Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

1 hour ago, code_number3 said:

I hope not today, or Abi-like scandal will happen (Laughing...)

Terunofuji-Teruya-Shunba together

The oyakata only has to allow it - the rule has changed today

11 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Can't find a picture of the kid, but I did notice that he's not Mongolian

His pre-sumo name is Davaaninj Ariunaa, which is about as Mongolian as "Paddy O'Riley" is Irish. Somehow they got him registered with a Japanese hometown, but he's definitely Mongolian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a fun and exciting basho this turned out to be. Really enjoyed. Lots of interesting matches poised for September.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Can't find a picture of the kid, but I did notice that he's not Mongolian. The official Grand Sumo web site lists him as from Hokkaido. The only list I see of Miyagino personnel is this, but I thin it's a little old as Miyagino only has one gyoji at the moment, or so I thought:

He is Mongolian - both parents are from Mongolia and he lives in Japan since age 5. He's one of 2 recent foreigners with Japanese shusshin: the NSK is not as strict with the foreigners rule as those complaining in the old threads claim.

Edit: the pics threads are full of pics with him (day 13 and 15)

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kaiomitsuki said:

+ Nishikigi's lost today

= For me... It's Yes !

I reckon Nishkigi even gets the nod to stay up at the expense of Hoshoryu. They'll put Hoshoryu at J1e so that he has to prove he's worthy, but only has to get the bare minimum KK to do so. 

That's what's going on my gtb entry anyway (Laughing...)

I freaking loved this basho, not only in makuuchi but in the other divisions as well (Jumpinginecstasy...)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Can't find a picture of the kid, but I did notice that he's not Mongolian

From today: the lower div yusho winners - j meisei, ms Chiyonokuni, sd Fukai, jd Takeoka, jk Hokuseiho 

202008020000319-w200_15.jpgo EeZoE_eVoAAvVbJ.jpg:thumbo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great basho. Juryo playoff was good, especially the last two matches: the first for the fighting and the second for the mind games (and the "emotional" fist pump).

Top division final also very satisfying. Terunofuji's win over Mitakeumi was convincing, and Asanoyama's finish as well. Would a playoff been more dramatic? Sure...but then I thought back to the last time I saw Terunofuji in an a Makuuchi playoff, and would not want a repeat of that for anyone involved...

Not one, but two M17 yushos in 2020. Truth is stranger than fiction, this year more than ever! (Laughing...)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Can't find a picture of the kid, but I did notice that he's not Mongolian. The official Grand Sumo web site lists him as from Hokkaido. The only list I see of Miyagino personnel is this, but I thin it's a little old as Miyagino only has one gyoji at the moment, or so I thought:

http://heyaaz.nagioff.com/2020/Heya/Miyagino.html

Are you talking about Hokuseiho?  He has a rather Mongolian (or at very least not Japanese at all despite Hokkaido Shusshin) real name as listed at http://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/champions/ - Ariunaa Davaaninj

edit: Should have made sure I was on the last page before mentioning this, as someone else got to it way earlier.

Edited by Gurowake

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Steak?

Steak.

5 hours ago, Gurowake said:

the "Koto Zone"

They need to form a band by this name. I bet Kotoeko could play a mean guitar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asojima said:

but back then, the first K in KK  would have been Kuramae. :-P

Very true, but it would have been 3 Ks, but in this day and age, I didn't want to offend anyone.:-D

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Reonito said:

Who takes his spot?

Houshouryuu? Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon.. I'll stick with this..

• Like 1

Kotoshogiku's new straight-legs-bum-up tachiai stance attracted a lot of curiosity this tournament, at least on this Forum.  With a KK finish, his newly adopted form served him well enough...

However, during Abema TV's coverage of senshuraku, special guest commentator Wakanohana commented that the starting position leaves Kotoshogiku with his head down as the tachiai starts.  He rightly pointed out that this makes "Giku" vulnerable to falling and/or being taken down immediately.  And that is exactly what his opponent, Hokutofuji did (i.e., hatakikomi).

