Kintamayama

September (Aki) Basho- offical thread (yay..)

This yusho is getting cheaper by the minute. At least Asanoyama and Terunofuji won't both be winless after day 3.

• Like 1

Just now, code_number3 said:

What happened to asanoyama?!!

Endo and Takanosho are no slouches.   Still, who'd thought Asanoyama would start the basho with two losses?   

All 3 Sekiwake are looking good.  Takakeisho appears to be back to himself.  

Genuinely curious as to what people think: who is your guess for yusho winner?

13 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

His problem was Mitakeumi.  ;-)  

Funny, you wouldn't think that from last basho...

7 minutes ago, Dwale said:

Honestly? Right now, either Shodai or Takakeisho, even though both are jinxed by Wakanohana. Terunofuji's feeling the effects of the NHK preview team's jinx, and Asanoyama is probably a bit too eager for the yusho to do his own sumo right now. It's still early days, but of the rest of the perfect winrate rikishi, only Takayasu and Kotoshoho are probable dark horses; everyone else is a bit too far of a shot in the dark.

Edited by Seiyashi

Was actually really glad to see Kotoshogiku without bandages but today's bout really makes me worry about him going kyujo. 

Am also really worried about Enho as well, but glad he didn't sustain an injury after being squished out like that. Without degeiko and with his Makuuchi stablemates out, I think he might be fighting blind this basho and just has to wait out the degeiko ban, but could be wrong. 

Terutsuyoshi is looking good this basho and really coming into his own! 

Mitakeumi's always been a tricky one, so I was kind of expecting Terunofuji to lose. 

I am not sure about what happened to Asanoyama, but perhaps he got nervous (especially about making yokozuna with Takasago leaving soon?) 

I think Shodai or Takakeisho might take the yusho, with my dark horse candidates being Terutsuyoshi and Kiribayama. Would Shodai qualify for Ozeki if he wins this? 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

2 minutes ago, Dwale said:

I think yusho winner predictions on day 2 are as worthy as the 1991 fleer baseball card set. ;-)

I know it is fun to speculate, but I wouldn't give a thing on predictions made before day 11 or 12.

1 minute ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Would Shodai qualify for Ozeki if he wins this? 

Depends on how cheap this yusho will become.

10 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Depends on how cheap this yusho will become.

If it becomes a soft 11-4 or even a 12-3, I doubt it. But a good 13-2 beating either Asanoyama or Takakeisho will most likely do it, I think, even without a yusho. Of course, looking at the way this basho is going, a 13-2 is likely to be the yusho score.

11 minutes ago, Raishu said:

I think yusho winner predictions on day 2 are as worthy as the 1991 fleer baseball card set. ;-)

I know it is fun to speculate, but I wouldn't give a thing on predictions made before day 11 or 12.

Personally, I don't put much stock in predictions no matter when they're made. The question is less about the yusho than it is about the perceptions of the fans.

13 minutes ago, Raishu said:

Well, predictions made by then are pretty much permutation-crunching and boil down to the results between the leaders. Part of the thing about predictions now is less about the score and more about the form - Takakeisho and Shodai are looking really good this basho, while Enho is probably headed for double digit losses, Endo is all over the place, and Terunofuji and Asanoyama both need to get a grip ASAP.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dwale said:

Personally, I don't put much stock in predictions no matter when they're made. The question is less about the yusho than it is about the perceptions of the fans.

And I think Wakanohana's record ever since he started appearing on Abema bears out this observation (0% hit rate).

I'm sensing that Terunofuji's heart is not in this tournament.  In his interviews, rather than saying he wants to make his way back to Ozeki – and perhaps beyond, he is saying that in the July Tournament he accomplished his goal (i.e., returning to the Top Division and winning another Top Division championship).  Once you say you've accomplished your goal, you lose your motivation.  Terunofuji should take a page out of Hakuho's book, always setting new goals.  

But goals aren't everything.  Sometimes the body just can't deliver what the mind is set on.  

