Sign in to follow this  
Gurowake

Kizenryu Intai

He seemed especially relieved after his win today, despite the make-koshi. Now I know why.

I'm gonna miss that 2 meter sentinel of the makushita joi. Always kinda liked him.

Farewell, uwatenage master.  (Sadgoodbyes...)

Actually I heard back in February that his injuries were getting too much and he intended to retire after the Natsu basho, which of course didn't take place. I had hoped the enforced break might have helped him to heal and continue a while longer, but looking at him this basho I think he's shed some weight, so his mind must have been made up. And at 35, that's fair enough. He holds the record for most promotions to Juryo with 9, but unfortunately he never managed a kachi-koshi there.

In the future he plans to return to his home prefecture Kagawa and get involved with coaching sumo to kids.

Naturally, he signed off with an uwatenage win, the 143rd of his career which is almost half of all his wins.

ONcfSbdn_o.jpg

Eq3h7em0_o.jpg

A deep farewell bow to the dohyo.

LCvNSOzY_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

With Kiz I always feel obliged to mention the post a forum member in Japan made many years ago. Having done keiko with him in his university days at Nichidai, they mentioned that they were surprised to see him turn pro, because he was such a nice guy, and based on their keiko together he just seemed too gentle for ozumo.

I always cheered for him after that, and was particularly disappointed when after a 6-2 start and seemingly headed for his first juryo KK,  an injury got the better of him and forced him out of that basho. But almost 10 tournaments as a sekitori is still a good accomplishment, one that most rikishi will never reach, and I'm sure the kids of Kagawa will uwatenage-ing better than ever in no time (Clappingwildly...)

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Kizenryu plans to have his danpatsu-shiki tomorrow at Kise-beya and return to Kagawa on the 20th. He started to think about intai since Natsu last year. The left knee injured Aki 2017 kept popping out during basho, the worsening condition of his knee became the deciding factor to retire. There was the cancelled Natsu basho and it was difficult for him to stay motivated. "Some have retired in May. It was really good to be able to do my last sumo in front of spectators. I think in the end I was able to do my sumo."

Haru 2018 d3, after a bout with Ichiyamamoto

202008140000428-w200_1.jpgo

edit: from the pics that basho

201803140000190-w200_0.jpgo201803140000190-w200_1.jpgo
Haru 2019 d12

202008140000428-w200_0.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Haru 2018 d3, after a bout with Ichiyamamoto

202008140000428-w200_1.jpgo

Found the bout. Nasty fall. The photo was taken during the monoii after the bout. The shimpan couldn't decide whose head had hit first, so they called for a torinaoshi and Kizenryu won that.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 02/08/2020 at 09:16, Yubinhaad said:

Farewell, uwatenage master.  (Sadgoodbyes...)

10 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

"[....] It was really good to be able to do my last sumo in front of spectators. I think in the end I was able to do my sumo."

Naturally, he signed off with an uwatenage win, the 143rd of his career which is almost half of all his wins.

Indeed, he definitely ended things with his own brand of sumo.  I find his win percentage with uwatenage patently ludicrous, but it also likely explains why he failed to make it as a sekitori; it wasn't hard to figure out what his game plan was.  His win percentage with the similar kotenage was also far higher than normal, 

Edited by Gurowake

Interesting fellow.  9 shots at Juryo, all one-and -down*.  Average rank J13w there.  The uwatenage ratio is insane!  Maybe almost as weird is he rarely got bitten by it; and only two losses by hatakikomi, the last in 2011.

*What's the record for this?

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

Indeed, he definitely ended things with his own brand of sumo.

Forward moving? did he even gambarize!?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Interesting fellow.  9 shots at Juryo, all one-and -down*.  Average rank J13w there.  The uwatenage ratio is insane!  Maybe almost as weird is he rarely got bitten by it; and only two losses by hatakikomi, the last in 2011.

*What's the record for this?

He holds the record for promotions to Juryo. By corollary he must also hold the record of one-and-downs.

Edited by Sakura
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sakura said:

He holds the record for promotions to Juryo. By corollary he must also hold the record of one-and-downs.

I should have been able to figure that one out!

That list has some ripped from the headline names (Akiseyama, Kitaharima, Kitazakura) and a couple of Oyakata (Dairyu, Kitazakura again).  But these guys had many basho as sekitori.  Kizenryu is the Sisyphus of Sumo!

On 15/08/2020 at 14:49, Akinomaki said:

Kizenryu plans to have his danpatsu-shiki tomorrow at Kise-beya and return to Kagawa on the 20th.

Due to Corona, no externals were allowed at the danpatsu-shiki, only the about 40 heya members took part. Kizenryu: "I wanted a kachikoshi in juryo. But, I'm grateful that I made it this far, getting the support of many people. It was a good sumo life." http://www.shikoku-np.co.jp/sports/local/article.aspx?id=20200818000111

Kise-oyakata with the final cut

img_news.aspx?id=20200818000111&no=1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

On 02/08/2020 at 15:16, Yubinhaad said:

In the future he plans to return to his home prefecture Kagawa and get involved with coaching sumo to kids.

Ex-Kizenryu returned to his parents' house in Zentsuji, Kagawa after the danpatsu-shiki. With his father he was at the Shikoku newspaper company offices on the 11th. As his most memorable bout he gives the one to decide the makushita yusho to ensure his first juryo promotion.

About his plan to coach sumo to primary school (and other) kids in the prefecture: "Not just the technique, I'd like to convey to them the spirit not to give up and other things I learned. I want to increase the number of kids with an affection for sumo."

http://www.shikoku-np.co.jp/sports/local/article.aspx?id=20200912000141

img_news.aspx?id=20200912000141&no=1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4