Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

2 hours ago, Sue said:

This is the kind of basho that we would have if there weren't a jungyo circuit -- everyone well-rested and healthy enough to bring their very best.

Which basho are you talking about? I see all three top-rankers on the sidelines.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Five people have been promoted to ozeki after a 8-7 in the middle of two 10+ showings, but:

- All of them were already lower sanyaku on the first basho.
- For the only relevant three, both those 10+ basho were either J or Y.

Edited by Koorifuu

46 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Watch the video-that's how it was done, I assume it's still the same..

Ah I see, so by rank it seems (lowest ranker takes the first straw). Waka (S) - Taka (O) - Akebono (Y). 

Posted (edited)

Day 14 rikishi , talking plenty:

Takayasu, needs another win for his first double-digit win basho in 7 bashos: "I was able to hit well and do the sumo I had imagined. I'd like to do my own brand of sumo on the last day as well and end it well."

Nishikigi, second straight makekoshi: "When I lose, my rhythm is off. I will gambarize to get a minimum makekoshi."

Kotoshougiku, three straight losses and now has six: "Regrettable. I can't generate any power. There are times like these as well.."

Myougiryuu, beating Kotoshouhou by hatakikomi and getting 10 wins for the first time since May 2018: "I lacked composure. My body was moving well this basho, so the two digit wins followed.."

Tochinoshin, 9th win: "I came in low,  did not pull even when I was pushed, and kept calm. I'd like to face the end a bout a day (??).."

Kotonowaka, returning to the basho after a knee injury: "My power is there - the rest is a battle with myself. I'd like to reverse my state of mind and give my all in the remaining bout."

Chiyotairyuu, four straight losses for a total of nine: "While i was pushing, my opponent got inside and I could do nothing. One bout left and a win or a loss will determine my spot on the next banzuke so I will be concentrating."

Takanoshou, kachikoshi at his highest career rank: "I'm really happy and it has boosted my confidence. I managed to change my state of mind after those three consecutive losses in the middle, and then the pushes I do in training materialized.."

Shoudai, beating Terunofuji and the yusho looming: "I went for an all-out attack rather than a half-hearted tachiai where I could be pushed back. That is all I was focused on. If I think of the yusho my body will become rigid so I'm placing it in a corner of my head. I just hope to be able to enjoy one more bout.."

Ounoshou, finally getting his first win of the basho: " I was finally able to do good sumo. It was really difficult.. I wasn't rotting during the losses - I never let my mood get me down, and had patience."

Daieishou, getting his 10th win at Komusubi: " This has given me confidence.  Did I expect this before the basho? It's not that I count the wins I may get before a basho but I always go out there aiming for the yusho. Ozeki candidate? I just want to do my own brand of sumo all the way. If the process succeeds, I may be able to achieve that."

Mitakeumi, still in the race, beating Kotoekou: "I was calm at the dohyo edge. I could see my opponent well. I am concentrating only on my own sumo, regardless of the other rikishis' records. I'll be doing my own sumo, hoping I will have the last laugh!"

Terutsuyoshi, repeating the feet and creating a leg-acy, beating Asanoyama and getting his kachikoshi: "In order to win, I knew I had to get it over with quickly. I planned this yesterday with my tsukebito Makushita Nishikifuji (who will be promoted next basho to Juryo, BTW..). I was worried, but I managed to have a good tachiai. I blacked out.. I was happy. I wasn't nervous -  I knew I'd be OK if I did my own sumo.. I also knew I wanted to help my heyamate Terunofuji (who had lost already) remain alone at the top. I was thinking more about helping Terunofuji out than getting the kachikoshi. I'm happy I succeeded."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

EDIT: I realised that showing the number of sekiwakes who failed to be promoted with an intervening 8-7 would be more definitive, but it inadvertently ends up suggesting that there is ozeki hope for Shodai if he yushos tomorrow, since everyone with an 8-7 flanked by junyusho/yusho at sekiwake was promoted to ozeki.

A Yusho in general is worth a *lot*.  Any Sekiwake that Yushos that has any reasonable argument to possibly be promoted with his prior two records is probably going to be. 

Pretty much no one expected Goeido to be promoted to Ozeki until they announced before his match that if he won he would be promoted.  He had the good fortune then to be against someone in the Yusho race, which made it more compelling than most final matches of Ozeki.  At least, I certainly was shocked when I saw the announcement in Kintamayama's video.  I probably wasn't as active in the forum then (it being the second basho that I'd watched) but I seem to recall Asashosakari having written him off after his 3rd loss meant he could no longer get 33/3.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

A Yusho in general is worth a *lot*.  Any Sekiwake that Yushos that has any reasonable argument to possibly be promoted with his prior two records is probably going to be. 

