Sign in to follow this  
Yokozuna Hattorizakura

Longest gaps between rematches

When you consider some of the current/recent old guard in makuuchi met each other around 60 times, it seems quite remarkable these two have only met each other twice in all those years!

On 20/07/2020 at 08:35, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

On Day 1, Hanakaze and Tenichi had their second meeting against each other, 24 years after the first. Are there any gaps that are longer than that, or even close?

I also wonder if their combined age of 92 makes that the “oldest” torikumi on record. It must be up there. Who is older than Tenichi that Hanakaze might have faced?

Edited by Eikokurai

On 19/07/2020 at 20:35, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

On Day 1, Hanakaze and Tenichi had their second meeting against each other, 24 years after the first. Are there any gaps that are longer than that, or even close?

That's 143 basho! (not counting the you-know-what basho)  I guess you need to have two super-oldster for that to even have a chance of happening!

A short dive into his record shows a 19-year gap with Fujinokaze.  That's the closest I can find.  Cripes, just scrolling through his list of opponents in the db takes 30 seconds ...

I know the makuuchi record was Wakanohana vs Wakanoyama - an 8 year gap between their first meeting in 1992 and their second in 2000. Don't know if that's still the record. 

• Like 1

On 22/07/2020 at 21:52, ryafuji said:

I know the makuuchi record was Wakanohana vs Wakanoyama - an 8 year gap between their first meeting in 1992 and their second in 2000. Don't know if that's still the record. 

Not sure if this counts, but Akiseyama v Aoiyama happened on day 9 of the tournament, 10 years after their first meeting in July 2011. though they were both in juryo for the first meeting.

25 minutes ago, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

Not sure if this counts, but Akiseyama v Aoiyama happened on day 9 of the tournament, 10 years after their first meeting in July 2011. though they were both in juryo for the first meeting.

I was referring to just makuuchi meetings, so that wouldn't count in my book. Nice stat though! 

Edited by ryafuji