Kintamayama

September (Aki) Basho- offical thread (yay..)

25 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

The word on Kotoshogiku is a torn left calf muscle. Two weeks required for recovery. If that's the case, we won't be seeing him back this basho. 

"Two weeks required for recovery" translates to "back in action after four days" in the world of Ozumo.

• Like 1

Wow.  Tobizaru has Kotoshoho's number.   

As I have said before, Hoshoryu will have to work for his KK.  He has the skills but seems to be lacking that extra strength/power.  20 pounds of more muscle may transform him to the next level.  

I knew Kotoshogiku's injury was serious.  Well, he will be dropped to juryo.   I wonder if he will call it quits rather than toiling the lower division.  

Tobizaru profits from Corona measures: each time he can fly into the space where else the best customers would be sitting.

15 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

"Two weeks required for recovery" translates to "back in action after four days" in the world of Ozumo.

Indeed, ex-Kotonowaka, his stablemaster, is in the opposite side announcer's booth today and mentioned the possibility of a return this basho. "Taking it day by day," he said. 

It appears the other rikishi have spent their downtime watching Enho videos, and have him fully figured out now. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

Takayasu "drops."

Going back to the last basho, Enho has now lost 10 of his last 11 bouts. 

• Sad 1

That Tamawashi-Okinoumi match looked more like a drunken bar brawl than a sumo match.

What's the story with Futagoyama running off and coming back mid-shimpan duty? I don't remember ever seeing that before.

edit: Or did he replace someone?

Edited by yohcun

1 minute ago, yohcun said:

What's the story with Futagoyama running off and coming back mid-shimpan duty? I don't remember ever seeing that before.

Potty break. Seriously, that's what they said. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Haha 2

Just now, Tigerboy1966 said:

Poor stuff from Endo. He just sort of stood there and let Shodai do his thing.

I knew that yusho prediction was ill-fated...

5 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Potty break. Seriously, that's what they said. 

I guess he was sick because of Takayasu and Mitakeumi.

Is it just me or has the tate-gyoji shed a lot of weight? Whatever health problem he had looks to have hit him with some force. (Sorry if this has already been mentioned).

I got nothin'. What can I even say about this basho other than ""WTF?" 

Put on your helmets, folks, I get the feeling there's gonna be a lot of facepalming done before senshuraku. 

3 minutes ago, yohcun said:

Is it just me or has the tate-gyoji shed a lot of weight? Whatever health problem he had looks to have hit him with some force. (Sorry if this has already been mentioned).

You're referring to his face and paunch? The cameras don't focus on him very much but I daresay you're right. Speculation last basho was COVID scare (like with Konosuke), but it looks a bit more serious than that.

Exciting finish with both Ozeki following Futagoyama Oyakata to the crapper.

Tomorrow will be a pivotal day, with Shodai facing Terunofuji and Asanoyama, now perhaps thinking about avoiding kadoban more than gaining he rope, facing Hokutofuji. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

1 minute ago, Kaninoyama said:

Exciting finish with both Ozeki crapping the bed. 

Tomorrow will be a pivotal day, with Shodai facing Terunofuji and Asanoyama, now perhaps thinking about avoiding kadoban more than gaining he rope, facing Hokutofuji. 

Severely disappointed with both of them. Asanoyama's still way too eager, and Takakeisho has gone back to the bad habit of pulling. Hopefully both of them stop the rot here. 

The only one looking really good in sanyaku is Shodai. Beyond that, you'd have to go down to Takanosho for any decent performances.

5 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

The only one looking really good in sanyaku is Shodai. Beyond that, you'd have to go down to Takanosho for any decent performances.

Myogiryu is even decenterer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

A calm Konosuke at the kaobure

I'm curious why it is that most other sumo rituals are called by their formal name, yet kaobure consistently gets announced as "torikumi gohiro" (i.e., bout announcements) and the term "kaobure" is not used.

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

It appears the other rikishi have spent their downtime watching Enho videos, and have him fully figured out now. 

It is clear to me that Enho has lost his mojo.

There are two possibilities that come to mind: (1) other Top Division wrestlers have Enho "figured out", as you say, and (2) there is something wrong with Enho.  Careful observation of Enho's back reveals that he is struggling with the weight differentials and perhaps his back is starting to cause problems.  

In previous tournaments, we would regularly see TCM cupping marks down both sides of his spine.  In this tournament, however, it appears that Enho is now resorting to acupuncture.  On day 1, he had about four little white tags on his back covering the spots where needles had been inserted.  Today there were many, many more such tags.  That would suggest that his condition is getting worse.  

For a small wrestler like Enho to have to deal with back pain, I suspect it is cramping his style making it much more difficult for him to "surprise" his opponents with quick lateral movement and countermoves...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

38 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

It is clear to me that Enho has lost his mojo.

There are two possibilities that come to mind: (1) other Top Division wrestlers have Enho "figured out", as you say, and (2) there is something wrong with Enho.  Careful observation of Enho's back reveals that he is struggling with the weight differentials and perhaps his back is starting to cause problems.  

In previous tournaments, we would regularly see TCM cupping marks down both sides of his spine.  In this tournament, however, it appears that Enho is now resorting to acupuncture.  On day 1, he had about four little white tags on his back covering the spots where needles had been inserted.  Today there were many, many more such tags.  That would suggest that his condition is getting worse.  

For a small wrestler like Enho to have to deal with back pain, I suspect it is cramping his style making it much more difficult for him to "surprise" his opponents with quick lateral movement and countermoves...

He's just facing a barrage of problems. We got to consider the fact that both his Makuuchi stablemates are sonkyo-less and hence not exactly great training partners. Do you think Enho is the type that needs a lot of degeiko to get into shape? I think that might also be the case. It's definitely not an Ichinojo weight back situation - so perhaps bad posture, not enough warmups or just wear and tear against other rikishi? 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

23 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

He's just facing a barrage of problems. We got to consider the fact that both his Makuuchi stablemates are sonkyo-less and hence not exactly great training partners. Do you think Enho is the type that needs a lot of degeiko to get into shape? I think that might also be the case. It's definitely not an Ichinojo weight back situation - so perhaps bad posture, not enough warmups or just wear and tear against other rikishi? 

Yeah, his sumo is probably more susceptible to ring rust than most (say, e.g. Takakeisho which is basically apply overwhelming force in one direction). His sekitori stablemates are already not the best partners for him, relative to the rest of the opponents he'll be facing, and they're both out of commission this basho. God knows what's ailing the fire pixie, but a change in mawashi ain't gonna fix it in a hurry; his lack of performance is probably a combination of all the factors that have been and will be mentioned about him.

Edited by Seiyashi

46 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

He's just facing a barrage of problems.

The cause for his weak performance is not in one of those fancy reasons like missing stablemates etc.

It's just what Kintamayama predicted months ago: "End of his success is, when they figure him out"

• Like 1

That crash of heads between Meise and Shimanoumi...Yikes! Watch it again with the volume up if you missed it the first time. Sounded like cartoon sound effect of two coconuts bashing together, but nthing funny about it.  Shodai looking very powerful---that shove had serious authority behind it. Miyogiryu and Daiesho was a great, spirited fight. Miyogiryu really looks on his game at 3-0. Hokutofuji victory over Takakeisho was a pleasant surprise to keep the Ozeki honest.

• Like 1