Edited by Amamaniac

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Well, predictions made by then are pretty much permutation-crunching and boil down to the results between the leaders. Part of the thing about predictions now is less about the score and more about the form - Takakeisho and Shodai are looking really good this basho, while Enho is probably headed for double digit losses, Endo is all over the place, and Terunofuji and Asanoyama both need to get a grip ASAP.

So, the question should be about form and not outcome, right? :-)

I know it is nitpcking, but it is somewhat funny to often read yusho predictions made by users within the first three days of the tournament, only for them to revise their view on day 8 (when day 3 leader has crumbled already) and dropping their day 8 pick on day 12 to commit themselves to the actual yusho winner. :-)

But all good here! This is just my personal take on this. :-)

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Raishu said:

I know it is nitpcking, but it is somewhat funny to often read yusho predictions made by users within the first three days of the tournament, only for them to revise their view on day 8 (when day 3 leader has crumbled already) and dropping their day 8 pick on day 12 to commit themselves to the actual yusho winner. :-)

If Wakanohana can do it, so can we XD

As they say in the financial services business, past performance is no indicator of future performance. One really bad injury later and some frontrunner (:cough: Hakuho :cough:) could be right out despite dominating every match so far.

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Honestly? Right now, either Shodai or Takakeisho, even though both are jinxed by Wakanohana. Terunofuji's feeling the effects of the NHK preview team's jinx, and Asanoyama is probably a bit too eager for the yusho to do his own sumo right now. It's still early days, but of the rest of the perfect winrate rikishi, only Takayasu and Kotoshoho are probable dark horses; everyone else is a bit too far of a shot in the dark.

After Hatsu this year, I no longer believe in "a bit too far of a shot in the dark".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Houmanumi said:

After Hatsu this year, I no longer believe in "a bit too far of a shot in the dark".

Point taken. I believe there is a post of me saying somewhere else in this forum that Tokushoryu is the ultra dark horse as far as all makujiri winners are concerned, since he's the only one of them not to have been or to (yet) be sanyaku.

After the persistence to go on like he started, I opt for a yusho by Onosho - with a chance by Shodai and Mitakeumi to force a playoff.

For the hell of it, on the flip side - let's play the "crash and burn" game - which rikishi do you think will wind up with the worst records (of course, excluding kyujos, complete or partial)?

I'd say Enho, Tochinoshin, Kotoshogiku (if he doesn't go kyujo), and Terunofuji. The three ex-ozeki all look like they're running out of gas in the tank, and Enho's usual sumo has been missing ever since July.

4 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Point taken. I believe there is a post of me saying somewhere else in this forum that Tokushoryu is the ultra dark horse as far as all makujiri winners are concerned, since he's the only one of them not to have been or to (yet) be sanyaku.

It's madness. I was firmly in the "well, we'll never see that again". Then boom, Terunofuji from M17. Not the same I know, but honestly, I don't know that anything could truly surprise me from here. 

5 minutes ago, Houmanumi said:

It's madness. I was firmly in the "well, we'll never see that again". Then boom, Terunofuji from M17. Not the same I know, but honestly, I don't know that anything could truly surprise me from here. 

Double M17 yusho for the rest of the year, coming up. Next up - Ichinojo! (Firstprize...)

Going by current performances (and lack of anyone good in Juryo), next M17 will be Kotoshogiku. He takes the yusho in November, regrets that it can't be in his hometown, and retires on the spot, being the only rikishi in history to retire at his championship ceremony. The next day, he disappears, and people realise he's made off with the Emperor's Cup, since he doesn't need to return it next tournament. Police ask the public to look out for one man with a cup and no knees.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Houmanumi said:

So the Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times" is true... 

2 M17 yushos and a virus rampaging around - truly an exciting time to be a sumo fan. 

48 minutes ago, Hakuryuho said:

Hoshoryu robbed

Agreed. Should have been a torinaoshi. Was this the dead body rule in effect? I suppose. As for the judge’s explanation by former Mitoizumi, now Nishikido...Wow. What a shambles. That’s all I can say.

• Like 1