Kintamayama

September (Aki) Basho- offical thread (yay..)

35 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

The foot inside the ring was OK; it was the foot outside the ring that was problematic.  It looked to me that Daieisho hit the ground at the same time that Shodai's foot crossed the plane of the dohyo -- that is, if there had been an extension of the dohyo, they would have hit ground together.  This is not the first time this has been rendered a torinaoshi, not by far.

I concur. If anything, the gyoji probably went on the fact that Daieisho had hit ground before any part of Shodai hit "ground", but as Yamanashi says, if the dohyo had been a bit bigger, Shodai would have hit down at almost the same time. Isegahama's explanation includes dotai, so the conclusion must have been that Shodai was irrecoverable at the same time as Daieisho was, so a rematch was fair game.

• Thanks 1

The winners stay the same, and just as the match goes, Wakatakakage up, Takayasu down.

Tier 1: Takakeisho, Shodai, Terunofuji, Wakatakakage

Tier 2: Asanoyama, Takayasu, Onosho, Tobizaru

Tier 3: Kiribayama,  Kotoshoho

Mere Fodder: Mitakeumi, Takanosho, Takarafuji, Kagayaki, Aoiyama, Kotoeko, Chiyotairyu, Meisei, Ichinojo

• Like 1

Curiously enough, former Ozeki Takayasu, who we can all agree is looking a little more Ozeki-like in this tournament, met co-leader Wakatakakage today and ended up losing.  (cue NOOOOOOOOO).

Not that Takayasu's yusho chances are over, but if he really is going to win a yusho, he is going to have to beat opponents like Wakatakakage.  And he definitely can't let guys like that beat him twice in a row!

4 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

No one has brought up the monoii called in Shodai's bout versus Daieisho.  I have some strong views about that one, but I don't want to create too much controversy here - hence the spoiler.  

I suspect we don't know anything about the internal politics of sumo and we might be a bit startled if we did. (dons tinfoil hat and imagines a conversation...)

"It might not be entirely unvadantageous my pupil, if your performances in the first two contests were such as to provide some opportunities for your esteemed opponents to demonstrate their undoubted skill and spirit even if such an approach might seem to the uninitiated to be somewhat deleterious to your prospects of achieving the desired outcome. Given such an honourable and co-operative approach, it would not be necessarily unwelcome if you chose to utilise your advantages rather more liberally for the remainder of the your endeavours".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I suspect we don't know anything about the internal politics of sumo and we might be a bit startled if we did. (dons tinfoil hat and imagines a conversation...)

"It might not be entirely unvadantageous my pupil, if your performances in the first two contests were such as to provide some opportunities for your esteemed opponents to demonstrate their undoubted skill and spirit even if such an approach might seem to the uninitiated to be somewhat deleterious to your prospects of achieving the desired outcome. Given such an honourable and co-operative approach, it would not be necessarily unwelcome if you chose to utilise your advantages rather more liberally for the remainder of the your endeavours".

It sounds better in the Google Translate version, but you've got the basic story here.

Just heard that more woes plague the rising star, Kiribayama. It seems to be a rotator cuff injury. Lucki Hideki :-D

Or perhaps not. If it does go down to 12-3 or 11-4, with at least 2 fusensho, I don't think Asanoyama is making a great case for yokozuna before November. What do you guys think? I personally think that even if Asanoyama gets the yusho (which is a long shot with still so many first place contenders), it would still not be accepted. Is this widespread scramble for the yusho because there is no "common enemy" in a yokozuna to motivate them forward, or symptomatic of a larger problem of not having enough dominant players?  

It would seem that God never wants Asanoyama on time. :-D He made it to Juryo after his high school trainer died, made it to Ozeki after his university trainer died and may not make Yokozuna before Takasago retires. 

Would love to hear what you guys think. 

P.S. It's my birthday and I realised I usually get sumo on my birthday so truly I am blessed (Holidayfeeling...)

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 1

A Yusho by an Ozeki is a still a yusho. That is, if it was followed up by another yusho then the promotion to yokozuna would be guaranteed. In such a situation it wouldn't matter about the quality of either one.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

There’s nothing comfortable about sitting cross-legged without back support for any length of time, especially for men of a certain age. If I was a shimpan, I’d call mono-ii all the time just to stretch my legs.

It’s my birthday today and my wife got me ... a back support. That’s not a joke for the forum. She literally got me a support I can put on my chair or under my lower back when I sleep. I’m not even old! (Anotheryearolder...)

• Haha 4

...and the most stupid interpretation of the rules struck again: Tsurugisho lost by alleged hair pulling against Kitaharima, whose mage went to shambles right after the tachiai, as it always does.

Conclusion: hire a bad Tokoyama for some freebie wins.

(Bombabouttobeblown...)

• Haha 1

Chiyonokuni just keeps rolling. Enjoying his comeback so much. Huge respect for his work ethic and his sumo fundamentals are so solid

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

...and the most stupid interpretation of the rules struck again: Tsurugisho lost by alleged hair pulling against Kitaharima, whose mage went to shambles right after the tachiai, as it always does.

Conclusion: hire a bad Tokoyama for some freebie wins.

(Bombabouttobeblown...)

