Kintamayama

September (Aki) Basho- offical thread (yay..)

3 hours ago, Dwale said:

Not an Onosho fan, but that was bad ass!

Yes, a rather violent manhandling. Impressive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

He appeared to have twisted his right ankle against his bout with Takakeisho yesterday, during an attempt to resist at the tawara. His right leg just sort of buckled in and down when pushed by Takakeisho and braced against the tawara, and he got pushed out in short order and was seen limping back down the hanamichi afterwards.

He also landed one one leg with his knee locked when he stepped off the dohyo, which can do bad things to a rikishi’s joint. Don’t recall which leg it was. Edit: it was the right. Same one that buckled.

Edited by since_94

3 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

So I guess what I was trying to say was: can Ishiura "do a" Tochinishiki?

(apples oranges, I know)

Well, past performance is no indicator of future success. But he might have just enough in the tank to do it, if his performance against Shimanoumi today was any indication. He also gets Shohozan tomorrow, and it's not too far-fetched for him to get Kotoshogiku, so the torikumi might just be kind enough to him too.

44 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

More than half the whole division (22 men) are on 6-2, 5-3 or 4-4. That's a way larger margin than usual, because by this point usually you had a zensho yokozuna narrowing the field down.

Could you or someone please list the rikishi who are tied for first, second and third place?  NHK TV listed the 9 in first place but I couldn't read the kanji quickly enough, and the announcers rattled off the names quicker than my sleepy brain could absorb them.  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

Could you or someone please list the rikishi who are tied for first, second and third place?  NHK TV listed the 9 in first place but I couldn't read the kanji quickly enough, and the announcers rattled off the names quicker than my sleepy brain could absorb them.  Thanks!

Check out the Sekitori Leaderboard thread. It's all there thanks to @Naganoyama

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Morty said:

Check out the Sekitori Leaderboard thread. It's all there thanks to @Naganoyama

Link here:

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Thanks 1

7 bouts in and Onosho is starting to piss me off. I have yet to see him put both hands on the ground and he almost always crosses the starting line. When do "they" jump on his back about his tachiai like they did with Kotoyuki years ago and Enho last year? Sorely needed, at least to my taste

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Well, past performance is no indicator of future success. But he might have just enough in the tank to do it, if his performance against Shimanoumi today was any indication. He also gets Shohozan tomorrow, and it's not too far-fetched for him to get Kotoshogiku, so the torikumi might just be kind enough to him too.

I suspect today may be the last we see of Kotoshogiku this tournament ... and perhaps ever again in the ring (?)

On 19/09/2020 at 11:11, Jakusotsu said:

As mentioned before, I don't think Terunofuji will lose any more matches. He's like a lycanthrope at full moon.

I haven´t heard this term in a veeeery long time. Seems like there are RPG fans around :-).

As for Terunofuji - he seems to have an answer for everything that is thrown at him, until he is in a position to overpower his opponent, really nice to watch.

4 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

It looked as though Kotoshogiku was feeling the injury and didn't want to take any chances, hence the rather tame retreat. Hoshoryu probably didn't want to hurt the old boy.

4 hours ago, yohcun said:

Maybe Hoshoryu hasn't completely forgotten how Ura's career nearly came to an end during their bout.

Thoughts to Aminishiki whose career ended by then shin-juryo Ryuko

34 minutes ago, maorencze said:

7 bouts in and Onosho is starting to piss me off. I have yet to see him put both hands on the ground and he almost always crosses the starting line. When do "they" jump on his back about his tachiai like they did with Kotoyuki years ago and Enho last year? Sorely needed, at least to my taste

I was watching the Showa era bout replays on NHK, and a thought occurred to me.  In those days, wrestlers simply stood behind the shikiri lines and charged.  I may be wrong, but my guess is that there were few if any mattas back then.  

The current system of both fists down has at least three key problems: (1) there is the potential for many mattas which slow the progression of bouts, (2) some wrestlers use the matta as a tool of psychological warfare, and (3) mattas are difficult to enforce on a consistent basis.

If the both-hands-down tachiai position is indeed the ideal, then why not have wrestlers on both sides place both fists down on or behind the shikirisen, and then the gyoji simply drops his gumbai fan to signal both men to start.  Et voila, no more mattas, and no more disgruntled fans.

I'm sure there are arguments against doing things that way, but somehow I feel that it would solve many problems.  And there are certain wrestlers (Yoshikaze was a good example) who put both fists down and wait as a matter of habit, thereby avoiding any chance of being accused of not having both fists down at the initial charge.  Having the gyoji's gumbai control the start conforms with other sports that rely on a signal, rather that the concept of "mutual consent".

