Sign in to follow this  
kamizake

Hakuho won 13 yusho winners

I dont know if this ever happened before but at 2009 haru tournament hakuho had zensho yusho and 13 of the opponents were yusho winners at some point

and 2 of them had yusho play off does this kind of thing ever happened before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFBHqfF9q8I

day 1 - goedo yusho winner

day 2 - hokutoriku play off

day 3 - kakuryu yusho winner

day 4 - kotoshogiku yusho winner

day 5 - tochiozan play off

day 6 - kyokutenho yusho winner

day 7 - miyabiama yusho winner

day 8 - baruto yusho winner

day 9 - kotomitsuki yusho winner

day 10 - chiyotaikai yusho winner

day 11 - kisenosato yusho winner

day 12 - harumafuji yusho winner

day 13 - kotooshu yusho winner

day 14 - kaio yusho winner

day 15 - asashoryu yusho winner

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Wow. But then, you'd want a top division filled with long-term contenders with an impressive record, rather than a big turnover of rikishi rocketing to the top and plummeting down shortly afterwards. 

That ties into a crazy long-term project I've been working on.  I call it All-Star Basho (title is up for discussion!)

Take any basho; get info on highest career rank for all Makuuchi rikishi.  Use a scale Yokozuna = 20, Ozeki = 19, etc. down to M16 = 1.  Then add up all slots  and take the average ('cause top division has grown from 38-40-42 over the years).  Highest (impossible) score would be 20: all Yokozuna.  Lowest would be ~10 (since anyone has a career high at least at their current rank).  I've compiled scores for most basho since the 90's: each basho has newcomers who later turned out to be great, and once-great stars on the way down. 

The highest score I've found so far is Kotoosho's win in May 2008 with 17.79 (only 5 of 42 with career high less than sanyaku).  Haru and Nagoya 2009 tie for second with 17.48.

I haven't calculated every basho over that period, so there could be surprises.  Also, have not (as yet) started going back before the mid-90's.  Scores for the last few years are artificially low, because some of the current rikishi on the banzuke haven't yet come near to their career highs.

This all may be preliminary, but I thought it would be germane to this discussion.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, kamizake said:

day 7 - miyabiama yusho winner

Miyabiyama never lifted the Emperor’s Cup.

He did make it to a playoff where he lost to Hakuho (the yokozuna’s first championship)

I was ringside and remember it clearly.

• Like 1

Even so, 12 sometime yusho winners and 3 sometime yusho play-off losers beaten by 1 rikishi in a zensho yusho is still a remarkable coincidence, isn't it?

I bet some people could expand that to a whole article in, say, the Japan Times... and I'd be interested to read it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Even so, 12 sometime yusho winners and 3 sometime yusho play-off losers beaten by 1 rikishi in a zensho yusho is still a remarkable coincidence, isn't it?

I bet some people could expand that to a whole article in, say, the Japan Times... and I'd be interested to read it!

And @John Gunning, if you happen to do a shout out to some random guy in Lincolnshire, well that would be OK with me.

4 hours ago, John Gunning said:

Miyabiyama never lifted the Emperor’s Cup.

He did make it to a playoff where he lost to Hakuho (the yokozuna’s first championship)

I was ringside and remember it clearly.

ok that was my bad i thougth he won early in his career but that was dejima