All I saw was the slow-motion replay, but that was some terrible hand placement from Tsurugisho. If a rikishi doesn't keep his fingers flat, it's absolutely his fault.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Or perhaps not. If it does go down to 12-3 or 11-4, with at least 2 fusensho, I don't think Asanoyama is making a great case for yokozuna before November. What do you guys think? I personally think that even if Asanoyama gets the yusho (which is a long shot with still so many first place contenders), it would still not be accepted. Is this widespread scramble for the yusho because there is no "common enemy" in a yokozuna to motivate them forward, or symptomatic of a larger problem of not having enough dominant players?  

As I understand,, he needs to string a couple of yusho to be considered.  I don't see him winning this basho.  So, Asanoyama fans may have to wait a while.  

38 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Chiyonokuni just keeps rolling. Enjoying his comeback so much. Huge respect for his work ethic and his sumo fundamentals are so solid

One of my favorites. It would be great to have him back in Makuuchi, but with his reckless-abandon-style of sumo, the question is always: but for how long?

3 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

One of my favorites. It would be great to have him back in Makuuchi, but with his reckless-abandon-style of sumo, the question is always: but for how long?

He has definitely had his share of injuries and has bounced around a bit, division wise, since his first promotion to Makuuchi in 2012. But since mid 2016 he had established himself as a Makuuchi mainstay, until, once again, injury sidelined him. I think he’s more cautious these days but still displays the requisite aggression 

2 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

P.S. It's my birthday and I realised I usually get sumo on my birthday so truly I am blessed (Holidayfeeling...)

(Birthday!)

3 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

P.S. It's my birthday and I realised I usually get sumo on my birthday so truly I am blessed

Not sure about the time difference, but if it’s the 22nd, we share a birthday. Happy birthday!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Not sure about the time difference, but if it’s the 22nd, we share a birthday. Happy birthday!

It is the 22nd! Happy Birthday! (Zabutonflying...)

I though Terunofuji winning the yusho twice in a row was something too good to be true. Indeed, the onigiri power is just way too strong. I am starting to be a fan of Takanosho! 

• Like 2

So Asanoyama will get another freebie this basho and moves to 7-3, level with Terunofuji.

Shodai secures his Sekiwake status for next basho, maintains his place tied for the lead and is just a couple of wins off what he needs to make next basho makes Ozeki confirmation more straightforward.

Edited by Eikokurai

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

My favorite, too.  He's fun to watch.

Takanosho is looking good for a sanyuku spot in the next basho.   

Mitakeumi is likely to play a spoiler role for yusho contenders.  

• Like 1

My god, that's the highest I've ever seen someone at the tachiai and yet still be able to move forward. How the hell does Shodai do it - with a nice side of shimpan bowling too?

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

My god, that's the highest I've ever seen someone at the tachiai and yet still be able to move forward. How the hell does Shodai do it - with a nice side of shimpan bowling too?

He has been doing that all his career.   Most of us picked it as his main weakness, something that held him back.  But in the last few basho, he has been compensating his weakness with raw strength.  He faces a tough opponent tomorrow in healthy Takayasu.  Still, I am sticking with Shodai yusho.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Seiyashi said:
20 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I'm never sure how they work these things out but given the numbers and stables involved I wave a feeling that Hagiwara is going to have to come through an inter-divisional match against the grizzled vet Hisanatora who has been cleaning house in jonokuchi (exactly what you'd expect from a man who was in makushita just over a year ago).

Only if, amongst the 3 likely 5-0 matchups on day 11, both the Naruto-beya men win. Once one of them loses, it's clear sailing from there. In any case, Jonokuchi is the only division with an odd number of perfect scores at the moment, so likely one of the Jk 5-0s will fight a 4-1.

Hagiwara v Hisanatora scheduled for Wednesday. Called it! Seiyashi, you owe me a groat!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:
20 hours ago, Seiyashi said:
20 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I'm never sure how they work these things out but given the numbers and stables involved I wave a feeling that Hagiwara is going to have to come through an inter-divisional match against the grizzled vet Hisanatora who has been cleaning house in jonokuchi (exactly what you'd expect from a man who was in makushita just over a year ago).

Only if, amongst the 3 likely 5-0 matchups on day 11, both the Naruto-beya men win. Once one of them loses, it's clear sailing from there. In any case, Jonokuchi is the only division with an odd number of perfect scores at the moment, so likely one of the Jk 5-0s will fight a 4-1.

Hagiwara v Hisanatora scheduled for Wednesday. Called it! Seiyashi, you owe me a groat!

Damn, son, that's some psychic shit right there!

On the other hand, I seem to have been cock-eyed with my post, since on second inspection, Makushita has got an odd number of 5-0s, and that's causing knockdown cascades in both the sandanme and jonidan leaderboards (one makushita-sandanme match, one sandanme-jonidan match).

So I owe you a groat, and myself a pair of new glasses B-)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

4 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

It’s my birthday today and my wife got me ... a back support. That’s not a joke for the forum. She literally got me a support I can put on my chair or under my lower back when I sleep. I’m not even old! (Anotheryearolder...)

Happy birthday to Durian-san and UK-san! (Birthday!)

wish you a wonderful life and genki everyday! Cheers!

• Thanks 1