Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

From today: the lower div yusho winners - j meisei, ms Chiyonokuni, sd Fukai, jd Takeoka, jk Hokuseiho 

202008020000319-w200_15.jpgo EeZoE_eVoAAvVbJ.jpg:thumbo

Hokuseiho is 6 ft 7 in (200cm) and weighs 348 lbs (158kg).  Comparing his height and weight with Hakuho --- Hakuho is 6 ft 4 in (192cm) and weighs 333 lbs (151kg).  And comparing with Ichinojo --- Ichinojo is 6 ft 4 in (192cm) and weighs 440 lbs (200kg).

Edited by sumojoann

Juryo winner Meisei: "The bout with Hoshoryu was the hardest".

The 3 Tatsunami guys that ended in the juryo tomoesen ketteisen had talked about it before the basho: "Like to do a ketteisen". Meisei: "I had joked 'If we have one, I'll do a henka', in reality my body reacted." Akua: "Nice, isn't it, to have us 3 do it. He had said, for the case we meet: 'I'll do a henka full power', and he really did. That's frustrating."

AS20200802001031_commL.jpgo

http://hochi.news/articles/20200802-OHT1T50172.html

• Like 3

On 02/08/2020 at 11:05, Akinomaki said:
On 02/08/2020 at 11:01, Seiyashi said:

Wow how did they get the picture out so fast?

That is just a default pic, the yusho photo will be taken later

They are really fast at Mainichi: the mini yusho portrait can already be ordered. The photo shoot in the studio will be sometime in August, the ordered portraits will be delivered starting mid September. https://mainichi.jp/articles/20200804/ddm/035/050/098000c

8 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Hokuseiho is 6 ft 7 in (200cm) and weighs 348 lbs (158kg).

Hokuseiho = Blue Phoenix of the North?  I know 鵬 isn't exactly "phoenix" but it's still a cool name.

• Like 2

There was so much going on this tournament, especially on the final day.  I am still processing it.

But it would appear there was another record set in terms of the fewest sanyaku men up on the dohyo with the NSK Chairman for the Kyokai goaisatsu Association Address on the final day.  I've scanned all the 6-annual tournament banzuke, and never have there been only five (5) sanyaku men left competing for that formal address.  I did, however, spot at least three times with only six (6) elite wrestlers left on the final day.  

What does that say about the current state of oozumo?  Clearly, it is in a transition phase, and there is an urgent need for some promotions!  

"Truth be told, I never thought I'd win so many bouts. I was thinking 10 wins and maybe a sansho, if I take it a day at a time.  Everyone at the heya was happy for me. The young guys bought me a bottle of champagne which was really tasty. I just did my best, hoping the results will follow.. The knees? In the final stages,. I could hardly bend them. During the yusho ceremonies I had to go on and off the dohyo a lot and it was hard. '" said Terunofuji in his interview today. Usually everyone takes a week off after the July basho, but he intends to start training on Wednesday. "It's for the sake of my body. I'll go all out and do all I can do in my current condition," he summed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

"Truth be told, I never thought I'd win so many bouts. I was thinking 10 wins and maybe a sansho, if I take it a day at a time.  Everyone at the heya was happy for me. The young guys bought me a bottle of champagne which was really tasty. I just did my best, hoping the results will follow.. The knees? In the final stages,. I could hardly bend them. During the yusho ceremonies I had to go on and off the dohyo a lot and it was hard. '" said Terunofuji in his interview today. Usually everyone takes a week off after the July basho, but he intends to start training on Wednesday. "It's for the sake of my body. I'll go all out and do all I can do in my current condition," he summed.

Hmm I wonder how long the knees will last, some parts of the body will just never be the same, I know all about that! He is pretty lucky for this yusho, he didn't really go up against very much. Personally without a match with a healthy Ozeki in the tournament I don't really count it, doesn't feel right to me.

• Confused 1

What about his win against Asanoyama?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Naganoyama said:

What about his win against Asanoyama?

Oh sorry I think I meant Yokozuna, I am a bit out if it haha. I still think his opposition was a bit thin. Hak doesn't have much opposition either these days, he is cracking here and there but if he is healthy it's a tall order. Too bad there isn't anyone really close to him, they have to hope he is not totally healthy or makes a mistake.

6 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Hokuseiho = Blue Phoenix of the North?  I know 鵬 isn't exactly "phoenix" but it's still a cool name.

From what wikipedia says, "ho" means Peng, a giant bird that transforms from a giant fish in Chinese mythology.  But on another wikipedia page, it does say it could mean "phoenix".  Yes, it is a cool name!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

They are really fast at Mainichi: the mini yusho portrait can already be ordered. The photo shoot in the studio will be sometime in August, the ordered portraits will be delivered starting mid September. https://mainichi.jp/articles/20200804/ddm/035/050/098000c

Do you know how much the mini Yusho portrait of Terunofuji costs?

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

From what wikipedia says, "ho" means Peng, a giant bird that transforms from a giant fish in Chinese mythology.  But on another wikipedia page, it does say it could mean "phoenix".  Yes, it is a cool name!