Perhaps Kotoshogiku will rethink the wisdom of this stance.  But I get the impression that oozumo wrestlers stick with the style that they prepared with for a tournament, and won't make major adjustments half way through a honbasho.

2 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Kotoshogiku's new straight-legs-bum-up tachiai stance attracted a lot of curiosity this tournament, at least on this Forum.  With a KK finish, his newly adopted form served him well enough...

It did work for him the first week of the basho. Then it got figured out and that was the end of that.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

No way. 

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Houshouryuu? Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon.. I'll stick with this..

There's a fair chance of both Ikioi and Houshouryuu being in makuuchi next basho, provided they bump Nishikigi down to juryo. No chance of Chiyomaru, Kotoyuuki or Kotonowaka sticking around, so if Nishikigi joins them on the southbound journey, the obvious promotions would be Meisei, Tobizaru, Kyokutaisei and Houshouryuu. 

• Like 1

Well that was a really great basho, congratulations to Terunofuji! The return of Sumo definitely provided some therapeutic tranquility over the 15 days of watching, so glad to have this beautiful sport back. Hoping everyone stays safe and we can have some more fun for September's basho.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

It did work for him the first week of the basho. Then it got figured out and that was the end of that.

One also wonders if he just ran out of steam. He was less mummified than he's been in ages (presumably due to the extra recovery time) but I wouldn't be surprised if his late decline was simply his not-a-spring-chicken-anymore body wearing out over the course of 15 bouts.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

The forum members used to 'adopt' rikishi and give updates on their adoptees after ever tournament.

Interesting. I just thought of doing this, after seeing the clip about Hokuseiho being Hakuho's recruit and winning the Jonokuchi yusho in his first basho. Although I have a a feeling I won't be the only one keeping an eye on this guy...

Mr Gould finally breaks his self-imposed silence. 

In his interview Terunofuji thanked his oyakata for persuading him to remain in sumo and take as long as he needed to recover from his injury. Chris praises Isegahama-oyakata for this too. 

Has everyone developed amnesia? I know my memory is crap, but I definitely remember it was Isegahama-san who let his deshi get into that state in the first place!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kotogouryuu said:

Interesting. I just thought of doing this, after seeing the clip about Hokuseiho being Hakuho's recruit and winning the Jonokuchi yusho in his first basho. Although I have a a feeling I won't be the only one keeping an eye on this guy...

That would be correct. After seeing how large he is, I will be watching him as well.

On 22/07/2020 at 02:34, code_number3 said:

Originally, this Tweet captured an almost comical jog down the hanamichi by Yokozuna Hakuho on day 3.  

But now when I look at it, it seems to capture a completely different aspect of this tournament.  Could this not also be a depiction of Hakuho running away from the competition (i.e., going kyujo) when he saw Terunofuji returning to Makuuchi and having his way with even the elite opponents that he was made to fight?  ;-)

2 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Has everyone developed amnesia? I know my memory is crap, but I definitely remember it was Isegahama-san who let his deshi get into that state in the first place!

I was thinking this as well. Terunofuji kept showing up every tournament even though he was injured. He even returned in one tournament after going kujo with no wins.....(Thinkingindepth...)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Originally, this Tweet captured an almost comical jog down the hanamichi by Yokozuna Hakuho on day 3.  

But now when I look at it, it seems to capture a completely different aspect of this tournament.  Could this not also be a depiction of Hakuho running away from the competition (i.e., going kyujo) when he saw Terunofuji returning to Makuuchi and having his way with even the elite opponents that he was made to fight?  ;-)

Almost forgot that happened (Laughing...)

Who at that point would've thought that the basho would end like this?

I guess if Hakuho didn't pull out he would have been happy instead to take on Terunofuji as a test for both of them (and show that wry smile when defeated).

One instance that Hakuko might have tried to 'run away' is probably when he nearly broke his arm defeating Kakuryu to avoid a playoff with a 14-1 monster Ichinojo.