Kintamayama

September (Aki) Basho- offical thread (yay..)

That was an unconvincing win by Ura.  No matter.  He is going to need all the wins to join Juyro.

Now that all the exciting up-and-comers in Juryo have been promoted to Makuuchi over the last few basho, it feels like there's very little reason to watch the bulk of the Juryo matches. There might be 2-3 bouts involving shin-sekitori or unlucky Makuuchi demoties, but most of the matches seem to me to involve Juryo journeymen who've been around since I started watching.

Can't wait for the next batch of hot stuff to get through the wall.

• Like 1

I think Ura expectations should be tempered a bit at this point. It's been a looong time since he last faced (near) sekitori level opposition.

I just set myself up to look like an idiot after he goes 7-0, though.

I've never seen a mage quite so undone after a bout as Kitaharima's was.

6 minutes ago, yohcun said:

I think Ura expectations should be tempered a bit at this point. It's been a looong time since he last faced (near) sekitori level opposition.

Odd though. His stable is not short of sekitori or ex-sekitori for training partners; you'd think that he'd be able to practice with them to some extent.

Perhaps what's undoing him more is the Terunofuji precedent, since their storylines are so similar. Ura is nowhere near Terunofuji's level in terms of power and strength, even before their injuries, and it might be a subconscious thing for us to point to Terunofuji and say "that's what a comeback looks like", which of course Ura is probably not going to pull off.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Now that all the exciting up-and-comers in Juryo have been promoted to Makuuchi over the last few basho, it feels like there's very little reason to watch the bulk of the Juryo matches. There might be 2-3 bouts involving shin-sekitori or unlucky Makuuchi demoties, but most of the matches seem to me to involve Juryo journeymen who've been around since I started watching.

Have to agree sadly. Look at the juryo banzuke and ask yourself how many of these men can you see reaching sanyaku. The only one I can spot is Kotonowaka.

Looks like Inosuke is not that fit after all, Tamajiro did the kaobure gonjo day 3 torikumi presentation.

8 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Look at the juryo banzuke and ask yourself how many of these men can you see reaching sanyaku. The only one I can spot is Kotonowaka.

It's okay. People always tend to disregard Akiseyama.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Lately the Prime Minister's cup is handed over by Hakkaku as well, but maybe Suga wants to do it himself now - he did it several times for Abe, and has been reported to have been a versatile athlete at school, sumo included.

A typical Nishikido mono-ii explanation - he couldn't recall who was who

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

I had Onomatsu flashbacks. 

• Haha 1

KK will be a good result for Ohsorryou.  

A veteran-like win by Kotoshoho. An Ozeki in making? Yokozuna, even?   He got the size, quickness, and only 21 years old.  

Kotoshogiku's knee gave out.  Kyujo?

Looks like Kotoshogiku injured his calf, which was already taped. Although after the bout he told the reporter it was "daijobu." 

15 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

And he had to check it more than once (Laughing...)

Just now, yohcun said:

He was like "aaa sumimasen" (Laughing...)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Looks like Kotoshogiku injured his calf, which was already taped. Although after the bout he told the reporter it was "daijobu." 

Ok!  Daijobu (I had to google the meaning in English) it is!

Enho got manhandled for two days in a row.  At this rate, he will end up in a hospital.  

22 minutes ago, yohcun said:

At least nishikido still call names, unlike former onomatsu

Takayasu looks to be healthy.  He is squaring up well instead of leaning to one side.   I will throw him in the yusho lottery.

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Looks like Inosuke is not that fit after all, Tamajiro did the kaobure gonjo day 3 torikumi presentation.

Inosuke’s voice seems different to me. Just recovered from respiratory infection?

57 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Lately the Prime Minister's cup is handed over by Hakkaku as well, but maybe Suga wants to do it himself now - he did it several times for Abe, and has been reported to have been a versatile athlete at school, sumo included.

just see the news that Suga is elected as party president and soon-to-be PM.

18 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

At least nishikido still call names, unlike former onomatsu

Not sure that's because of personal preference. As I recall, after the last Onomatsu screwups, they made the shimpan call rikishi names rather than East and West - which was what got Onomatsu in a pickle last time.

Today Terunofuji's got the opposite problem - too much going forward.

2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Today Terunofuji's got the opposite problem - too much going forward.

His problem was Mitakeumi.  ;-)  

• Like 1