to see: the massive braces he has to wear are a dead giveaway. Sensible rikishi will try to put lateral pressure on his knees.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Terunofuji's weakness is plain for all to see: the massive braces he has to wear are a dead giveaway. Sensible rikishi will try to put lateral pressure on his knees.

If Enho face Terunofuji, will Enho try to do ashitori?

Kiribayama trained at home today, 19 bouts against makushita and under. He has been watching his Oyakata's (ex-Ozeki Kirishima) videos lately. "He was strong when he got the mawashi. He keeps trying to teach me how to 'tsuri ' but I can't get the hang of it (a good one there..) Man, the Oyakata is awesome.. I would really like to do that at least once." As Kakuryuu is sidelined, he can only train with the lower rankers. He will probably face some joi at his rank of M5 this coming basho. "No one will say anything if I lose because my opponents are tough. That's my feeling. Since my opponents are strong, it's OK if I win or lose, I think," he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Maegashira 9 Enhou has regained the weight he lost lately. He dropped 4 kilos to 92 at the check ups a few weeks ago. "It goes without saying that I thought that was awful. Beyond the numbers, I felt physically that I was very light. But now I'm back. I think I'm around 96-97." He has been eating a lot of carbs. "It's especially important during the basho, I will be seriously monitoring my weight during the basho and hope to go about it without losing any weight. I was getting sick of ordering out, so I said to myself 'make your own food' and  started to cook for myself. I'm enjoying immersing myself in my cooking," he said. He mostly cooks spicy curry, the dish he loves. Keiko? "I'm going back to my roots and working on my oshi. My oyakata and the Yokozuna are forever shouting at me to move forward. That is something I must never. ever forget. These last two bashos I have been pushed around by my opponents and I feel that my lightness could be seen all too clearly. I want to show some heaviness this time in my own way," he summed.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

If it's okay to tuck charms into one's mawashi, why not lead bars?

1 hour ago, Churaumi said:

If it's okay to tuck charms into one's mawashi, why not lead bars?

To dive even faster?

[shut up, Galileo!!]