Kintamayama

September (Aki) Basho- offical thread (yay..)

Recommended Posts

Would have preferred playoffs (wouldn't we all have?), but no question Shodai deserved to take the cup this time around. Congratulations to him. Congratulations to Tobizaru, too, a guy who looks like he might just have a bright future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well deserved Yusho for Shodai who has been incredible this basho, so so so happy to see him win finally and he may get promoted to ozeki on top of that !  Congratulations to Tobizaru as well, he fought with all his heart every single day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

The bulk of the Takakeisho-Asanoyama bout looked worthy of being ozeki-class, but that final pushout of Asanoyama looked ugly. Takakeisho putting on some of his best sumo since his promotion, but Asanoyama not looking in very good shape this tournament.

I think he did well after starting the basho with 3 losses.  I.e, he didn't fold.  Let's see what he does in the next basho.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Daishodai

Sounds too much like a death threat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dwale said:

Would have preferred playoffs (wouldn't we all have?), but no question Shodai deserved to take the cup this time around. Congratulations to him. Congratulations to Tobizaru, too, a guy who looks like he might just have a bright future.

I think Tobizaru will have a good Makuuchi career with occasional sanyuku spot.  I think his size (lack of) will hold him back from going further than that.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Sounds too much like a death threat.

Yudai (pronounced like "you die") is a common name in Japan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kaninoyama said:

Yudai (pronounced like "you die") is a common name in Japan. 

There’s a rugby coach who goes by the name Dai Young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

There’s a rugby coach who goes by the name Dai Young.

And how old is he? I hope he hasn't, well, died young (Laughing...)

4 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:
5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Sounds too much like a death threat.

Yudai (pronounced like "you die") is a common name in Japan. 

Can I point out that in English, to "shine" can look like cursing someone to die if you parse it in romaji?

Edited by Seiyashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd choice of music when the cup is presented: Händels' music from the oratorio Judas Maccabeus, more known with the text "Tochter Zion, freue dich" (Daughter Zion, rejoice). I guess they just wanted a nice tune which everyone knows. Do they always play that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hakkaku again handed over the prime minister's cup. If Suga were from Kumamoto and not Akita, he might have done it himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Akinomaki said:

Hakkaku again handed over the prime minister's cup. If Suga were from Kumamoto and not Akita, he might have done it himself.

If Suga is waiting for Akita-born rikishi to win the PM Cup, he's got a long time to wait. There's 8 rikishi from Akita on the entire banzuke and none of them look close to getting into makuuchi, let alone winning the cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

Odd choice of music when the cup is presented: Händels' music from the oratorio Judas Maccabeus, more known with the text "Tochter Zion, freue dich" (Daughter Zion, rejoice). I guess they just wanted a nice tune which everyone knows. Do they always play that?

Halleluyah.  They should have played the theme from Rocky.  Everyone knows that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, robnplunder said:

Halleluyah.  They should have played the theme from Rocky.  Everyone knows that one. 

Found the thread: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even more than Shoudai, my hat is off to Moti zeki. Well, it was already off because of your knowledge and experience, but this time, I am throwing it out the window altogether.

You kept calling him the next/future ozeki from the beginning (Shoudai, not the hat), even though at that time, another rising star looked to be more exciting (Mitakeumi). For a while, it looked like Shoudai might not reach the top with some so-so results, but here we are. Three cheers for Moti!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even without the Yokozuna this basho was really good. Takakeishou was in good form, Takayasu with 10 wins and looking to be almost back to his sumo. The amazing debut of Tobizaru and even Asanoyama with his shaky start showed is worth the Ozeki name. 

Also congrats to Shoudai, the best rikishi  in the tournament won IMO. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

There goes Oki's life down the drain...

Or do you mean "elevator"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Shozeki, yushodai, .., what else?  Daishodai?  

Unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the sole runner-up with an excellent 12-3 result as ozeki, Takakeisho laid the foundation for a yokozuna run. It will be interesting to hear the comments of Isegahama and the YDC.

Asanoyama is back to 0, a win and he had been (co-)runner-up again.

Edited by Akinomaki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Akinomaki said:

As the sole runner-up with an excellent 12-3 result as ozeki, Takakeisho laid the foundation for a yokozuna run. It will be interesting to hear the comments of Isegahama and the YDC.

Not sure about foundations for a run in the traditional sense, but for long-term case building, yes. Kisenosato’s 12 jun-yusho eventually combined for a ‘yusho equivalent’. Takakeisho could take a similar path to the rope. He doesn’t strike me as someone likely to do the two consecutive yusho thing, though of course these things are impossible to predict. It’s just a gut feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Not sure about foundations for a run in the traditional sense, but for long-term case building, yes. Kisenosato’s 12 jun-yusho eventually combined for a ‘yusho equivalent’. Takakeisho could take a similar path to the rope. He doesn’t strike me as someone likely to do the two consecutive yusho thing, though of course these things are impossible to predict. It’s just a gut feeling.

At the risk of jinxing him, the parallels with Kisenosato may be more apposite than we think and fear, considering Takakeisho has got a chest injury in a similar position as Kisenosato's. The only hope is that Chiganoura is a lot more enlightened about injuries than Tagonoura seems to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to Shodai! Despite missing his chance this January, I felt there was something different to his sumo and finally his time has come. He was the best rikishi of the tournament and his yusho was very very well-deserved. Seeing his family just exploded was incredibly touching and I just love seeing people genuinely support rikishi. 

A motion for Shodai's Ozeki-hood has been submitted and I sincerely hope it goes through. I would promote him. 

This has been an exciting basho folks, and we'll see if Shodai can keep it up. 

I had a fantastic time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mitakeumi never had an "almost" moment (and he has zero junyusho count!). Shodai had at least two -- his dad said that if he missed this one as well, he might not get a chance again for a long time. Thankfully it worked this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now