Kintamayama

September (Aki) Basho- offical thread (yay..)

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

We'll see about Kotonowaka... He didn't finish this basho well, I expected him to dominate juryo more. If he is cut from the same cloth as his father he will be a makuuchi regular and occasional sanyaku but not more.

He's young, he's huge, he has a great pedigree, and he's coming off an injury. Agree the jury is still out but I'm expecting big things from him in the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eikokurai said:

Yes, he may do. I said as much yesterday but was assuming he’d go kyujo today so wouldn’t get the 9th. He ought to.

Well, he's in the kore yori sanyaku at the moment, so he must be holding out for the chance of a komusubi promotion too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done, Takanosho.  

5 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

We'll see about Kotonowaka... He didn't finish this basho well, I expected him to dominate juryo more. If he is cut from the same cloth as his father he will be a makuuchi regular and occasional sanyaku but not more.

The age is in his favor.  But of the two Koto*, I think Kotoshoho will go farther.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

Well done, Takanosho.  

The age is in his favor.  But of the two Koto*, I think Kotoshoho will go farther.

Based on performance so far, I concur. His grandfather may have been a yokozuna but Kotozakura was not a particularly strong or long-lived yokozuna; most of his results came from ozeki. But having the two on a similar trajectory in a friendly rivalry may do wonders for their sumo as with other high-ranking stablemate pairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:
6 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Yes, he may do. I said as much yesterday but was assuming he’d go kyujo today so wouldn’t get the 9th. He ought to.

Well, he's in the kore yori sanyaku at the moment, so he must be holding out for the chance of a komusubi promotion too.

And now Kiribayama is giving the banzuke committee a real headache when deciding whether to promote him or Takayasu. I have a feeling this win might just tip it in his favour, since he's outfought Mitakeumi even on a busted shoulder; that should be a pretty impressive image for the banzuke committee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eikokurai said:

Mitakeumi ...

*shakes head*

Probably a good thing he's not ozeki, with that kind of sumo. I am beginning to suspect that deep down, he subconsciously doesn't really want to be ozeki because of all the burden of expectation on his head, and is happy enough with sekiwake and the odd championship. Nothing else explains the amount of talking about the rank and yet the failure to step up at critical moments - or in dispatching opponents his best self would never have problems with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the 5th straight basho which Mitakeumi has dropped his 15th-day bout.  I knew Kiribiyama with a busted shoulder has a chance against Mitakeumi who has a habit of losing to a lesser ranked rikishi in 2nd half of the basho.   Even so, he was terrible today.  I am dropping Mita from my favorite list and adding Tobizaru in his place.  B-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My stream cut out for the entire pre-bout ritual and just came in as the bout started. Tobizaru did very well indeed. Still ... Shooooodai! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

Probably a good thing he's not ozeki, with that kind of sumo. I am beginning to suspect that deep down, he subconsciously doesn't really want to be ozeki because of all the burden of expectation on his head, and is happy enough with sekiwake and the odd championship. Nothing else explains the amount of talking about the rank and yet the failure to step up at critical moments - or in dispatching opponents his best self would never have problems with.

The dude had to be convinced to join ozumo after his brilliant college career.  His heart may not be in it since he already won two yusho.  I am just speculating here.   

Yeah!  Shodai - yusho - ozeki!   Perhaps, this will fire up Mitakeumi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

The dude had to be convinced to join ozumo after his brilliant college career.  His heart may not be in it since he already won two yusho.  I am just speculating here.   

Yeah!  Shodai - yusho - ozeki!   Perhaps, this will fire up Mitakeumi.

That makes it three people who've jumped over him; the chances appear to be vanishingly slim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To his credit, Tobizaru made a better final obstacle than Mitakeumi looks like he would've.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shodai was lucky to beat Tobizaru (who had him in moroazoshi) but somehow pulled it off.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, themistyseas said:

Tobizaru's ugly cry at the end was everything. Wow.

A match worthy of the yusho.

Nothing to be ashamed of though. That's one of the best shinnyumaku debuts ever since Ichinojo and Goeido, and he lost to arguably the man in the best form right now on the banzuke. He'll have further chances next time, especially after he improves his sumo - it's not quite working against ozeki-class opponents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am delighted that Shodai managed to finish with 8 (!) straight wins and go 13-2. (Yushowinner...)

And Tobizaru has won everyone's heart. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yohcun said:

To his credit, Tobizaru made a better final obstacle than Mitakeumi looks like he would've.

10000%. Mitakeumi has been shocking. One thing that's been glossed over is he was gifted a couple of extremely easy wins midway through the tournament. I don't think his overall performance was by and large any better than Daieisho's 5-10.

Not taking anything away from his two yusho (I was there for the last one), but how many more future Ozeki will pass him by?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Nothing to be ashamed of though. That's one of the best shinnyumaku debuts ever since Ichinojo and Goeido, and he lost to arguably the man in the best form right now on the banzuke. He'll have further chances next time, especially after he improves his sumo - it's not quite working against ozeki-class opponents.

Fully. Something that has been a breath of fresh air is just how much he has enjoyed this incredible experience. His personality is an extremely welcome addition to the top division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bulk of the Takakeisho-Asanoyama bout looked worthy of being ozeki-class, but that final pushout of Asanoyama looked ugly. Takakeisho putting on some of his best sumo since his promotion, but Asanoyama not looking in very good shape this tournament.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awww, that footage of him walking down the hanamichi almost in tears and hugging his tsukebito, and then cutting to his hometown exploding. Utterly heartwarming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now