#copyright

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I was watching the Showa era bout replays on NHK, and a thought occurred to me.  In those days, wrestlers simply stood behind the shikiri lines and charged.  I may be wrong, but my guess is that there were few if any mattas back then.  

The current system of both fists down has at least three key problems: (1) there is the potential for many mattas which slow the progression of bouts, (2) some wrestlers use the matta as a tool of psychological warfare, and (3) mattas are difficult to enforce on a consistent basis.

If the both-hands-down tachiai position is indeed the ideal, then why not have wrestlers on both sides place both fists down on or behind the shikirisen, and then the gyoji simply drops his gumbai fan to signal both men to start.  Et voila, no more mattas, and no more disgruntled fans.

I'm sure there are arguments against doing things that way, but somehow I feel that it would solve many problems.  And there are certain wrestlers (Yoshikaze was a good example) who put both fists down and wait as a matter of habit, thereby avoiding any chance of being accused of not having both fists down at the initial charge.  Having the gyoji's gumbai control the start conforms with other sports that rely on a signal, rather that the concept of "mutual consent".

#copyright

I think starting by gyoji's call is standard in amasumo, in Ozumo it's deliberately different. But it makes sense, much more than this mess.

22 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/05/19/sumo/sumo-101-tachiai/

Going by John Gunning's article last year, the tachi-ai was all along supposed to be with fists on the lines, and the 1970s style standing charge was apparently a loosening of that requirement. Why that loosening happened and how it got tightened back up again is a mystery to me, although Wakanohana (I) Kanji's Wikipedia page (rijicho 1988-1992) alludes to him instituting a policy of fining wrestlers who engaged in matta.

Edited by Seiyashi

9 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Going by John Gunning's article last year, the tachi-ai was all along supposed to be with fists on the lines, and the 1970s style standing charge was apparently a loosening of that requirement. Why that loosening happened and how it got tightened back up again is a mystery, although Wakanohana (I) Kanji's Wikipedia page (rijicho 1988-1992) alludes to him instituting a policy of fining wrestlers who engaged in matta.

I've heard of that policy, but I am not sure how it can be enforced fairly.  Problems:

(1) lower division wrestlers don't get a salary to speak of, and can hardly afford fines.

(2) as pointed out by @maorencze, gyoji are sometimes strict and sometimes not.

(3) wrestlers can be psyched into doing a matta, and so who is really to blame? 

Anyone know if fines are still in use?

Edited by Amamaniac

1 hour ago, sumojoann said:

... the Yusho Arasoi is also available on the SumoReference 's Banzuke page. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dada78641 said:

What a henka by Tochi. It's a shame we didn't get a real match between them, but I guess I can't blame him. He correctly gambled that it would work. Takakeisho should've been able to deal with it.

Tochi now admitting in the interview that he thinks it's a little poor to use a technique like that, but oh well.

I have less problem with that than Tochinoshin does.  If Takakeisho wants to come in at knee height, he's just begging for a little tachiai correction lecture.

• Like 2

Just now, hakutorizakura said:

I guess Mitakeumi is happy being just a sekiwake. Let's aim to renew that consecutive S record, why not...

And he of course has the gall to mention Ozeki again in one of his interviews.

This basho will again have no yusho parade and no yusho rikishi interview at the dohyo o

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I have less problem with that than Tochinoshin does.  If Takakeisho wants to come in at knee height, he's just begging for a little tachiai correction lecture.

Plus, I think our man Levan did a quick count of sponsor banners and decided to make sure he got himself paid today. That was a fat stack. I counted 21 envelopes or so? What’s more, he really needs a KK after a rocky start to this tournament. Some commentators emphatically called it a henka, others are saying it was a hit-and-shift. There’s obviously some room for debate there.

Edited by since_94
  • Like 2

Not only did all west rikishi in the 2nd half of makuuchi lose today, they also all refused to give interviews.

20200920-OHT1I50286-N.jpgo

The guidelines demand that rikishi don't meet with reporters. When they leave the shitaku-beya, they should stop and answer questions at a PC installed there for this purpose.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Not only did all west rikishi in the 2nd half of makuuchi lose today, they also all refused to give interviews.

20200920-OHT1I50286-N.jpgo

The guidelines demand that rikishi don't meet with reporters. When they leave the shitaku-beya, they should stop and answer questions at a PC installed there for this purpose.

Maybe the microphone wasn't working.(Detective...)

There are some 6-2 knockout matches tomorrow (day 9), and some 6-2 vs 5-3 matches, so somebody will fall back.  With that in mind , if all possible 6-2s win and all possible 5-3s win we've got a 6-way tie for first at 7-2 and 7-way tie for second at 6-3.