Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

2 minutes ago, Kaiomitsuki said:

+ Nishikigi's lost today

= For me... It's Yes !

I have Nishikigi, Kotonowaka, Kotoyuki and Chiyomaru going down, and Meisei, Tobizaru, Kyokutaisei and Hoshoryu going up. I have Ikioi surviving at the expense of Ichinojo.  I would much prefer Ichinojo to be in maku'uchi, but I think that Ikioi might have a lucky escape.

• Like 3

To me Meisei - Hoshoryu in the juryo playoff was Bout of the Day, when it comes to exciting sumo. Twenty seconds of oshi-yotsu-nage-zumo between two evenly matched rikishi who obviously know each other well, with the right man winning in the end. I'll root for them both next basho.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

To me Meisei - Hoshoryu in the juryo playoff was Bout of the Day, when it comes to exciting sumo. Twenty seconds of oshi-yotsu-nage-zumo between two evenly matched rikishi who obviously know each other well, with the right man winning in the end. I'll root for them both next basho.

After Meisei won his last bout with Akua to win the Juryo Yusho, he and Hoshoryu hugged each other in that backstage area, so apparently they are friends as well as stablemates.  Here is a video showing the hug --- See 9:45. 

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Terunofuji is the 2nd after Kaiketsu from m4 Aki 1976 to win the yusho after a full drop from ozeki. http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2020/08/02/0013567362.shtml

Kaiketsu made it back to ozeki soon after - as the only to make it back after the full drop, that yusho being even part of the ozeki run. Terunofuji first has to make it back to sanyaku.

Edited by Akinomaki

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Gospodin said:

Can someone enlighten me what exactly qualified Terunofuji for the Gino-Sho ?(Eh?)

Not using cheap moves like ashitori ;-)

Seriously though, the ginosho is not just awarded to those who can pull off spectacular techniques, but those who do their "brand of sumo" (for want of a better phrase) most effectively. I've also heard it described as simply a more prestigious version of the kantosho. 

Edited by ryafuji
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gospodin said:

Can someone enlighten me what exactly qualified Terunofuji for the Gino-Sho ?

He did classic yotsu sumo for 15 days. His technique was correct and precise. He showed great balance and executed his winning moves perfectly. What else do you want?

• Like 4

Does anyone know if the Tatsunami Juryo rikishi were drawn intentionally into separate preliminary matches?

4 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

He did classic yotsu sumo for 15 days. His technique was correct and precise. He showed great balance and executed his winning moves perfectly. What else do you want?

People were asking why Terunofuji got the gino-sho, this is a pretty good explanation.

Although Terunofuji's style is all about strength, he did everything right to win with his style.

7 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Does anyone know if the Tatsunami Juryo rikishi were drawn intentionally into separate preliminary matches?

It didn't look like it from the video, but I don't know the answer.

Someone somewhere asked why Takayasu and Tochinoshin didn't meet despite having good records and being relatively close in rank.  This should be at least partially attributed to the "Koto Zone".  The 5 Sadogatake rikishi faced both of the aforementioned former Ozeki, along with pretty much everyone else on the lower half of the banzuke, so that left less matches for those not in their heya to face each other. 

Additionally, while I didn't do my matrix of match likelihoods, I also suspect that they are in the part of the banzuke, at around 10 people from the bottom, where, due to how many matches for lower-ranked rikishi need to be scheduled against higher-ranked one because they're not bringing additional guys up from Juryo, the likelihood of the rikishi in that area meeting drops dramatically.  Thus, if they aren't scheduled early, it's more likely that they're forced to fight elsewhere to get matches for all the lower-ranked rikishi compared to similar gaps in rank elsewhere in the banzuke.  This effect was greatly amplified in this basho due to the 5 Koto- rikishi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

...after Kaiketsu from m4 Aki 1976 to win the yusho after a full drop from ozeki.

I remember that vividly.  My 1st ever trip to the KK was on nakabi (the only day Kaiketsu lost that basho.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Final day sprachen:

Juryo Tobizaru (Flying Monkey is  the direct translation, brother of Hidenoumi, also in Juryo), 9 wins and a good chance for a Makuuchi promotion: "I'm happy. I was not in defensive mode, I was able to do forward - moving sumo for the entire 15 days of the basho."

Shouhouzan, fifth win that may have saved him from demotion to Juryo: "I'll face the next basho doing the fundamentals seriously. I need to make my body more mobile, or else.."

Sadanoumi, first kachikoshi in 4 bashos: " My body's condition got better during the one-basho hiatus. I'll rest tomorrow and start moving my body the day after."

Tochinoshin, first double-digit wins since last May: " I was wondering if I could get ten wins, so i'm happy with that. I want to continue doing sumo for a long time and will gambarize accordingly!"

Kotoshouhou, first Makuuchi basho and a kachikoshi, but losing his last two to end with eight wins: "When you inadvertently pull, it's the end, is one of the many things I learned in Makuuchi. I would like to make use of what I learned in the future."

Kotoekou (echo, echo,echo), first ever double-digit wins in Makuuchi: "It's the first time so I'm happy. I decided to simply go out and attack and that took me in the right direction.."

Takayasu, first double -digit wins since last March: "I'm relieved. I've gone through difficult times with my injuries and overcame them and the results followed. I will be concentrating in anticipation for the next basho again!"

Enhou, his worst Makuuchi record of ten losses: "Not enough training, not enough effort . Shameful. I can't allow that.."

Terunofuji, yusho after all the troubles: "I was thinking if I did my best, good things will come. I've already won the yusho before when I was young and excited so I could concentrate on this one calmly  and I think that was the main difference. Everyone at the heya supported me all the way, and I thank them for that."

