Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

2 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Shodai: something complex and fiddly like Pink Floyd or Radiohead

He's tough.  Maybe this oldie sums it up best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTY6ubgC5-c

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Mitakeumi and Shodai win their matches to force a 3-way-playoff. Shodai wins over Terunofuji, but both get flattened by Mitakeumi for the yusho. The officials - high from hand sanitizer fumes - give both the nod *BAM* 4 Ozeki next basho.

This I would actually like to see.

Mouth-watering prospects for tomorrow, who knows what is going to happen. 

But actually my gut feeling is Terunofuji will get the win vs Mitakeumi and settle it there. Asanoyama has really dropped the ball the past couple of days.

Now if there is a 3-way playoff, and if the victor of Asanoyama and Shodai has to fight the first two rounds...that means he will have had 3 consecutive bouts one after the other. That's gonna be tough.

Well, what's to say that hasn't been said? Great Day 14. Solid finish of the tourney from Mitakeumi. Was rooting for Terunofuji, but can't stand mattas...with that tachiai I'm not disappointed by his loss. Loved the leg grab by Terutsuyoshi for the kk and all the drama. Didn't even realize the situation brewing in juryo. And to think at Day 10 this looked like Hakuho would be cruising to another yusho...

Is the AbemaTV coverage still restreamed live by someone on Youtube? Looks like a finish worth staying up for today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Highway said:

But actually my gut feeling is Terunofuji will get the win vs Mitakeumi and settle it there. Asanoyama has really dropped the ball the past couple of days.

Well, it's not up to Asanoyama any more, that's for sure. It's whether Terunofuji is going to drop the ball against Mitakeumi.

1 minute ago, Highway said:

Now if there is a 3-way playoff, and if the victor of Asanoyama and Shodai has to fight the first two rounds...that means he will have had 3 consecutive bouts one after the other. That's gonna be tough.

They'll definitely have a break in between. The last time this happened in Mitakeumi's second yusho, they had a short break for both wrestlers in the shitaku-beya, before reemerging for the playoff.

2 minutes ago, Wasabeefu said:

Is the AbemaTV coverage still restreamed live by someone on Youtube? Looks like a finish worth staying up for today.

Yes. I'll say no more, to err on the safe side, since you seem to know about it already.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wasabeefu said:

3 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Yes. I'll say no more, to err on the safe side, since you seem to know about it already.

You could also view the NHK stream on twitch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I'd like to do my own brand of sumo on the last day as well and end it well."

etc., etc., etc.

I'm pitching a new Japanese monster movie; due to an accident at the Univ. of Tokyo Earthquake Research Institute, all 42 makuuchi simultaneously "do their own sumo" for one day.  What do we call it?

I'm kicking around the following titles: "Destroy All Sekitori", "Godzilla vs. Shodai", "Johnny Sumo and his Giant Yokozuna"

Any other ideas?

Just now, Benihana said:

You could also view the NHK stream on twitch.

All good suggestions, thanks!

6 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Any other ideas?

Kaiju Wall of Death?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I didn’t say it was wrong, I said I don’t admire people stating openly in interviews that they basically pulled a cheap move to help someone out. No class in that. Either take your opponent on or don’t but be magnanimous.

Hmm, so your stance is solely on your mistaken belief that the move Terutsuyoshi performed was "cheap".  I simply cannot buy into the mindset that someone who is outweighed by such an amount need throw himself into a strength contest against the larger opponent with the alternative being called "cheap".  Methinks that's a rather narrow-minded view on what is "acceptable" in a sumo contest.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sakura said:

If a playoff were to occur then they'd have to wait until after the first match of Makuuchi to hold it.

Why?

1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

In the longer term, I think that I have seen the future of sumo. It's big, ugly, mean and Mongolian and it's name is Hokuseiho.

Let's see how he does in Jonidan first...

3 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Why?

Ichinojo might be in the playoff, and he's fighting in Makuuchi.

Just now, Gurowake said:

Ok, it's possible that by then Ichinojo won't have a chance to be in it.  But he might.

