Sign in to follow this  
Houmanumi

Gagamaru Status

Posted (edited)

Is there any news on Gagamaru actually going into retirement? 

He's had quite an extended absence and I haven't heard anything about injury concerns, is there any reason why a potential intai announcement would be so delayed?

Edited by Houmanumi

I think his knees are gone.  A few years ago, he'd get beaten by slapdowns, like Aoiyama.  Now he's losing a lot by yorikiri.  That tells me his opponent just needs to get a hold of the big guy and march him out, because he can't plant and defend.

As to why he's still hanging around, that's a mystery to me, and I haven't heard anything here from the people who would know.  He's not getting paid anymore, so he must be waiting out a few basho for something; I don't think he's applying for Japanese citizenship.

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I think his knees are gone.  A few years ago, he'd get beaten by slapdowns, like Aoiyama.  Now he's losing a lot by yorikiri.  That tells me his opponent just needs to get a hold of the big guy and march him out, because he can't plant and defend.

As to why he's still hanging around, that's a mystery to me, and I haven't heard anything here from the people who would know.  He's not getting paid anymore, so he must be waiting out a few basho for something; I don't think he's applying for Japanese citizenship.

Maybe he is apply for citizenship, the paperworks take about a year?

Or maybe he just doesn't want to leave sumo just yet - he's been kyujo for the last three bashos which to me means he's injured. He may be planning a comeback ala Terunofuji, who knows. I'm pretty sure we'll see him active in a basho soon. And he's only 33..

• Thanks 1

[Please skip if you find facetious remarks offensive]

Will being kyujo for three basho interrupt his ozeki run?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Adil said:

Gagamaru running...oxymoron?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adil said:

Their is always hope as long as he is still on the Banzuke! :-D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Adil said:

As Recording Secretary of the Facetious SumoForum Posters Society, I welcome you to our association.  You will be receiving an official registration form by DM.  Once again, thank you for your interest in our Society.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

As Recording Secretary of the Facetious SumoForum Posters Society, I welcome you to our association.  You will be receiving an official registration form by DM.  Once again, thank you for your interest in our Society.

How do I join?

For some reason, I thought Gagamaru retired.  I hope he makes it back to M17.  ;-)

4 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

How do I join?

Worry not , you've already made it under the Lifetime Achievement Category.(Bow...)

• Haha 1