Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

Kyokutaisei and Mitoryu both lose, but Kyokutaisei recovers and wins the five-way playoff for the Juryo yusho, followed by the presentations, and then disaster: Ichinojo hurls Shohozan out of the ring and then refuses to leave.  Someone has forgotten that he might qualify (and has qualified) for the Juryo yusho playoff!  This is a problem because the Juryo scroll has already been handed to Kyokutaisei and he has left the Kokugikan already to arrive at the beya before the two tons of sushi coming via the Japanese version of GrubHub.  Several judges confer, periodically offering a solution to Ichinojo, who waits at his starting point defiantly and shakes his head at all of them, before accepting the seventh and quietly leaving.  To everyone’s surprise, there is no announcement of what the deal is.  Ninety minutes later, Mitakeumi defeats Terunofuji and Asanoyama takes four minutes of pounding from Shodai before finally taking him down angrily: mono-ii, hairpull, Shodai wins!  After a short break, they arrive for the tomoesen: Mitakeumi, Shodai, Terunofuji, and .... Ichinojo!  Ichinojo defeats Shodai and then Mitakeumi and wins, the first ever Makuuchi yusho from J5w!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

I like how Asanoyama’s basho went. I feel like he could have beaten Terunofuji in their bout, and Terutsuyoshi won by Ashitori. I think he may be the next Yokozuna or a great Ozeki, but time will tell

• Like 1

However the suspense for the final day’s bouts is killing me. I’m rooting for Terunofuji, because he has had one of the most incredible comeback stories, if not the most incredible one that sumo has ever seen. 

1 hour ago, Ichimawashi said:

Kyokutaisei and Mitoryu both lose, but Kyokutaisei recovers and wins the five-way playoff for the Juryo yusho, followed by the presentations, and then disaster: Ichinojo hurls Shohozan out of the ring and then refuses to leave.  Someone has forgotten that he might qualify (and has qualified) for the Juryo yusho playoff!  This is a problem because the Juryo scroll has already been handed to Kyokutaisei and he has left the Kokugikan already to arrive at the beya before the two tons of sushi coming via the Japanese version of GrubHub.  Several judges confer, periodically offering a solution to Ichinojo, who waits at his starting point defiantly and shakes his head at all of them, before accepting the seventh and quietly leaving.  To everyone’s surprise, there is no announcement of what the deal is.  Ninety minutes later, Mitakeumi defeats Terunofuji and Asanoyama takes four minutes of pounding from Shodai before finally taking him down angrily: mono-ii, hairpull, Shodai wins!  After a short break, they arrive for the tomoesen: Mitakeumi, Shodai, Terunofuji, and .... Ichinojo!  Ichinojo defeats Shodai and then Mitakeumi and wins, the first ever Makuuchi yusho from J5w!

Please, sir, forum etiquette demands that you post this in "Ridiculous Predictions" ... except this basho it might happen!

Out of the four in contention, I'd like to see Terunofuji get the yusho because of the unlikely comeback from the dead story.  Or, Mitakeumi b/c I was his big fan since his debut.  Or, Asanoyama because Japan deserves its own Yokozuna.  The only guy I don't like is Shodai.   Of course, this means Shodai will take the yusho for sure.  

In the past, I have predicted that Enho will never make it to a Sanyuku rank.   I still stand by it.  He seems to be settling in the middle of Makuuchi rank. 

18 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

In the past, I have predicted that Enho will never make it to a Sanyuku rank.   I still stand by it.  He seems to be settling in the middle of Makuuchi rank.  

Never easy to judge the stoic post-match face of a rikishi, but to me Enho has been looking a bit frustrated at his opponents' ability to keep him at distance. If everyone can master that, it'll be tough sledding for him.

Should Asanoyama or Terunofuji win the yusho, they would join the following wrestlers who have won 2 yusho but not made yokozuna:

- Toyokuni, Masuiyama I, Kaiketsu, Takanohana I, Kotokaze, Hokutenyu, Wakashimazu, Kotonishiki, Takanonami, Mitakeumi

Should Mitakeumi win, he would join the following wrestlers with 3 yusho but not having made yokozuna:

- Shimizugawa, Konishiki, Chiyotaikai, Tochiazuma II

However Mitakeumi would be the first wrestler to have won 3 yusho WITHOUT any prior ozeki experience

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sansho were just posted.  Lots of ones that say "conditionally" that I'll have to check twitter for the details.

Shodai: Shukun-Sho (conditionally), Kanto-Sho

Mitakeumi: Shukun-Sho, Kanto-Sho (conditioanlly)

Daieisho: Shukun-Sho (conditionally)

Terunofuji: Shukun-Sho (conditionally), Gino-Sho

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Kyokai Twitter on the sansho:

Shodai, Terunofuji, and Mitakeumi's second sansho all conditional on winning Yusho.

Daieisho's sansho conditional on him winning.

今日勝った場合 = Today win conditional situation

優勝した場合 = Yusho conditional Situation

勝 is used as a verb in the first one, pronounced "kat-" which gets transformed in this expression to "katta", while Yusho is a noun with 勝 as the second kanji pronounced "sho(u)" instead, and gets "shita" after it for the same expression.  The verb is the same as in "kachi-kochi", where the kat- base is turned into kachi by the vowel used changing the realization of the onset consonant.

Feel free to correct me on my understanding of Japanese.

Edited by Gurowake

Yes, I was hitting refresh on the results page every few minutes since the top of the hour.

5 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Everyone seems to be rooting for some combination of Teru/Mitakeumi yusho.

Am I the only one rooting for A Shodai yusho?

Nope.

• Like 1

That last yobidashi had a voice pitched a fourth lower than usual. A baritone, no doubt.

11 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

That last yobidashi had a voice pitched a fourth lower than usual. A baritone, no doubt.

And we are back to a tenor. That's better. 

Posted (edited)

Kyokutaisei loses, setting up a potentially massive yusho kettei-sen of up to 7 rikishi in Juryo!

Edited by Kaninoyama

And Kyokutaisei and Mitoryu both just lost.

Barn brawl time!

1 minute ago, Kaninoyama said:

Kyokutaisei loses, setting up a potentially massive yusho kettei-sen of up to 7 rikishi in Juryo!

Woohoo!

In - Kyokutaisei, Mitoryu, Hoshoryu, Hoshoryu

Pending - Akua, Meisei, Ichinojo

Today we could potentially have a 7-man playoff in Juryo and a 3-man playoff in Makuuchi. Surely that's never happened before?

1 minute ago, Kaninoyama said:

Today we could potentially have a 7-man playoff in Juryo and a 3-man playoff in Makuuchi. Surely that's never happened before?

No matter how many men are in the Juryo playoff, Hoshoryu has secured a spot, and Asashoryu just called and told me that his nephew will definitely win this thing!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Midorifuji with a nice win over Daiamami to secure his first kachikoshi in Juryo and add to the resurgence of Isegahama-beya. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

I can't help feeling that the schedule is a little unfair to Ichinojo. He gets much less rest than the others, if he wins against Shohozan.

Posted (edited)

Midorifuji, the paternal twin to Enho, gets his KK in juryo division.  

5 in the playoff for the juryo yusho.

Yago gets a fusen win against Asabenki (J10) and goes 3-5 (8 matches).  Hmm.  Ok.

Edited by robnplunder

Am I correct in my understanding that with a play-off this size, it goes to the first wrestler to win two consecutive matches?

If so, does this mean potentially that a wrestler could qualify for a play-off, not get to participate, and not win the yusho?