Just now, Gurowake said:

Makes sense.

5 hours ago, Sue said:

This is the kind of basho that we would have if there weren't a jungyo circuit -- everyone well-rested and healthy enough to bring their very best. All of the "feast or famine" rikishi have been bringing their A game -

At first, I was thinking the same way.  When the tournament started, we had a full slate in Makuuchi, when in most previous tournaments we see one or more kyujo reports before the tournament starts.  All seemed well, and I assumed that the four months of rest did indeed allow most wrestlers to recover from the existing injuries.  

But right from day 1, we started to see wrestlers pull out due to injuries.  Frankly, for me, the most disappointing withdrawals were those of the two Yokozunas. Obviously, we can't be too critical about them, because they are 35 years old and on retirement's doorstep.  Their bodies are more beat up than most other wrestlers, because they are usually fighting and training at a higher level.  But when we only end up with 19 Top Division bouts instead of 21, I start to question just how much good the four months of downtime actually did.  

Could not the constant physical demands of the oozumo schedule actually work to keep wrestlers' bodies strong and able to cope with the demands of official tournaments?  In other words, a decline in the regular clashes in the ring may have actually made some of the wrestlers a little soft and more prone to injury.

My conclusion is: you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

• Like 1

Omg, what a win, Teru! "wait...he didnt won"! Im teeling about Tsuyoshi, not Fuji, man...Lol. Naughty boy!

Yep...i'm definitely have to wake up 4 in the morning tomorrow!

(Praying...)...playoffs...

• Like 2

When Akebono, Takanonami and Takatoriki fought it out in the playoff in March 1994, I thought it was, well not a COMMON thing, but it was the second time I experienced a three-man playoff in the less than three years I had followed sumo, so forgive me for not thinking it would be at least 26 years until the next time it happened. IF it does happen tomorrow... As I recall, there has been a few chances for it to happen in the recent years, but it has always gone elsewise. 

3 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

In the longer term, I think that I have seen the future of sumo. It's big, ugly, mean and Mongolian and it's name is Hokuseiho.

Hey, if you've seen the future of sumo, post a photo. I'm wondering if I saw him asageiko in January. We were so clueless and it was all such a surpise that I didn't know all of the rikishi, I have to admit, I only knew the makinouchi trio.

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Let's see how he does in Jonidan first...

It will be his first and only appearance in Jonidan. Mind you I have previously predicted with near 100% certainty that Ishiura would be the next yokozuna and that Chiyoshoma would make ozeki.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I have seen a lot of him as an amateur. He is big (2m!) and strong, but slow, a bit clumsy, and technically basic, with a style I find rather ugly. His potential is good but the highest level is a while off! Nice start though, going 7-0, including beating a couple of collegiate rikishi (albeit not particularly good ones) and a solid high schooler in Ofukusawa.

I am pumped for day 15! Hoping for a Terunofuji win, and if not, a Mitakeumi win.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

I'm wondering if I saw him asageiko in January.

Trust me, if you saw him, you would remember him. He's 6' 7" and (as we say in my little corner of the English-speaking world) built like a brick sh*thouse.

• Like 1

Sounds like someone who will eat Ichinojo for breakfast...

The torikumi makers have outdone themselves. Seldom have I seen a lineup like the upcoming last day of the July basho, with almost every bout a confrontation laden with suspense. Wow!

2 hours ago, Katooshu said:

I have seen a lot of him as an amateur. He is big (2m!) and strong, but slow, a bit clumsy, and technically basic, with a style I find rather ugly. His potential is good but the highest level is a while off! Nice start though, going 7-0, including beating a couple of collegiate rikishi (albeit not particularly good ones) and a solid high schooler in Ofukusawa.

I am pumped for day 15! Hoping for a Terunofuji win, and if not, a Mitakeumi win.

Everyone seems to be rooting for some combination of Teru/Mitakeumi yusho.

Am I the only one rooting for A Shodai yusho?

• Like 1