Kintamayama

September (Aki) Basho- offical thread (yay..)

14 minutes ago, Adil said:

Enho vs Terutsuyoshi: There are very few things in sumo more satisfying than seeing a certified and professional henka-er getting henkaed.

Yeah, there was a bit of hanky panky.  

• Like 1

Just now, Kashunowaka said:

I don't think that helps, as at least two 11-2 rikishi should face each other tomorrow.

Good point.

Takanosho has certainly earned his place in sanyaku. It will be interesting to see if he can stabilize his sumo on this level.

• Like 2

Just noticed Takekeisho didn't do his squat 'n' flop sitting technique. Has he not been doing that all basho?

13 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

I don't think that helps, as at least two 11-2 rikishi should face each other tomorrow.

And now Wakatakakage goes the way of Onosho too. 

Just now, Eikokurai said:

And now Wakatakakage goes the way of Onosho too. 

W10e fought valiantly against Mitakeumi, who looked tentative. In the end Mita saved his sekiwake rank - good!

7 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

Takanosho has certainly earned his place in sanyaku. It will be interesting to see if he can stabilize his sumo on this level.

I think he will be a regular sanyuku member and possibly more.   He is only 25 years old and has some room to grow.  

Just now, Kashunowaka said:

W10e fought valiantly against Mitakeumi, who looked tentative. In the end Mita saved his sekiwake rank - good!

And if he wins tomorrow he ends on a respectable 9-6 and arguably keeps his Ozeki run alive, though he'd need to have an incredible basho in November (i.e. 13-2 minimum).

Bloody hell! What has Shodai been eating? He made Asanoyama look like an amateur.

Was that Shodai?  Really?  An alien has taken over his body.  

• Like 1

Shodai borrowed Hakuho's mojo for this basho.

Only Flying Monkey can prevent Shodai (and Kumamoto) from getting his first Top Div yusho!!!!!

3 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Ok, now, I want Tobizaru to dispatch Takakeisho.

I'm not sure I want to see Shodai lose out on a yusho to another Maegashira this year. :(

Good job in losing, Tobizaru.  (Applauding...)  You won my heart.

Edited by robnplunder

It was a good effort, but you could tell Tobizaru was nervous and not quite sure how to fight that bout. Takakeisho was patient.

Senshuraku promises plenty of drama yet!

So it's definitely gonna be Shodai v Tobizaru and Asanoyama v Takakeisho tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Good job in losing, Tobizaru.  (Applauding...)  You won my heart.

Definitely.  Tobizaru gave it his all, managing to stay on his feet when Takakeisho first attempted a slap down.  But what was truly priceless was the big smile on Tobizaru's face after he got back up on his feet.  He knew that he had had his moment of glory, and had nothing at all to be ashamed about!  I say, two special prizes for the Shinnyumaku boy.

Hell, he not only won robnplunder's heart (not to mention mine and probably a significant number of fellow Forum members), but he won all of Japan's hearts.  Apparently, he was front page news yesterday, with people hoping to see the first Top Division rookie championship in 106 years.  And that was not even a full 15-day tournament!  

Ryogoku's record will probably stay in tact. ;-)  But Tobizaru's achievement won't be forgotten any time soon!!!

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Ryogoku's record stays in tact.

Tobizaru isn't out of it yet! He can still force a playoff with a win tomorrow and a Shodai loss, and if he's the one to face Shodai then fate is in his own hands.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gospodin said:

What else could he have called ? The mono-i decision was also a difficult one, because a possible footprint of Tochinoshin was (once again) obliterated by the falling rikishi. I can´t imagine this one hurts his competency.

The mono-ii comment was directed at Shikimori Inosuke, whose judging I felt was not particularly confident. I think it was a different gyoji (Konosuke) who got judged the Tochinoshin match. Sorry if I didn't make it clear or am mistaken. Now on with the matches... 

While it is nice to see the prime henka-er (before Ishiura) being henka'ed, Enho had to rely more on these less savoury tactics and I can't imagine that sitting well in him. My henka tolerance is higher for rikishi with big physical handicaps, but I did appreciate Enho's more restrictive view on the tactic. With limited degeiko now open and Hakuho on the mend, I hope he can get back to his old spry self, doing sumo he appreciates. 

I was very worried for Kiribayama and thought he was gambling shoulder injury, perhaps a permanent one to maintain a position in a joi. The gamble succeeded for him, but I wonder how long this could last. I think he just gets injured way too much to ever make it beyond sekiwake, but perhaps I am being too pessimistic... 

Poor Asanoyama got himself knocked out of the yusho race. My prophecy of him failing to reach yokozuna by November is coming true... (Laughing...) Even though Shodai is my yusho pick, I couldn't help but want some monkey business. Shodai might walk away with a very respectable 13-2 yusho after all. I would make him an Ozeki despite his 32 wins, but I'm not sure what the banzuke committee seems to think. With that, the komusubi bottom seems to be dropping out and I fully welcome Komusubi Takanosho and Terunofuji. 

35 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Tobizaru isn't out of it yet! He can still force a playoff with a win tomorrow and a Shodai loss, and if he's the one to face Shodai then fate is in his own hands.

Actually, Wakanohana has predicted a Shodai-Tobizaru matchup for tomorrow.  But I think you can safely pop open a bottle of champagne for your earlier prediction (just saying).  

Spoiler

Tobizaru might surprise Shodai in their first ever meeting, but I can't see Shodai losing to Tobizaru twice (i.e., if a playoff is required), especially seeing the way he has been fighting this tournament.

Edited by Amamaniac

Well now. I'll be purchasing coffee tomorrow because there is no way in Hell I'm gonna let myself fall asleep before the end!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dwale said:

Well now. I'll be purchasing coffee tomorrow because there is no way in Hell I'm gonna let myself fall asleep before the end!

Red Bull gives you wings!  (Just a suggestion.) ;-)

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1