Asanoyama, ending with the jun-yusho and 12 wins in his Ozeki debut: "These last two days I've been doing impatient sumo, so I decided to do Ozeki sumo all the way today. My losses were really regretful . Looking back, I really wanted that yusho. I was overthinking my responsibility as an Ozeki.. I felt I was weak. In the future, I'd like to absolutely dispel any regrets!"

Mitakeumi, unable to beat Terunofuji on senshuraku: "I wanted to win and laugh in the end, but it's not a fairy tale world.. I'll regroup and face the next basho. I managed to keep my strength for the 15 days. There was some anxiety, but I was able to do my own sumo and that is good. Ozeki promotion? At my own pace.."

Shoudai, losing on the final day: "I think I showed power in my bouts. My body was moving well the whole basho and my reactions were good, but it wasn't enough. That is the issue I need to tackle. I don't want to destroy the wave I'm riding. If I can better my tachiai the percentage of my wins will rise. This basho has boosted my confidence. I will gambarize to reach Ozeki!"

Daieishou, 11 wins and his second shukun-sho, first kachikoshi at sanyaku : " I was able to attack doing my own sumo. We were on hiatus for four months but I was able to think of attacking and train accordingly. I just want to continue with these kind of results in the future.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 6

Analogies

Last January, I compared Tokushoryu’s yusho to Leicester City’s 2015-16 winning season

And now, with Terunofuji’s yusho and back stories (and according to this chart), I think the football analogy is Glasgow Rangers fall from SPL and rise again to SPL

Fallen from SPL due to administration to Scottish lowest professional football league in 2012, the rise back to SPL in 2016 and never fall lower than 3rd place in league since then.

I do hope Shunba and Terunofuji can have a drink together tonight. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Taigiin khuu said:

I do hope Shunba and Terunofuji can have a drink together tonight. 

I hope not today, or Abi-like scandal will happen (Laughing...)

Terunofuji-Teruya-Shunba together

Edited by code_number3

7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:
9 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Was Ikioi's win today enough to save him?

No way. 

Steak?

9 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

The fans were just instructed to "sing the National Anthem with their hearts, not their mouth" as a conronavirus measure. 

As I recall, there was no live band to play the anthem in March (i.e., Osaka), and that seems to have been the case again in August (i.e., the July Tournament).  This time around the recording of the anthem included the lyrics being sung, presumably so that no one would feel obliged to fill in the words...

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

There's a sandanme playoff, so he'll have a breather.

That Sandanme playoff was worthy of note.  

Taiho's grandson, the second of three to join oozumo, finished the tournament with a perfect record (7-0) and had a shot at the yusho.  But sadly, 18 y.o. Mudoho (the same "ho" as Taiho's and Hakuho's) didn't live up to expectations, and lost to 22y.o. Fukai.

His brother, Naya, managed a 4-3 KK in the Makushita Division.  Not sure, however, if that will be enough to finally bump him up to the Sekitori ranks from Ms5e.  Somehow I doubt it.

Edited by Amamaniac

Posted (edited)

Okay, I know that a lot has already been said about Terunofuji but I want add my two yen. The forum members used to 'adopt' rikishi and give updates on their adoptees after every tournament. I have been following Terunofuji since he first entered sumo so I guess I sort of unofficially adopted him. I was very happy when he made Ozeki and very frustrated when he got injured and refused to withdraw from tournaments. Finally, he took some time off. Terunofuji looked horrible when he first returned but he was far enough down the banzuke that the competition was much weaker. I honestly believe that he would have already been promoted to a yokozuna if not for those injuries. The video below is the initial (as far as I know) knee injury from day 13 September 2015. He reaggravated the knee injury in 2017 during the Natsu basho. If you look in the sumodb you can see his record was all downhill after that tournament. After sitting out four tournaments and starting in Jonidan, he has finally made it back to the top. (Firstprize...)

Edited by Kishinoyama
Stupid autocorrect....
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

AND it's a three-way between all heya-mates!

When's the last time this happened?!

Tatsunami oyakata better place some orders for sashimi...

July of last year.  Jonokuchi three-way playoff among Motobayashi (now Oshoryu), Sakurai, and Marusho of Narutobeya.

21 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Trust me, if you saw him, you would remember him. He's 6' 7" and (as we say in my little corner of the English-speaking world) built like a brick sh*thouse.

Can't find a picture of the kid, but I did notice that he's not Mongolian. The official Grand Sumo web site lists him as from Hokkaido. The only list I see of Miyagino personnel is this, but I thin it's a little old as Miyagino only has one gyoji at the moment, or so I thought:

http://heyaaz.nagioff.com/2020/Heya/Miyagino.html

• Thanks 1

I didn't see the family resemblance between Hoshoryu and his uncle when he started in 2017, but putting on some weight (and aging from 18 to 21) has made a difference.

• Like 2

OK, maybe a dumb question: Why was there no playoff for the Makushita yuso? It looks like Ura and Suzuki were tied at 6-1, but on scanning the final scors maybe I missed someone who was 7-0?

1 minute ago, Kaminariyuki said:

OK, maybe a dumb question: Why was there no playoff for the Makushita yuso? It looks like Ura and Suzuki were tied at 6-1, but on scanning the final scors maybe I missed someone who was 7-0?

Chiyonokuni

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Washuyama said:

I remember that vividly.  My 1st ever trip to the KK was on nakabi (the only day Kaiketsu lost that basho.)

but back then, the first K in KK  would have been Kuramae. :-P