Sign in to follow this  
WAKATAKE

Top 10 Sumo Records July 2020

Recommended Posts

Sorry if this looks more as a trivia question than belonging on this tread, but is there a record for the rikishi that has had more ranks in makuushi? i.e. a rikishi that has been M1E, M1W, M2E, M2W, etc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Asapedroryu said:

Sorry if this looks more as a trivia question than belonging on this tread, but is there a record for the rikishi that has had more ranks in makuushi? i.e. a rikishi that has been M1E, M1W, M2E, M2W, etc

And, of course, one who has had the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Asapedroryu said:

Sorry if this looks more as a trivia question than belonging on this tread, but is there a record for the rikishi that has had more ranks in makuushi? i.e. a rikishi that has been M1E, M1W, M2E, M2W, etc

Without checking, my guess would be Takamiyama.  From the examples, it looks like the intention may be maegashira vice makuuchi.

Edit:  After a quick check, he was missing out on a lot of the lower maegashira ranks,  He lived in an era when there were only 36 makuuchi slots.  There were seldom basho with ranks below M13.

Edited by Asojima

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Asojima said:

Without checking, my guess would be Takamiyama.  From the examples, it looks like the intention may be maegashira vice makuuchi.

Amazing!  He held every Maegashira rank, East and West, from Sekiwake down to M8; below that, M9E, M10W, M11E and W.  He was never ranked below M11 in Maegashira.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of 36 possible ranks from S1E to M16W, Takamiyama had 24.

Terao had 31, only missing M10E, M4E, M15 E and W, and M16W.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ryafuji said:

It took Tamawashi 77 career tournaments, not 101. He has only 98 career tournaments as of today. 

Fixed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Batch 17 (Returns *Will be combined with Batch 13)

Most Promotions to Juryo (All Time)

1. 9 - Kizenryu (5/2013, 7/2014, 3/2015, 9/2015, 9/2016, 1/2017, 9/2017, 1/2018, 7/2018
2. 8 - Sumanofuji (5/2001, 1/2002, 5/2003, 1/2004, 1/2005, 5/2005, 1/2006, 9/2006)
3. 7 - Otokojima (5/1905, 6/1911, 1/1913, 5/1914, 5/1915, 5/1917, 1/1921)
3. 7 - Kitazakura (7/1998, 3/1999, 7/1999, 7/2000, 1/2001, 7/2003, 7/2009)
3. 7 - Tamaasuka (11/2004, 11/2006, 7/2008, 11/2008, 5/2009, 5/2011, 5/2016)
3. 7 - Kitaharima (1/2012, 5/2013, 9/2013, 3/2014, 9/2014, 3/2017, 9/2017)
7. 6 - Tamakiyama (9/1971, 5/1972, 5/1973, 11/1973, 1/1982, 1/1983)
7. 6 - Yoshinotani (5/1972, 9/1972, 1/1976, 7/1976, 3/1978, 11/1978)
7. 6 - Dairyu (3/1988, 11/1989, 5/1994, 5/1995, 11/1996, 7/1997)
7. 6 - Senshuyama (5/2000, 9/2000, 3/2001, 7/2001, 3/2002, 1/2005)
7. 6 - Asofuji (9/2003, 9/2004, 1/2005, 5/2008, 9/2008, 1/2009)
7. 6 - Sagatsukasa (11/2007, 3/2008, 5/2009, 9/2009, 5/2011, 3/2014)

 

Slowest Return to Sanyaku (6BPY era)

1. 47 - Aobajo (9/1975~7/1983)
2. 38 - Takekaze (3/2008~9/2014) *1
3. 35 - Tokitenku (7/2007~7/2013) *1
4. 31 - Daijuyama (3/1983~5/1988)
5. 29 - Miyabiyama (1/2007~1/2012) *1
6. 27 - Dejima (7/2003~1/2008)
7. 26 - Shohozan (3/2014~7/2018)
7. 26 - Aoiyama (1/2015~5/2019)
9. 25 - Ryuko (11/1970~1/1975)
10. 23 - Wakanami (7/1964~5/1969)

*1 - Haru 2011 basho was cancelled and not counted towards the total

 

Slowest Return to Makuuchi (All Time)

1. 38 - Satoyama (7/2007~1/2016)
2. 30 - Azumaryu (9/2014~9/2019)
3. 29 - Wakanoyama (9/1994~7/1999)
4. 25 - Daihi (9/1977~11/1981)
4. 25 - Daizen (3/1995~5/1999)
6. 24 - Hochiyama (7/2007~9/2011) *1
7. 23 - Kinoarashi (5/1983~3/1987)
7. 23 - Tamaasuka (11/2005~9/2009)
9. 22 - Yotsukasa (9/1999~5/2003)
10. 21 - Wakasugiyama (7/1961~1/1965)
10. 21 - Gojoro (3/1999~9/2002)

*1 - Haru 2011 basho was cancelled and not counted towards the total

 

Slowest Return to Juryo (All Time)

1. 39 - Hamanishiki (11/2004~7/2011) *1
2. 33 - Dewanoshu (11/1982~5/1988)
3. 32 - Makimoto (7/1965~11/1970)
4. 30 - Sakigake (1/2015~1/2020)
5. 28 - Kotokanyu (3/1996~11/2000)
5. 28 - Wakatenro (1/2004~9/2008)
7. 27 - Sentoryu (1/1995~7/1999)
8. 26 - Seionada (7/1983~11/1987)
8. 26 - Hoshitango (5/1994~9/1998)
10. 25 - Notonoyama (5/1950~3/1957)
10. 25 - Kotonosato (11/1973~1/1978)
10. 25 - Chikubayama (11/1978~1/1983)
10. 25 - Gokenzan (9/1998~11/2002)

*1 - Haru 2011 basho was cancelled and not counted towards the total

Edited by WAKATAKE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Slowest Return to Makuuchi (All Time)

1. 38 - Satoyama (7/2007~1/2016)
2. 30 - Azumaryu (9/2016~9/2019)

Should be 2014.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Should be 2014.

