Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

4 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Hmm, somehow your post resembles your avatar pic. B-)

Ah yes, something is definitely wrong with my forum editor. It was a struggle to type that one out. 

What a great day of sumo. Best of the basho so far for sure. There was hardly a bad bout among them and a good mix of long tense ones, short but frenetic ones, reversals, and so on. Good entertainment all round.

Dare I say, I saw a young Hakuho in Asanoyama today. Not dominant but also unfazed and able to deftly counter his aite’s moves, patiently figuring out his counter. Smart and mature sumo. Maybe too bold to call it Yokozuna-like given the quality of his opponent but it had shades of that.

Posted (edited)

Takakeisho is looking like he will comfortably hang on to his rank, but he still looks to me like he's struggling compared to Asanoyama. I'm beginning to suspect the former is performing at the limits of his capability, whereas the latter has not yet found his. Lovely, calm, patient sumo from Asanoyama today.

Mitakeumi needs to take a leaf out of Asanoyama's book and stop drinking during the basho. Again, it's only speculation, but I reckon his dips in form come from celebrating too much. He's got everything he needs to be ozeki. Takakeisho is proof that you don't need very much in the way of yotsu skills.

Edited by RabidJohn

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Wakatakakage has now faced opponents from Sadogatake for five straight days, losing his first three, but winning the last two. "Seeing the day 5 torikumi, I was surprised.." he said, surprised.

A very impressive stable. Now a second generation at least as strong as the first, and some successful spinoff heya as well.

2 hours ago, Atenzan said:

Asanoyama v Kiribayama is definitely the bout of the basho so far for me- I actually applauded along with the crowd in the end.

I had the feeling almost like watching a Hakuho-Harumafuji bout. Nice one.

12 minutes ago, hakutorizakura said:

Btw when can we talk about Shodai TNO again? (Laughing...) Looks like his tachiai has improved a bit.

*looks out window, doesn't see pigs flying*

Not yet.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

What a great day of sumo. Best of the basho so far for sure. There was hardly a bad bout among them and a good mix of long tense ones, short but frenetic ones, reversals, and so on. Good entertainment all round.

Dare I say, I saw a young Hakuho in Asanoyama today. Not dominant but also unfazed and able to deftly counter his aite’s moves, patiently figuring out his counter. Smart and mature sumo. Maybe too bold to call it Yokozuna-like given the quality of his opponent but it had shades of that.

He will replace Kakuryu as yokozuna to perform the dohyo-iry with Hakuho in next year's Olympic. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, hakutorizakura said:

Btw when can we talk about Shodai TNO again? (Laughing...) Looks like his tachiai has improved a bit.

That was a good win today. A 270° sukuinage.

The day 5 video recap features videos with the live commentary by the legendary Murray Johnson with captioned comments by the incomparable Kintamayama. And the sumo is pretty good too.

523B15v.jpg

"Johnny's in the basement, mixing up the medicine..."

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Some jibbering from day 5:

Wakatakakage, beating Kotoyuuki, facing Sadogatake rikishi five days running: "It wasn't unpleasant, I was just surprised that it happened again today. It's not easy.."

Kotoshouhou, unscathed after the first third of the basho: " I'm able to do sumo with patience. It's still the first half so I want to continue like this and take things seriously a bout at a time ."

Shouhouzan, losing today for his fifth straight loss: "I thought Kotoshouhou would put more pressure on me  but he didn't.  I was done in by his softness in the end.."

Kotonowaka, losing to his high school senpai Myougiryuu: "I went with all I had intending to use his chest. It became his pace, but I think I could have attacked more.."

Ishiura, lame tachiai and losing to Tamawashi: "I couldn't conjure up a winning image.. Turning  my back towards him and running away was what appeared in my sumo .."

Hokutofuji, postponing his wedding ceremony due to the Coronavirus: "It's not like I'll get divorced because of the delay. I hope everyone will be able to gather and smile when the time comes.. I'd like to radiate health from the dohyo!"

