Kintamayama

September (Aki) Basho- offical thread (yay..)

12 hours ago, Sakura said:

That's usually the way they do things. I think in Japanese the counting is different (maybe? I think I heard that once). So for Meisei it was 2 banzuke ago. The only equivalent thin in English I can think of is the phrase in Christianity `after three days he rose again', where the time frame is Friday through Sunday with Friday being Day 1, Saturday Day 2 and Sunday Day 3. Nowadays, we would say two days later, or after two days. 

So does this mean that if this basho is cancelled (touch wood), we will still see Abi in March 2021, or is it three actually held basho/banzuke changes from now? 

15 hours ago, Sakura said:

That's usually the way they do things. I think in Japanese the counting is different (maybe? I think I heard that once). So for Meisei it was 2 banzuke ago. The only equivalent thin in English I can think of is the phrase in Christianity `after three days he rose again', where the time frame is Friday through Sunday with Friday being Day 1, Saturday Day 2 and Sunday Day 3. Nowadays, we would say two days later, or after two days. 

You're absolutely right. I've checked previous issues of the NSK banzuke topics, and they have always counted that way. Seems like I didn't pay attention before...

On 07/09/2020 at 10:17, Sakura said:

The counting is not as difficult as the counters, IMO. I heap thanks on the Japanese people for the existence of the general counter (hitotsu, futatsu, mitsu...).

6 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

What a hilarious word, Nokozuna.  Sums it up in a very Japanese way [although in Japanese would it read "of the Ogre's Daughter"?]

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Nikkan reporting that both yokozuna are kyujo. The judging department are making the matches but Hakuho and Kakuryu were not in the listings.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202009110000260.html

I am going to take this as good news.  It means there may be another unlikely yusho winner in the works.  Shodai, perhaps.   Terunofuji repeat?  Nah.  Mitakeumi's third one?  That'd be sweet.   I can think of a dozen to take the yusho.  This will be a wide-open basho.

• Like 1

Besides Abi being suspended and the two unfortunate cases of the Tamanoi sekitori, Ishiura also appears to be out.

Kiribayama has been saying that he wants to try to get a lift-out win this basho. Well, he has a chance to learn from the master as he's been given Tochinoshin on day 1. Ichinojo v Hoshoryu should also be fun to watch.

• Like 1

Takakeisho will be taking on defending yusho winner Terunofuji on day 1. This will be the first time since Nagoya 2017 that they meet and the second time overall. For Teru, since he's back up at the top, this is normal expectations

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202009110000354.html

Miyagino says that Hakuho's current condition is such that he cannot even do sonkyo (post knee surgery). His entering the November basho at this point may be in question

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202009110000320.html

Kakuryu is out because of the elbow injury from last basho. Stable master Michinoku has had a talk with Kakuryu and it looks like November will be the make or break basho for him, which means there may not be a lot of time left for the yokozuna

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202009110000322.html

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Kakuryu is out because of the elbow injury from last basho. Stable master Michinoku has had a talk with Kakuryu and it looks like November will be the make or break basho for him, which means there may not be a lot of time left for the yokozuna

I would assume that if he doesn't make the next basho then intai will follow?  I wonder if he has sorted out Japanese citizenship yet? 

5 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Besides Abi being suspended and the two unfortunate cases of the Tamanoi sekitori, Ishiura also appears to be out.

What happened to him?

2 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

What happened to him?

From reports in another thread, Ishiura injured his ankle. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I am going to take this as good news.  It means there may be another unlikely yusho winner in the works.  Shodai, perhaps.   Terunofuji repeat?  Nah.  Mitakeumi's third one?  That'd be sweet.   I can think of a dozen to take the yusho.  This will be a wide-open basho.

Who's at M-17? That seems to be the sweet spot this year. It is, after all, that kind of year in general.

17 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Who's at M-17? That seems to be the sweet spot this year. It is, after all, that kind of year in general.

Ichinojo - and quite frankly, next to Tokushoryu and Terunofuji, he's the most likely of them all to win a makujiri yusho. He darn nearly did it as shin-nyumaku, so he's definitely got that kind of performance capable in him.

On 30/07/2020 at 16:44, Akinomaki said:

These new 5 kensho banners from the Metropolitan Government may be shown in full on NHK, at least once: Stop Corona

"Go to shops with stickers (that show it follows the guidelines)", "Wash your hands, use a mask", "No! to the 3mitsu", "Keep distance", "to not get infected, and not infect others"

On the last 3 days they will parade 3 times each

These parades will go on the whole basho this time. The NSK had donated the 5 banners to the Metropolitan Government and had 5 new ones made, apparently with the same messages.

Mono-ii conferences on the dohyo will again be in social distance.

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20200911/sum20091120550010-n1.html

Day 15 is the only day sold out by now sumo.pia.jp/vacant/va09.jsp, chair seats are still on resale though.

A 6min. report from NHK Hokkaido about Kyokutaisei's way back to makuuchi - with first son Seishin, born last December

7000024708_20200911183311_s.jpgvid

Dohyo making is complete

3m_3OETXSpFJ_c4n.jpg:thumbvid LfCsa9E-Ef3NYHix.jpg:thumbvid Cg9LdUdyrh68P9ft.jpg:thumbvid EhmsGwKX0AAuLZ_.jpg:thumbo

The dohyo matsuri tomorrow will follow the same procedure as last basho, no rikishi, no public. It will be streamed live by the NSK:

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 3

I was wrong - as code_number3 pointed out, the yusho portrait presentation was a very delayed one for Tokushoryu and Hakuho, who is kyujo, thus Miyagino-oyakata was there o

EhsvrA4UwAAltYh.jpg:large

202009120000216-w200_0.jpgo sum20091219250009-m2.jpgo20200912-OHT1I50231-N.jpgo sum20091219250009-m1.jpgoEhr5Ct_VgAE1ksd.jpg:thumbo

shown live after the dohyo matsuri: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlbTJkihGdA&t=24m40s

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The dohyo matsuri was live streamed... first time watching the whole thing, like going to mass, really cool,  also seeing the yusho portraits presentation.

Dohyo matsuri day - about 700 watched live on YT, the video had 7000 views so far

A sign at the kokugikan grounds "Watching sumo safe and feeling safe"

Ehs50_PU0AIPv57.jpg:thumbo

the top

sum20091212360004-m2.jpgo

Inosuke

EhsvcjwU8AACE35.jpg:thumbo

sty2009120013-g2.jpgo

origin_1.jpgo202009120000207-w200_0.jpgo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

Just saw twitter that Kimura Konosuke is kyujo. Confirmed?

Confirmed and causing plenty of reactions in the kyujo thread

7 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Sanyaku gyoji Kimura Konosuke is kyujo from this basho due to poor health.

As mentioned elsewhere tate gyoji Shikimori Inosuke is back on duty, having missed the July basho with poor health too.