Kintamayama

Shikihide beya troubles

How can with the huge amount of rice needed in a heya, some as old as 4 years can exist there? Especially one like Shikihide, which is constantly in need of food donations. Seems like Nikkan joined the tabloid world.

• Like 1

Just now, Akinomaki said:

How can with the huge amount of rice needed in a heya, some as old as 4 years can exist there? Especially one like Shikihide, which is constantly in need of food donations. Seems like Nikkan joined the tabloid world.

I think they were quoting the rikishi there.

1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

I think they were quoting the rikishi there.

I think they should check the credibility of their sources

Rice lasts a long time if properly stored. Years.

If, however, it is kept badly and weevils get in, then something awful happens to it. The smell is really putrid. It has to be disposed of of very carefully because the weevils will be more than happy to move the venue for their banquet to your fresh flour or other larder staples.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Kyokai is in a bind here. Since an Okamisan is not a Kyokai member, the Rijikai  cannot punish her. She is not employed by the Kyokai. On the one hand, she is a mother of sorts to all rikishi and plays an important role in the heya, and on the other hand-the  Kyokai may decide to deal with the Oyakata harshly because he is not doing his job, regardless of the circumstances. One of the Oyakata who visited the heya back in January : "I was willing to help out but in the end it's the Oyakata and his wife's problem and it's not my place to intervene.. "I would rather the Kyokai not meddle too much in the heya's affairs as possible.." said another Oyakata. It seems that rather than relying on the Oyakata's abilities to fix the problem, the Kyokai needs to come up with a plan.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My wife is an amazing chef and veritable rice expert who says 6 months is the longest you should store rice, even under optimum conditions. If it’s vacuum packed, 6mos. Packages will indicate this with a best before date. Otherwise packaged, only 3 months. After that weevils will emerge and taste can also go off.

1 hour ago, since_94 said:

My wife is an amazing chef and veritable rice expert who says 6 months is the longest you should store rice, even under optimum conditions. If it’s vacuum packed, 6mos. Packages will indicate this with a best before date. Otherwise packaged, only 3 months. After that weevils will emerge and taste can also go off.

I should think weevils that infest rice are much more common in countries where rice is the staple. Here in the UK you can keep rice for much longer under cool, dry conditions. That's not to say we don't have our own pests to watch out for. 'Flour bugs' are weevils too.

Rice doesn't 'go off' per se, but the presence of pests' excretions makes it taste bad.

I was under the impression that a heya's rikishi do the cooking, so what I don't get is why they even bothered cooking 'bad rice'. If this okami-san was only providing 'bad rice' for them to cook with... well, that's just malicious.

---

Considering how many 'spare' oyakata the Kyokai has (i.e. elders who don't have their own stable), and how many problems have occurred in the past when stable bosses have fallen ill and not been present long term (e.g. Nishikido-beya when the Canadian lad was there), it is a little astounding that they don't have the means to cover absences with 'locum' oyakata from the same ichimon. 

In an exclusively male world like ozumo, putting an untrained female in charge is bound to cause problems. That's not a sexist thing to say, just a statement of fact, though I would not argue against sexism being the reason the problems occur. 

The ties between heya within an ichimon are a lot looser than they used to be, I think. Maybe in the past the Dewanoumi ichimon would have intervened before things got out of hand, but that doesn't seem to happen these days. 

Keiko at the heya has resumed under the watchful eyes of Shikihide Oyakata. Light fundamentals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 05/08/2020 at 00:34, Amamaniac said:

Before passing judgement on the Shikihide Okamisan, I recommend watching this video.  It gives an excellent look into the running of this stable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=sSE5wQsVrBo

That is part 2 of the 2016 scoop part on her, the same channel also has part 1 (low-res), where she shows the mass of rice that gets donated: "They eat that up in an instant" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TtVDwbC8RY

the whole show with her and 3 other okami-san in the studio: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Vb411G7ag

Under the same name, I found the first part of this one from Aki 2017:

On 25/09/2017 at 19:10, Akinomaki said:

Today was okamisan-day, BS TBS had detailed reports on okamisan and heya of Yamahibiki- and Shikihide-beya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In0mCyFG3D0&t=26m2s

- till 45min, then the video jumps back and repeats

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1