Sign in to follow this  
Guest gounoiwa

Introduction from Gounoiwa

Guest gounoiwa

Hello everyone.

I am 豪の巖 (Gounoiwa) from Saitama, Japan. With a bit of ingenuity you can guess my country of origin and name from my shikona.

I have been reading this forum for some time now, and find it extremely interesting and entertaining. Thanks and accolades to the management (former and current).

I have been following Sumo for the last 4 years since I came to Japan. I tape and watch all the NHK-G broadcasts, and as a rule I visit the Kokugikan at least one day every Tokyo basho (skipped this basho due to work). I have not actually donned the mawashi myself, although I would like to practise sumo in the near future.

That's all for now.

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

Gounoiwa

Australia? (Blowing horn...)

welcome Gounoiwa (Applauding...)

which Rikishi do you like? favourite heya?

p.s and family name is "Stone" perhaps

Edited by sekihiryu

Welcome, and enjoy the Forum. (Second prize...)

Hm, no, I can't figure it out from your shikona (Second prize...) But, many welcomes, anyways! (Second prize...)

Cheers

Zenjimoto

Guest gounoiwa

Yes, sekihiryu, I am from Australia. The guess for my name is a close one. I should have said that it is my *first name* that can be derived from my shikona. My surname is not related to my shikona.

Regarding favourite rikishi, I don't like to play favourites, as I think all rikishi and heya have something to offer. Having said that, what I like best is good sumo, and the one who most consistently performs good sumo at the moment is Asashoryu (although he was a little off his game this basho). Kaio is good when his back isn't playing up. Hakuhou and Hagiwara show promise.

I hope Tochiazuma recovers soon, as his style of sumo (from his yusho basho and last basho) is a bit different to the others at the top of the banzuke, except maybe Kotomitsuki. It's always good to see the best of a variety of styles fight eachother.

Thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome.

Gounoiwa

Welcome aboard Gounoiwa- (Blushing...)

Chuck your salt in and join the fray.

Your first name is Cliff.

It's interesting that you use an old representation of IWA (like not IWA of IWAkiyama).

One of my favorite rikishis (I tend to like a journeyman type of rikishis who sort of overcome their injuries somehow and manage to crawl up to Makuuchi) is Tochisakae.

His SAKAE part cames from his high school Saitama Sakae, it's a well known sports school in the East Japan while the west has Meitoku Gijuku, alma mater of Asashoryu/Asasekiryu.

But I digressed. Tochisakae was once know as TochinoIWA using the same kanji as you use. He changed his shikona as he was spending so much time in hospitals like having a nose surgery done and I remember he also was half paralyzed one time.

Another IWA rikishi is Iwatora whose highest rank was Maegashira 7. He made dohyo debut in 1962 and four Makuuchi bashos to his credit. After leaving the Kyokai in 1979, he went to New York and started a Japanese food/grocery business.

And then of course you have ITSUKUshima Sekiemon who made his dohyo debut back in 1844 and went as high as Maeagshira 3. He had a total of 19 Makuuchi bashos and became Toshiyori Inagawa.

Incidentally he drowned to death.

Welcome!

I am in awe over posts like the above by Jonosuke. It's great to have you here, sharing your knowledge with us! (Showing respect...)

And of course, a hearty welcome to Gounoiwa! (Applauding...)

Guest gounoiwa

Cliff, Rocky - all good guesses. I'll end the suspense, my real name is Peter.

I prefer older kanji wherever possible, for aesthetic reasons.

Jonosuke, your knowledge of shikona minutiae is most impressive. As I live in Saitama, I am aware of Tochisakae's affiliation to Saitama Sakae (which also has a strong baseball team). I did not know he was also Tochinoiwa.

I look forward to learning more from you all.

I prefer older kanji wherever possible, for aesthetic reasons.

Jonosuke, your knowledge of shikona minutiae is most impressive. As I live in Saitama, I am aware of Tochisakae's affiliation to Saitama Sakae (which also has a strong baseball team). I did not know he was also Tochinoiwa.

I look forward to learning more from you all.

gouinoiwa-san,

whereabouts are you in Saitama - got Oitekaze-beya in the bottom right corner (SE) near Soka / Yatsuka

ANR - welcome by the way

Close then! :'-(

Guest gounoiwa

To Adachinoryu

I am in Chichibu. Getting to Soka is the same as getting to Tokyo for me. There is a strong high school sumo club (Chichibu NouKou) in my area, but it is not as strong as Saitama Sakae. That's about it really.

You'll be able to catch the sumo comp of the National Athletic Meet (Kokutai) in late October. It is being held in Soka, as you probably already know.

You'll be able to catch the sumo comp of the National Athletic Meet (Kokutai) in late October. It is being held in Soka, as you probably already know.

excellent - 3 stops from me on the train is Soka. Thanks. B-)

To Adachinoryu

I am in Chichibu. Getting to Soka is the same as getting to Tokyo for me. There is a strong high school sumo club (Chichibu NouKou) in my area, but it is not as strong as Saitama Sakae. That's about it really.

1 heya in Kawaguchi if I am not mistaken - (closer than Yatsuka / Oitekaze) can't remember the name of it now. Cheers for the post B-)