The peng is a Chinese mythological bird that flies off to a strange sea.  The phoenix is a Greek bird that won't die.  The Chinese knew nothing of the phoenix, and the Greeks knew nothing of the peng.  Some European imagined a connection between the two because they were both big birds.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Asojima said:

The peng is a Chinese mythological bird that flies off to a strange sea.  The phoenix is a Greek bird that won't die.  The Chinese knew nothing of the phoenix, and the Greeks knew nothing of the peng.  Some European imagined a connection between the two because they were both big birds.

... and then, tragically, they mated.  https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Big_Bird

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Asojima said:

鹏 is often not translated in Chinese; it’s usually just ‘Peng’. ‘Phoenix’ is the standard translation for another mythical bird called ‘feng’ (凤).

4 hours ago, sumojoann said:

The same character was used by TaiHO ("great peng") and HakuHO ("white peng").  ShHOzan ("pine-peng-mountain") uses a different kanji with the same meaning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asojima said:

In Chinese mythology, phoenix (凤) is the king of all birds and she gave birth to a giant peacock and a giant bird called Peng (鹏). However, the great ancient Chinese philosopher Zhuang Zi wrote: "In the Northern Sea there lived a giant fish called 'Kun' (鲲) whose size was over many thousands miles. The 'Kun' transformed into a giant bird called 'Peng' (鹏) whose size was over many thousands miles. When the 'Peng' flied, his wings were like clound covering the heaven."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

In Chinese mythology, phoenix (凤) is the king of all birds and she gave birth to a giant peacock and a giant bird called Peng (鹏). However, the great ancient Chinese philosopher Zhuang Zi wrote: "In the Northern Sea there lived a giant fish called 'Kun' (鲲) whose size was over many thousands miles. The 'Kun' transformed into a giant bird called 'Peng' (鹏) whose size was over many thousands miles. When the 'Peng' flied, his wings were like clound covering the heaven."

How very poetic!  I've always thought it was interesting that Hakuho's astrological sign is Pisces (fish).  It's almost as if Hakuho (Kun) transformed into Peng, a giant bird, and ruled the world of sumo.  (Hakuho's shikona means White Peng). 

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 808morgan said:

Hmm I wonder how long the knees will last, some parts of the body will just never be the same, I know all about that!

Ajigawa (Aminishiki) will teach him all the right things and tools to go on for long also with ruined knees

Edited by Akinomaki

5 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Do you know how much the mini Yusho portrait of Terunofuji costs?

All the portraits since Fuji film took over in 2014 are now sold for 9800 yen, up from 9600 at first, which includes delivery - and they only ship within Japan

On 24/05/2020 at 20:19, Akinomaki said:

Starting June 1st, Mainichi shimbun presents the yusho portraits for sale on a new site https://www.mainichi-sumo.com/. 380 exist on film, from 1951 till Hatsu 2020. Till Hatsu 1967 for 20500 Yen, from Haru 1967 till Kyushu 2009 16500Yen, from Hatsu 2010 till Kyushu 2013 13000Yen, and those since the introduction of digital format in 2014 are sold for 9800Yen.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dapeng said:

Your name is Taiho!(Laughing...)

Edited by code_number3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Asojima said:

The Chinese knew nothing of the phoenix, and the Greeks knew nothing of the peng. 

Okay, it is with great trepidation that I challenge the Ancient Observer! Are you absolutely sure about that?

I know they didn't have the Internet back then, but there was communication over most of the northern hemisphere going back to the bronze age. I'm sure you've heard of the Silk Road, which connected the ancient, pre-China 'Orient' with Persia, and the Persians and Greeks definitely had a lot of interaction.

But they've also found semi-precious materials like jade in bronze age burials in the UK, stuff that came from the 'Far East'.

Sure, the Greeks and Chinese didn't know each other at all well, and the phoenix and peng are not examples of one culture copying the other. More likely some unknown early man or woman came up with an original IP about a magic transformative bird, and they've been plagiarised/homaged/developed ever since. Phoenix, peng, thunderbird, roc... 

---

Way off-topic, but hey, the basho's over.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I know they didn't have the Internet back then

We’ve barely got it in China now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

Okay, it is with great trepidation that I challenge the Ancient Observer! Are you absolutely sure about that?

I know they didn't have the Internet back then, but there was communication over most of the northern hemisphere going back to the bronze age. I'm sure you've heard of the Silk Road, which connected the ancient, pre-China 'Orient' with Persia, and the Persians and Greeks definitely had a lot of interaction.

But they've also found semi-precious materials like jade in bronze age burials in the UK, stuff that came from the 'Far East'.

Sure, the Greeks and Chinese didn't know each other at all well, and the phoenix and peng are not examples of one culture copying the other. More likely some unknown early man or woman came up with an original IP about a magic transformative bird, and they've been plagiarised/homaged/developed ever since. Phoenix, peng, thunderbird, roc... 

---

Way off-topic, but hey, the basho's over.

"Cultural appropriation" at it's finest!

5 hours ago, code_number3 said:

Your name is Taiho!(Laughing...)

Exactly. It was my first name before I went to school. 

• Like 1

On 02/08/2020 at 14:27, Akinomaki said:

From today: the lower div yusho winners - j meisei, ms Chiyonokuni, sd Fukai, jd Takeoka, jk Hokuseiho 

202008020000319-w200_15.jpgo EeZoE_eVoAAvVbJ.jpg:thumbo

Thanks for that. He is, indeed, a very big boy and it's awfully impressive to win one's first basho!