Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Kensho July 2020

Posted (edited)

Just when the kensho tide double downed on Asanoyama, Mitakeumi decided he needed a little more cash!  

On day 10, there were 19 kensho placed on the second-to-last bout featuring the new Ozeki.  That was 10 more than on the bout featuring fellow Ozeki Takakeisho and 7 more than on the final bout with Yokozuna Hakuho.  A win by Asanoyama would have placed him well out in front.

But with Hakuho winning his bout and Asanoyama losing his, Hakuho just jumped to the head of the kensho leaderboard!

You were right after all, Akinomaki! (Applauding...)

Edited by Amamaniac

Posted (edited)

Terunofuji again got 2 from Nagatanien - he did CMs for them and is deemed worthy again. Takayasu lost 3, Tochinoshin and Enho lost 2. Kura-sushi stays with Hakuho. Day 10 full http://www.sumo.or.jp/pdf/honbasho/kansen/torikumi/2007_10.pdf

Day 10

120:    Hakuho
119:    Asanoyama
87:    Takakeisho
48:    Mitakeumi (M)
30:    Shodai
28:    Endo
25:    Hokutofuji
20:    Kiribayama
20:    Okinoumi
18:    Takayasu
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

With Hakuho adding a loss to his tournament record, he and Asanoyama are now back on level ground vis-a-vis kensho earning opportunities. And so it is once again evident that the Japanese Shin Ozeki has the stronger kensho earning power!  Asanoyama now has a 15 kensho lead.  But that could very well change on day 14, when I presume the two men will knock heads...

Posted (edited)

The 4th time that Mitakeumi was in the most popular bout of the day with the Morinaga-sho. Kura-sushi was still with Hakuho, maybe they'll change now. Daieisho didn't even make it into the rankings with his yokozuna last bout pack: looks like it were 13. Terunofuji for his bout with Tochinoshin got the 2 from Nagatanien, Takayasu had 4 with Chiyotairyu, Kotoshogiku the salty one from Terutsuyoshi, Enho his 1 fix from Sogo. http://www.sumo.or.jp/pdf/honbasho/kansen/torikumi/2007_11.pdf

Day 11

135:    Asanoyama
104:    Takakeisho (M)
48:    Mitakeumi
35:    Endo
30:    Shodai
28:    Hokutofuji
23:    Okinoumi
22:    Takayasu
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 15/07/2020 at 12:26, Akinomaki said:

The Morinaga-sho is the kensho chosen by the spectators who so far had to buy a Morinaga chocolate product and write their favorite torikumi on the package - it is only for the Tokyo basho. For the first time in 69 years it will be chosen on the web, as part of the Corona measures at the basho.

The digital Morinaga-sho, also for fans not in the hall: https://www.morinaga.co.jp/morinagashou/

Each day to chose from 8:30h till 14h JST. The result gets published in the evening on Twitter.

Usually in the hall there are between 200 and 500 votes, now on the net there are over 1000 votes per day for the Morinaga-sho (I had expected it to be a category more now).

The Morinaga-sho was canceled at the Hatsu basho 1985 due to the Glico-Morinaga incident  - and the 2011 Natsu skill examination non-basho 技量審査場所 had no kensho at all.

4.jpgo

On 20/07/2020 at 12:54, Akinomaki said:

Day 2 - all planned kensho: http://www.sumo.or.jp/pdf/honbasho/kansen/torikumi/2007_02.pdf - for what happened to those for Kakuryu-Daieisho, we need to listen carefully to the actual announcements or hope to have it reported.

Hakuho had only 2 on day 2 and got 6 redistributed from the 15 on the Kakuryu bout. o

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

That was the biggest pack (20) so far on Hakuho, because 4 from the 13 on Takakeisho-Daieisho were redistributed to his bout (Kura-sushi maybe one), which had the Morinago-sho as well - making Mitakeumi the Morinaga king this basho. Asanoyama got 16 and had on plan 15. Endo 11 instead of 9, the rest maybe got canceled - Shodai just got the 3 with Enho. I don't think there ever were kensho redistributed to a bout that had none on plan - I guess the NSK would refuse. I wonder how the paper looks like, which the gyoji gets to read the revised kensho parade slogans. Terunofuji with the 2 from Nagatanien, Tochinoshin and Kotoshogiku 1 each, Takayasu had 3. http://www.sumo.or.jp/pdf/honbasho/kansen/torikumi/2007_12.pdf

Day 12

151:    Asanoyama
104:    Takakeisho
68:    Mitakeumi (M)
46:    Endo
33:    Shodai
28:    Hokutofuji
25:    Takayasu
24:    Okinoumi
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

These new 5 kensho banners from the Metropolitan Government may be shown in full on NHK, at least once: Stop Corona

202007300000590-w1300_0.jpg

"Go to shops with stickers (that show it follows the guidelines)", "Wash your hands, use a mask", "No! to the 3mitsu", "Keep distance", "to not get infected, and not infect others"

On the last 3 days they will parade 3 times each: after the juryo dohyo-iri, after the yokozuna dohyo-iri and in the break between 1st and 2nd half of makuuchi: Tokyo pays no kensho money, it is a campaign in cooperation with the NSK. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007300000590.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

On the last 3 days they will parade 3 times each: after the juryo dohyo-iri, after the yokozuna dohyo-iri and in the break between 1st and 2nd half of makuuchi: Tokyo pays no kensho money, it is a campaign in cooperation with the NSK.

