Amamaniac

Are Abi's days numbered?

I'm torn, it was a very silly, careless thing to do especially considering someone in the sumo world has died from Covid so I understand the ramifications but the thought of not seeing him competing again is very sad. I am hoping that his resignation will not be accepted but I don't think that will be the case.

I just hope that the other rikishi involved wasn't Tomokaze as that would be another kick in the teeth for all of the sumo fans who so wanted to see him come back to full fitness.

20 hours ago, Kamitsuumi said:

The Nikkan Sports article states the rikishi who accompanied Abi was a former sekitori (Irodori). Shikoroyama has submitted an informal resignation (shintai-ukagai) for Irodori; the rijikai will decide whether to recommend intai.

Just re-read your post, I'm glad it wasn't Tomokaze who was also involved.

It is believed that Abi handed in the formal retirement papers after talking it over with the oyakata (Nikkan) - looks like he gets thrown out by him, and not by the NSK. The other rikishi (likely Irodori) in the same way earlier had handed in informal retirement papers via the oyakata.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Akinomaki said:

It is believed that Abi handed in the formal retirement papers after talking it over with the oyakata (Nikkan) - looks like he gets thrown out by him, and not by the NSK. The other rikishi (likely Irodori) in the same way earlier had handed in informal retirement papers via the oyakata.

What's the difference between informal & formal retirement papers?

28 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

I think he would not hand them in unless he had been told he had no other option. The article says they will not be acted upon until the JSA meeting on the 6th, but clearly he had a good idea as to what the likely outcome of that meeting was.

I think ryafuji is spot on: the intai papers are almost certainly going to be accepted. It's an unfortunate outcome for a rikishi whose style both on and off the dohyo was a bit different. 

Posted (edited)

He was stupid and put himself and potentially others at risk, but intai is a shame. It does feel a bit much to me, but I guess as a rikishi you should know that stuff like this can mean the axe.

Edited by Katooshu

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

The informal resignation (shintai-ukagai) is only an offer to retire to pay for your error, like the tate-gyoji does after a sashi-chigae - his is never accepted.  The formal papers are the actual wish to retire - they nearly always are accepted, unless the NSK has the strong wish to talk the person out of it, because they don't want to lose him.

It seems that the informal resignation was a way to put pressure on Abi, because his penalty had to be bigger, being a sekitori.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

Informal says that I am ready to depart if you want me to.  Formal says I have packed my bags, and I  am outta here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Asojima said:

Informal says that I am ready to depart if you want me to.  Formal says I have packed my bags, and I  am outta here.

Thank you for this information.  (I am all out of "likes" for today)!

I really don't think Abi means any harm with his actions and his actions certainly don't have any malicious intent. 

He appears to not be able to think straight and unfortunately it showed quite often. 

Saddened by the news because I think he has his heart in the right place and is certainly a really good rikishi with a lot of potential now being thrown out of the window.

If his resignation is going to be accepted I wish him all the best for his future.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm certainly going to miss him.

Posted (edited)

I wonder if this will lead to an extra spot in makuuchi being available for the Aki banzuke.

Edited by ryafuji

16 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

I wonder if this will lead to an extra spot in makuuchi being available for the Aki banzuke.

It would also mean an extra spot in Juryo too.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

If the intai will be formal in a few (very few..) hours, it will be before the banzuke committee convenes (tomorrow..), so there should be an extra spot. IF the intai papers are presented in time.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Sad news, for sure. Abi was different and he hadn't reached his full potential. I hope this situation can be reversed somehow.

Indeed, a shame. If the kyokai wants to have appeal to a younger audience, I think they need to reconsider some of the social media brow beating. Abi wasn't one of my favorites, but I liked his style. He will be missed.

• Like 1

The new article states that the non-sekitori is in a different stable. This means it can't be Irodori.

Posted (edited)

They are saying the Kyokai will decide if to accept his resignation on Thursday so his resignation will not be accepted today. They are also saying regardless of what the punishment the Kyokai decides upon, Abi will retire. Knowing who his Oyakata is, I'm pretty sure Abi is left with no choice.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

They are saying the Kyokai will decide if to accept his resignation on Thursday so his resignation will not be accepted today. They are also saying regardless of what the punishment the Kyokai decides upon, Abi will retire. Knowing who his Oyakata is, I'm pretty sure Abi is left with no choice.

So, as I understand it the banzuke will be made before his official retirement....

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sakura said:

So, as I understand it the banzuke will be made before his official retirement....

Indeed-will they leave him out, thus opening a Makuuchi spot, will they demote him as if he were still active, or will they leave an empty space? Empty spaces happen sometimes when someone leaves the Kyokai in disgrace..

Edited by Kintamayama

So very sad and what a waste of talent. Abi made that stupid, stupid mistake and it's up to him to carry the consequences, but I still feel sad to lose such a character... :-(

• Like 1

What?? How many warnings has he had before this? Seems harsh and out of the blue -- they could have suspended him for 1 or 2 basho, surely? Compare this to Takayoshitoshi/Takanofuji who got so many chances before intai became inevitable.

3 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

What?? How many warnings has he had before this? Seems harsh and out of the blue -- they could have suspended him for 1 or 2 basho, surely? Compare this to Takayoshitoshi/Takanofuji who got so many chances before intai became inevitable.

Well, there was that social media thing, then admitting to falling asleep (without being asked) during a lecture that was held  because of the social media thing - he kind of was in the line of fire lately..

1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

Well, there was that social media thing, then admitting to falling asleep (without being asked) during a lecture that was held  because of the social media thing - he kind of was in the line of fire lately..

Yes, but those were hardly 'hanging offenses', were they? Intai sounds like there are irreconcilable differences that could never come to right. Whereas I thought Abi was just being immature and irresponsible and could do with some lessons.

Posted (edited)

I get how this can feel like a punishment disproportionate to the crime, but someone in sumo has already died of this disease. Evidence seems to be confirming that those who are overweight/diabetic are more likely to suffer the worst symptoms of the virus. Hakkaku isn't at all wrong when he called this 'unpardonable'. Plus if he wasn't entirely forthcoming with details, come on.

When you review Abi's previous offences, and his career to date, really, the recurring theme is levity. He seems unwilling or unable to take things as seriously as he should, and at this point, he's made himself too high a risk to the safety and reputation of the NSK.

Think about it from the viewpoint of the NSK.

• On one side, yes, we're losing a talented young wrestler who has a definite charisma and ability to connect with the fans.
  • On the other side, we're losing a repeat offender who has repeatedly shown a recklessness towards our rules, and who's cavalier attitude is likely to only further damage the reputation and now the safety of our sport.

It's a no-brainer when you think about it in the above terms. New sumo stars come all the time and will continue to. He has to go.

I'm not familiar with Taganoura oyakata's history but I imagine he'll be on thin ice a while.

Edited by Houmanumi
  • Like 9
  • Sad 2