Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

38 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Terunofuji, ex-Ozeki, back iמ Makuuchi after 14 bashos and winning all three of his first matches: "My body is n good condition.I can only go about it with confidence.."

If he says so... He looks powerful but yet frail at the same time, with all those bandages.

At least all the ex-Ozeki are currently in Makuuchi ... so they got that going for them.

11 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

If he says so... He looks powerful but yet frail at the same time, with all those bandages.

"He's more machine now, than man ... except not twisted and evil."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I'm prepared to accept that Hakuho making damn sure Endo went out was 'in the flow of the match', as they say, but it flowed a remarkably long way up the hanamichi! I too had time to wonder if he'd decided, "Nah, keep the kensho. I'm off."

It was my first thought in live speed that there is some lesson in giving, but then in slow-motion it seemed in the flow - in the moment of final push Endo was still in, even if compromised. The run was more funny in slow motion as well, passionate hops...

1 hour ago, Kashunowaka said:

I would't exactly call him 'frail' -- even when his legs failed him and made him into a pushover painful to watch and everyone thought his career was over 'frail' wasn't the word that came to mind. 

He had a problem and he overcame it, thanks to good coaching and the Isegahama gym. And Aminishiki surely told him how to get the most out of those legs. I am happy for him that his perseverance paid off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Kagayaki is in severe danger of making his Sanyaku debut.

I hope not. I passed him over as my Banzuke Surfing pick.

17 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

Somebody at Abema or NHK needs to re-record _The Twilight Zone_ theme music with an ensemble of kotos, the Japanese plucked string instrument.  Then, for the first five matches of Makuuchi we would hear the music and know that we were in the Koto Zone.  Tonight, the interloper match invading the Koto Zone should be announced as Terunokotofuji vs Chiyokotomaru.  Such things happen....in the Koto Zone.

With the help of a MIDI editor, here is what the Koto Zone theme would sound like with koto replacing the guitar:

http://www.mcbruce.ca/kotozone.WAV

While you listen, think of Rod Serling's voice saying this:

Imagine yourself at an arena in Japan, watching a sumo tournament where every match features a wrestler whose name begins with Koto.  These kotos never wrestle one another, they simply cover an entire range of the schedule, immobilizing all who watch them with feelings of deja vu, as they enter .... the Koto Zone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Katooshu said:

I usually don't like to say much about form so early on (day 1: so and so is looking good, day 5: so and so just isn't himself this basho, day 8: wow, so and so is the next ozeki, day 13: so and so just isn't ready for this level of sumo, might need to regroup in juryo)..... but Asanoyama is winning like he's facing small children, and that includes beating 2 opponents he didn't have winning records against. Nice progress Ishibashi(Showingoff...) , let's see how he does next vs another guy leading their head to head (Daieisho).

Losing overall record to Daieisho, but in the vein of "what have you done for me lately", I'd say he turned that tide a while back.  He has won the last three, after all...

2 hours ago, orandashoho said:

He had a problem and he overcame it, thanks to good coaching and the Isegahama gym.

Ironically it was because of Isegahama stable, coaches, etc that he got all those injuries and end up in the 5th division.

As it was extensively discussed at the time, intead of treating correctly the first injury when he got it, he was fighting injured for a year, before starting a proper treatment. Only Isegahama to blame there.

And thus we lost what would be today the dominant yokozuna and the worthy succession to Hakuho...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looked to me Takakeisho was going back for the big Left and okimouni got him throat thrust.. well done.

Kagayaki's footwork looking a bit better hope he keeps it up. I woke up briefly in the middle of the night, Ura was fighting and a strong win, back to sleep 1 minute later. 

20 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

This artist reminds me of James Thurber.  What a great sketch!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Adil said:

And with that, Hakuho just got himself a new record that will stand for a long, long time: The longest run up the hanamichi after jumping off the dohyo before returning.

... and he made Endo wait 14 seconds on the line before being dismissed.(Ayokozuna...)

Hakuho looking large and in charge.

God bless Terunofuji.

Shame about Kakuryu.

FWIW, for the July basho, the next day's torikumi is being announced about 2 hours later than normal.

Terunofuji looks good to me.  At M17, I expect him to rack up easy wins and be in contention for the yusho for a long time. 

Mitakeumi looks more agile although his three wins were not very impressive.  

Anyone know how the ticket sales is going?  

1 hour ago, Asojima said:

FWIW, for the July basho, the next day's torikumi is being announced about 2 hours later than normal.

It's already been that way in March.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Anyone know how the ticket sales is going?  

Plenty of seats still available, day 1 had about 2000 of 2500 sold, the next days much less - day 15 is/was at last about sold out, but resales pop up frequently http://sumo.pia.jp/vacant/va07.jsp

Actually 589 tickets are returned for resale at the moment http://sumo.pia.jp/resale/purchase/list.do?rbPageType=ticket&rb_rlsCd=017&rb_eventCd=2016702&eventCd=2016702

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Plenty of seats still available, day 1 had about 2000 of 2500 sold, the next days much less - day 15 is/was at last about sold out, but resales pop up frequently http://sumo.pia.jp/vacant/va07.jsp

Actually 589 tickets are returned for resale at the moment http://sumo.pia.jp/resale/purchase/list.do?rbPageType=ticket&rb_rlsCd=017&rb_eventCd=2016702&eventCd=2016702

And that are just the chair tickets - plus 349 masu seat tickets on resale now http://sumo.pia.jp/resale/purchase/list.do?rbPageType=ticket&rb_rlsCd=017&rb_eventCd=2016390&eventCd=2016390

Sanspo this basho doesn't as usual publish the numbers the next morning

Edited by Akinomaki

Enho got an easy win against Aoiyama who lost his balance.  The little dude is still going strong.  

Can Terunofuji turn a Tokushoryu?  

Takakeisho nearly tumbling over during his sonkyo kinda sums up his form right now. Getting it done, but geez.

Hakuho not looking too great against Takanosho, even though he won.

52 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Can Terunofuji turn a Tokushoryu? 

8 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Anyone else feeling the Tokushoryu-style Terunofuji yusho?

So Terunofuji isn't a former Ozeki with one yusho and four jun-yusho anymore but some black horse without a career so far?? Oh, puhleeze....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1