Thanks for clarifying that.  But it sort of begs the question of whether they should be called "kensho banners".  They look like a duck, and quack like a duck, but they are not ducks.  My best solution would be "kensho-esque campaign banners" (not the best, but hey).

There is the difference vis-a-vis the times when they get paraded, but also the number of times they go around the ring.  Your average run-of-the-mill kensho banner only circles once, but these go around the ring at least two times, if not more (Abema TV kept cutting away).

It is a little odd that this awareness campaign only started today, i.e., day 13.  And while the Tokyo Metropolitan Government has stepped up its battle against the latest wave of COVID, certain prevention measures inside the kkan have relaxed since day 1.  

Edited by Amamaniac

Posted (edited)

It would have been the biggest planed pack for Hakuho with Shodai - 19. Fortunately I already counted Terunofuji's kensho each day -  he had 19 and makes a jump into the ranking  from 11th place, with a pack of 25 that includes 7 redistributed ones and the Morinaga-sho, 17 were planned. Mitakeumi had just 1 extra in his 5, Daieisho with his 2 kensho-less Y/O wins is not in the rankings, he had 4 planned  and 4 paraded. Hokutofuji got 11 with Endo, 1 extra. Enho had his 1 fix on plan, Okinoumi got it and none extra. Tochinoshin with the first bout fix and Kotoshogiku from Ryuden each had 1, Takayasu the standard 3. http://www.sumo.or.jp/pdf/honbasho/kansen/torikumi/2007_13.pdf

Day 13

73:    Mitakeumi
46:    Endo
44:    Terunofuji (M)
39:    Hokutofuji
33:    Shodai
28:    Takayasu
25:    Okinoumi
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Terunofuji-Shodai had only 4 planned plus the Morinaga-sho, Takayasu with Nishikigi had 5 all along. Enho-Daieisho had 6 - with Kura-sushi and 2 Nagatanien. Tochinoshin-Hokutofuji with 2, Kotoshogiku 1. Terutsuyoshi from nowhere to 39 in the first planned last daily bout of the basho for Asanoyama as the top rikishi still in the basho - I'll wait for the number to appear in the news, I'm not in the mood to count that here: http://www.sumo.or.jp/pdf/honbasho/kansen/torikumi/2007_14.pdf - 9 rows, tomorrow has 11. Terunofuji-Mitakeumi has 4 rows.

Day 14

78:    Mitakeumi
56:    Endo
44:    Terunofuji
39:    Hokutofuji
39:    Terutsuyoshi
38:    Shodai (M)
33:    Takayasu
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Terutsuyoshi from nowhere to 39 in the first planned last daily bout of the basho for Asanoyama as the top rikishi still in the basho - I'll wait for the number to appear in the news, I'm not in the mood to count that here

By my count, Terutsuyoshi went from 10 to 39.  That means that the bout (Terutsuyoshi v. Asanoyama) had the most kensho (i.e., 29) of any bout so far this tournament.  

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Thanks 1

Once again the Morinaga-sho on a Mitakeumi bout, Kura-sushi preferred the last bout. 4 on Enho-Yutakayama, 4 on Takayasu-Takanosho, 2 on Kotoshogiku-Hokutofuji - Tochinoshin none http://www.sumo.or.jp/pdf/honbasho/kansen/torikumi/2007_15.pdf

Day 15

185:    Asanoyama
78:    Mitakeumi
67:    Endo
58:    Terunofuji (M)
41:    Hokutofuji
39:    Terutsuyoshi
38:    Shodai
37:    Takayasu
  • Like 1

Perhaps the economic slump caused by Corona has something to do with that? Everywhere businesses are hurting when there is less money going around, although I'm not sure how Japan is coping. Having a tournament with an audience may have been an ill-conceived decision considering the wave of new Covid19 infections today.

The complete kensho ranking, calculated from the Nikkan banzuke cumulative data for those now in makuuchi, and for those now or still in juryo, counted from the NSK daily kensho lists. Something from Nikkan is definitely wrong, because Takayasu here has 4 more than in the rankings from the basho.

Asanoyama   185
Hakuho   120
Takakeisho   104
Mitakeumi   78
Endo   67
Terunofuji   58
Hokutofuji   41
Takayasu   41
Terutsuyoshi   39
Shodai   38
Daieisho   31
Okinoumi   26