Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

Recommended Posts

We barely missed another "never happened" occurrence -- if Mitoryu had won the Juryo yusho, it would have been the first time that the top two divisions had winners from the bottom rank of the division at the same time. (Terunofuji was east, not west, but still on M17 nonetheless.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hokuseiho kinda reminds me of Akebono when I first saw him: way too long in the leg! But Akebono overcame that supposed 'disadvantage' quite admirably.

Hope he keeps the name because I like the way it sounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Sue said:

We barely missed another "never happened" occurrence -- if Mitoryu had won the Juryo yusho, it would have been the first time that the top two divisions had winners from the bottom rank of the division at the same time. (Terunofuji was east, not west, but still on M17 nonetheless.)

Nice spot!  I think I know your answer, but I'm going to ask anyway.  What "never happened" occurrence would you have preferred: (a) makujiri yusho in divisions one and two or (b) a six wrestler playoff that ended up being a tomoesen between three wrestlers from the same stable?

The latter eventuality hinged on Hoshoryu beating Mitoryu in the last regulation bout of the tournament. (And I'm not sure Mitoryu could have beaten Meisei in the playoffs.  Meisei looked pretty strong this tournament.)

Edited by Amamaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jsolo said:

Did a Blog Post on the entire July Basho. Mainly for new fans, but you might be interested. Any feedback welcome

https://jbssumo.blogspot.com/2020/03/results-from-haru-spring-2020.html

You've put in a phenomenal amount of work in gathering virtually every detail from the July Tournament.  

If I were to offer feedback, I'd suggest adding some colour as in photographic images and a more interesting visual presentation in terms of different font sizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Nice spot!  I think I know your answer, but I'm going to ask anyway.  What "never happened" occurrence would you have preferred: (a) makujiri yusho in divisions one and two or (b) a six wrestler playoff that ended up being a tomoesen between three wrestlers from the same stable?

The latter eventuality hinged on Hoshoryu beating Mitoryu in the last regulation bout of the tournament. (And I'm not sure Mitoryu could have beaten Meisei in the playoffs.  Meisei looked pretty strong this tournament.)

I'm going to cheat, and say that I'd rather have a seven-way playoff, won by the J14w rikishi. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/08/2020 at 13:48, Tigerboy1966 said:

His pre-sumo name is Davaaninj Ariunaa, which is about as Mongolian as "Paddy O'Riley" is Irish. Somehow they got him registered with a Japanese hometown, but he's definitely Mongolian.

   

So, the humorous aside is: I think that's him in the background of my profile shot!

And, I've posted a video of him doing asageiko in January, with Hokaho and Ishiura doing shiko and watching. Is that him? If so, I have 3 or 4 more videos I can post if you're interested.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

So, the humorous aside is: I think that's him in the background of my profile shot!

And, I've posted a video of him doing asageiko in January, with Hokaho and Ishiura doing shiko and watching. Is that him? If so, I have 3 or 4 more videos I can post if you're interested.

 

I would enjoy seeing those videos, Kaminariyuki.  It DOES look like him.

Edited by sumojoann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Took a look at the keiko clip---he sure beat those low rankers easily enough, would've been interesting to see him vs someone more like Hokaho. I notice that Toma seems to have slimmed down, though didn't help him this basho!

And that poor guy who had to lose to Enho about 20 times in a row (Laughing...)

Edited by Katooshu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much for the feedback Amamaniac. Much appreciated. As far as photos, I thought it better to let nissansports.com do the photogrraphy. I loved their daily photo essays and looked forward to them every day. 

As far as  fonts and color, if you look below the July Basho, you will see the reports I did for the March Basho, in which I used color and fonts generously. However, I found that I am not very skilled in formatting blogs on blogger, and was spending more time fixing formatting than actually blogging. :-)

I also used color and fonting on the Banzuke piece I uploaded in April. 

Blogger has now put out a "new version", which is difficult to get used to, but has more  powerful features than the old one. I will experiment with your suggestions for the next Basho.

And by the way, for those who are not already aware of Chris Sumo Youtube, I have added links to his post-basho commentary. I find his stuff indispensable for a new fan like me, 

https://jbssumo.blogspot.com/2020/03/results-from-haru-spring-2020.html

 

Again, many thanks for your input.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Terunofuji's virtual press conference, life stories, and so on.

 

Edited by code_number3
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/08/2020 at 09:12, RabidJohn said:

Very unusual to see 3 double digit scores in lower sanyaku, isn't it? Daieisho has forced a sekiwake promotion (I believe), and Okinoumi's 9-6 is a career high KK too.

By the way, this is Okinoumi's first San'yaku KK at the age of 35. To be honest, he has looked capable of that for a long time, but he has also seemed to be happy to just get by. Since posting 8 back-to-back wins in September 2019 he has appeared more confident and more determined to get wins. It is good that does not give up so quickly anymore. If only he had made that change a lot earlier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, shumitto said:

By the way, this is Okinoumi's first San'yaku KK at the age of 35. To be honest, he has looked capable of that for a long time, but he has also seemed to be happy to just get by. Since posting 8 back-to-back wins in September 2019 he has appeared more confident and more determined to get wins. It is good that does not give up so quickly anymore. If only he had made that change a lot earlier. 

Okinoumi is one of a number of rikishi who appears to have everything he needs, but fails to deliver. Ikioi is another one that springs to mind. There's late blooming, like Tamawashi, but I believe 35 is leaving it far too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, shumitto said:

By the way, this is Okinoumi's first San'yaku KK at the age of 35. To be honest, he has looked capable of that for a long time, but he has also seemed to be happy to just get by. Since posting 8 back-to-back wins in September 2019 he has appeared more confident and more determined to get wins. It is good that does not give up so quickly anymore. If only he had made that change a lot earlier. 

 

11 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Okinoumi is one of a number of rikishi who appears to have everything he needs, but fails to deliver. Ikioi is another one that springs to mind. There's late blooming, like Tamawashi, but I believe 35 is leaving it far too late.

I wonder if it's anything to do with the emergence of Hokutofuji? Having a joi/sanyaku level heya-mate must be helpful, look at Kisenosato/Takayasu's shared rise and fall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now