Takayasu, beating Terunofuji in an ex-Ozeki battle: " He has returned from way down and far away.. I decided I will give it my all today. The content was very good and I was able to win!"

Shoudai, beating  genki sanyaku counterpart Okinoumi: "The content was not good. I lost at the tachiai energy-wise. I managed to get a throw in while falling, and that's what decided the bout."

Ounoshou, 0-5, not being able to beat Hakuhou twice in a row, facing Asanoyama tomorrow: "I'm not in bad shape. I'll be going for a win tomorrow as well!"

Kotoshougiku, tied for 7th now in overall career wins with Harumafuji: "The record will mean something when I retire.. I'm just going up there day by day thinking I don't want to lose."

Mitakeumi, second straight basho starting with a 5-0 record, facing only hiramaku rikishi so far: "My condition is gradually getting better. Winning 5 straight is how it should be, at my rank."

Asanoyama, second straight basho with a 5-0 start as well: "I am nervous, but my body is moving well. It took me a while today. The fact that I couldn't generate an attack is something to reflect upon. During the stalemate I kept telling myself that I cannot lose under any circumstances. The fans are coming in even though the virus is scary and i would like to show them my gratitude."

Hakuhou, beating Ounoshou and remaining unbeaten. He hasn't been relying on tachiai harites this basho so far : "I told myself these 5 days were important. I'd like to ride the wave of my current condition and  continue with this content day by day .."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Posted (edited)

I noticed that the juryo dohyo-iri is about 25% faster than the makuuchi dohyo-iri, faster ki beat rhythm and the gyoji speaks faster. On day 5 for the first time this basho, shimpan sat at the dohyo during the juryo ceremony - without them the rikishi don't have to do some greeting while they pass, just before they step onto the dohyo. If the preparation time till the juryo dohyo-iri starts is long, the shimpan rather run away than wait. They always stay there for the makuuchi dohyo-iri.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, dada78641 said:

523B15v.jpg

"Toyota Corolla 2016 in great shape from a doctor.."

• Haha 1

Surprised to see Takayasu pulling out a performance like that. 

I'm really impressed with Kotoshoho, winning is one thing, but he's beating capable opponents with good Sumo imo. 

Kiribayama really surprised me today. I'll have to keep a closer eye on him from now on.

Takayasu is the one who really shocked me, though. 

Yeah, I agree Asa vs Kiri was a good match.   

What was Enho doing at Tachihai?   Ditto for Endo.   

In case anyone missed the Enho jump:

dKFceyw.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, dada78641 said:

In case anyone missed the Enho jump:

dKFceyw.gif

This is exactly what I was doing when I 'popped' my knee doing warm up for a cricket match 20 years ago, hasn't been the same since. *shudder*

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, dada78641 said:

523B15v.jpg

LOL!   

I apologize for harming the delicate balance of a perfect society.  I gladly accept the punishment.

Nobody think possible hair pull by Takakeisho today? Or just a little entanglement of fingers in hair? 

Oh yeah, forgot, there was this... certain unknown masked individual doing security.

RlDhnD4.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Shatsume said:

This is exactly what I was doing when I 'popped' my knee doing warm up for a cricket match 20 years ago, hasn't been the same since. *shudder*

Could've just bowled an over of dibbly-dobbly offspin... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pandaazuma said:

Kotoshoho is very impressive.

So, who will be the bigger next thing: Kotoshoho or Kiribayama?

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Kotoshougiku, tied for 7th now in overall career wins with Harumafuji.

That's a bit of a surprise to me. Harumafuji's career didn't seem to last that long after all.

5 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

So, who will be the bigger next thing: Kotoshoho or Kiribayama?

That's a bit of a surprise to me. Harumafuji's career didn't seem to last that long after all.

Started one year earlier than Giku.  It helps that he had 210 fewer losses at this point, too.

• Like 3