Kintamayama

September (Aki) Basho- offical thread (yay..)

3 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

We have a Juryo champion!  Chiyonokuni 13-1 shows his Makuuchi form this tournament.

Damn, you're quick. My stream still has them crouching for the tachiai.

Back-to-back yusho for Chiyonokuni now and so far he's dropped only one bout in the last two basho. Win tomorrow and he'll better Terunofuji by one win (7-0, 13-2 vs 7-0, 14-1).

Edited by Eikokurai

3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Damn, you're quick. My stream still has them crouching for the tachiai.

Did he win?  :-P

2 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

We have a Juryo champion!  Chiyonokuni 13-1 shows his Makuuchi form this tournament.

That should put him back in Makuuchi right? That's two yusho in a row for him.

2 minutes ago, Shinobi Steve said:

Probably not. Top of Juryo next time around. He's J11 now. 14-1 could get a J11 into Makuuchi with luck, but J1 is more likely. Shimanoumi went to J1 after his 13-2 yusho at the same rank last year.

Edited by Eikokurai

Just now, Shinobi Steve said:

Maybe not.  He should go 14-1 and hope he gets help from others. 

9 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Awesome, surely that‘s good enough for a promotion to Makuuchi even if he‘s J11.

Probably not but let me hope :-D:-P

Edited by Hakuryuho

2 minutes ago, Hakuryuho said:

Awesome, surely that‘s good enough for a promotion to Makuuchi even if he‘s J11.

14-1 might, 13-2 probably will get him to J1.

4 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Probably not. Top of Juryo next time around. He's J11 now.

Hopefully he gets it done next basho. Makuuchi is a better place with Chiyonokuni in it. Hopefully Ura too not far behind. 

Just now, Hakuryuho said:

Not a sure thing.  Terunofuji's 13-2 yusho as J13 only got him to J3 for the following basho.   It is going to depend on how many Makuuchi slots open up and what others ahead of Chiynokuni do.   He should win his 14th tomorrow and hope for the best.

2 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

And poster-boy Akiseyama at 35 does one of the best basho in his career. :-O

A win tomorrow makes it THE best and will put him within a basho of Makuuchi. Imagine him, Kagayaki and Aoiyama all in it together.

8 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Probably not. Top of Juryo next time around. He's J11 now. 14-1 could get a J11 into Makuuchi with luck, but J1 is more likely. Shimanoumi went to J1 after his 13-2 yusho at the same rank last year.

He is promotable by the numbers now and given the lack of decent candidates at the top of the division I would expect him to go up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sakura said:

He is promotable by the numbers now and given the lack of decent candidates at the top of the division I would expect him to go up.

True, the guys at the top haven't made a case for going up, have they? 13-2 could be enough. I'd love to see Chiyonokuni back in the top division. He's one of my favourites.

I don't always get to watch a live stream, so I haven't saw the full dohyo-iri many times. I have to say though, Tobizaru wearing a kesho-mawashi with a monkey on it was an amazing sight to see. 

Probably no bout announcements for day 15 since the Top Division yusho race could go down to the wire...  The gyoji gets a day off?

8 minutes ago, Shinobi Steve said:

Tobizaru wearing a kesho-mawashi with a monkey on it was an amazing sight to see. 

What's more, he was passing by former Tosayutaka who wore a gorilla back then.

So the plot thickens.  Shodai will be going up against Asanoyama in the penultimate bout.  If he loses, then Tobizaru will have a chance to take the lead if he can upset Ozeki Takakeisho.  The situation is clear to all concerned.  I can't believe it doesn't get into their heads, even if they are professional wrestlers!

Even my blood pressure is going up, and the Top Division bouts haven't even started yet!

10 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

So the plot thickens.  Shodai will be going up against Asanoyama in the penultimate bout.  If he loses, then Tobizaru will have a chance to take the lead if he can upset Ozeki Takakeisho.  The situation is clear to all concerned.  I can't believe it doesn't get into their heads, even if they are professional wrestlers!

Even my blood pressure is going up, and the Top Division bouts haven't even started yet!

Don’t forget about the second gen tadpole and Wakatakakagekatsudon who is making up for his spoiled shin-nyumaku basho

41 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I predict (?) ...

Asnanoyama to beat Shodai

Takakeisho to beat Tobizaru.  

(4 way at the top with 11-3.  This should give you a heart attack tomorrow if you are not careful.)

Mitakeumi gets KK against Wakawakawaka.

Takanosho to beat Onsho.

Edited by robnplunder

Nice save by Hoshoryu to keep his KK hopes alive going into the last day.

Edited by Eikokurai

Enho vs Terutsuyoshi: There are very few things in sumo more satisfying than seeing a certified and professional henka-er getting henkaed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Onosho drops. Now dependent on both Shodai and Tobizaru losing today to keep his slim yusho hopes alive on senshuraku.

Edited by Eikokurai

Just now, Eikokurai said:

Onosho drops. Now dependent on Shodai and Tobizaru losing today to keep his slim yusho hopes alive going into senshuraku.

I don't think that helps, as at least two 11-2 rikishi should face each other tomorrow.