Fixed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Batch 8: Sekiwake Speedruns

Fastest Progress to Sekiwake from Makuuchi Debut (6BPY era)

1. 1 - Ichinojo (9/2014~11/2014)
2. 2 - Kiyokuni (11/1963~3/1964)
2. 2 - Konishiki (7/1984~11/1984)
4. 3 - Kitanoji (1/1964~7/1964)
4. 3 - Fujinowaka (11/1966~5/1967)
4. 3 - Hoshi (9/1983~3/1984) *1
4. 3 - Musoyama (9/1993~3/1994)
9. 4 - Taiho (1/1960~9/1960)
9. 4 - Maedagawa (11/1960~7/1961)
9. 4 - Sadanoyama (1/1961~9/1961)
9. 4 - Kitao (9/1984~5/1985) *2
9. 4 - Tochinowaka (1/1987~9/1987)
9. 4 - Akebono (9/1990~5/1991)
9. 4 - Dejima (3/1997~11/1997)
9. 4 - Hayateumi (3/2000~11/2000)
9. 4 - Kotomitsuki (5/2000~1/2001)

*1 - Hokutoumi
*2 - Futahaguro

This list has now been updated, all data was pulled from the query function in Sumo DB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

And, of course, one who has had the least.

This probably would consist of guys who just leapfrogged the maegashira ranks on their way to the top (e.g. Asashoryu, Musashimaru, Futahaguro, Taiho, spent 3 bashos as M), and guys who got promoted to makuuchi once and then fell down again (need names here).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hakutorizakura said:

This probably would consist of guys who just leapfrogged the maegashira ranks on their way to the top (e.g. Asashoryu, Musashimaru, Futahaguro, Taiho, spent 3 bashos as M), and guys who got promoted to makuuchi once and then fell down again (need names here).

You're right.  We'd want to make that distinction; we were just discussing a fellow who made it to M16 or something, got injured before the basho, and never made it back.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about phrasing it as "continuous makuuchi streak with the most ranks?" That would eliminate the one-tournamenters and most, if not all, of the other end of the spectrum. They could be counted in a separate list, "continuous makuuchi streak with the fewest ranks." That could measure longest careers with the most/fewest ranks respectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Churaumi said:

What about phrasing it as "continuous makuuchi streak with the most ranks?" That would eliminate the one-tournamenters and most, if not all, of the other end of the spectrum. They could be counted in a separate list, "continuous makuuchi streak with the fewest ranks." That could measure longest careers with the most/fewest ranks respectively.

It seems to me that the list of top-end sekitori with fewest makuuchi ranks is probably the same as the speed-run list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably. Maybe exclude rikishi who ended at yokozuna or ozeki? Or never made those ranks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Out of 36 possible ranks from S1E to M16W, Takamiyama had 24.

Terao had 31, only missing M10E, M4E, M15 E and W, and M16W.

Takekaze only missed S1e, M2w, M15w, and M16 e and w. Kyokutenho missed S1e, M9w, M10e, M13w, M15e, and both M16 ranks. Aminishiki and Kotonowaka are the other good candidates with 80+ maegashira basho.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Batch 18 Losses

Most Career Losses (All Time)

1. 944 - Kyokutenho
2. 937 - Terao
3. 929 - Oshio

Edited by WAKATAKE
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Reonito said:

Takekaze only missed S1e, M2w, M15w, and M16 e and w. Kyokutenho missed S1e, M9w, M10e, M13w, M15e, and both M16 ranks. Aminishiki and Kotonowaka are the other good candidates with 80+ maegashira basho.

Aminishiki is the closest i can get to a "bingo" with only 4 ranks missing. Others in the top 10 basho appearences have more missing. Maybe someone with less basho is more accurate and has a full bingo.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Asapedroryu said:

Aminishiki is the closest i can get to a "bingo" with only 4 ranks missing. Others in the top 10 basho appearences have more missing. Maybe someone with less basho is more accurate and has a full bingo.

 ... and Aminishiki has an M17w, too! [I only counted ranks down to M16]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tochiozan (4): every East slot from S to M16; missing only M9, M12, M14, M15 on the West

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Tochiozan (4): every East slot from S to M16; missing only M9, M12, M14, M15 on the West

And he had "only" 52 basho as maegashira, so that leaves quite a few other candidates to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reonito said:

And he had "only" 52 basho as maegashira, so that leaves quite a few other candidates to check.

Right, so the next step in this process is the "diversity per basho quotient" and then on to gibbering insanity or something.  Will get right on it.(Liftingweights...)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please gambarize! -- like they usually say :-D

At the other end, rikishi who have 1 appearance as maegashira, there seems to be quite a few. Akiseyama is one of the more familiar faces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/08/2020 at 16:19, hakutorizakura said:

Please gambarize! -- like they usually say :-D

At the other end, rikishi who have 1 appearance as maegashira, there seems to be quite a few. Akiseyama is one of the more familiar faces.

Exhaustive research has revealed there is a much greater number who had zero appearances.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/08/2020 at 15:56, Reonito said:

And he had "only" 52 basho as maegashira, so that leaves quite a few other candidates to check.

Dejima (9), 75 basho, but he was also Ozeki.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this