Pretty much no one expected Goeido to be promoted to Ozeki until they announced before his match that if he won he would be promoted.  He had the good fortune then to be against someone in the Yusho race, which made it more compelling than most final matches of Ozeki.

Goeido had his previous long streaks in Sekiwake, which probably helped. But I otherwise take the point regarding the yusho. So let's hope Shodai doesn't choke on this and can follow through.

More realistically, I think he will junyusho, in which case the question is much more open whether 2 Js with an intervening 8-7 is enough for promotion. That brings it much closer to Goeido's precedent, which was also two Js - but unlike Goeido, Shodai didn't start from sanyaku nor had as long a streak as Goeido had.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hakuryuho said:
2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

It won't happen, even if he gets the yusho with a 12-3.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Crazier things have happened.

It would only have been possible to happen - with yusho only- if Takakeisho had failed to keep his rank.

Edited by Akinomaki

With Ichinojo (9-5) competing in makuuchi tomorrow, how would a potential juryo playoff work if Mitoryu (10-4) and Kyokutaisei (10-4) both lose and Ichinojo wins?

Just now, Kyokufuji said:

With Ichinojo (9-5) competing in makuuchi tomorrow, how would a potential juryo playoff work if Mitoryu (10-4) and Kyokutaisei (10-4) both lose and Ichinojo wins?

Potentially 8 man playoff. Sakura has got her analysis going in the Promotion/Demotion/Yusho thread.

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

Potentially 8 man playoff. Sakura has got her analysis going in the Promotion/Demotion/Yusho thread.

Thanks. I’ll go check out that. When would the playoff occur? After the first makuuchi match? After makuuchi as a whole? But maybe before the potential makuuchi playoff?

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

If a playoff were to occur then they'd have to wait until after the first match of Makuuchi to hold it.

1 minute ago, Sakura said:

If a playoff were to occur then they'd have to wait until after the first match of Makuuchi to hold it.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Hakuho: Wolf Totem: The HU

Terunofuji: Enter Sandman

. . .

Hattorizakura: the Baby Shark song.

• Haha 1

All attention seems to be on the potential for an exciting finish to the tournament in the Top Division.  But, there is an exciting situation brewing in the Juryo Division.  Those who have seen the documentary "A Normal Life" will definitely take note.  While he doesn't have the Cinderella Story appeal of Terunofuji, he has persevered in oozumo for 13 years, and for the first time a yusho is at his doorstep, with the possibility of a ketteisen with Mitoryu.  Kyokutaisei did spend three tournaments in the Top Division, and managed a Fighting Spirit Prize.  But I am sure, that he would love having a Juryo Division championship on his CV.  Maybe we'll even see him back up in the Top Division this year.

• Like 6

If you read tachiai's blog, they made "Mock Natsu Basho"

They made Terunofuji kyujo on day 9 after 0-8, and mitakeumi yusho

What if May basho did really happen?

4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

I rate Asanoyama's chances more like Akebono's - he'll either make it quite soon, or very shortly after they both retire, considering he's proven himself capable of dominating almost the entire field.

But the problem is that he isn't looking likely to dominate the opposition in the immediate future. Mitakeumi, Shodai and Terunofuji are pretty much at the same level in terms of ability and within two years of him age-wise. This quartet are likely to spend the next two years knocking seven bells out of each other and I think that two of them will emerge from the carnage with a big, shiny rope around their bellies. Which two? I don't know, but if you pushed me up against the wall and applied pressure to my lovespuds I'd go for Mitakeumi and Asanoyama.

In the longer term, I think that I have seen the future of sumo. It's big, ugly, mean and Mongolian and it's name is Hokuseiho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, code_number3 said:

If you read tachiai's blog, they made "Mock Natsu Basho"

They made Terunofuji kyujo on day 9 after 0-8, and mitakeumi yusho

What if May basho did really happen?

Meaning what? If May did happen, Mitakeumi would probably be ozeki, Terunofuji would probably retire, but how does that change anything before us tomorrow?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I don't know, but if you pushed me up against the wall and applied pressure to my lovespuds I'd go for Mitakeumi and Asanoyama.

Not Mitakeumi! Say it isn't so!

If his talk about reaching Ozeki is anything to go by, we'll hear a lot worse and a lot more if he goes on a rope run...

Edited by Seiyashi

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Meaning what? If May did happen, Mitakeumi would probably be ozeki, Terunofuji would probably retire, but how does that change anything before us tomorrow?

Also they made Takakeisho MK, ozekiwake, then kyujo

https://tachiai.org/2020/06/07/wrapping-up-the-mock-natsu-basho/

Edited by code_number3

5 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

Also they made Takakeisho MK, ozekiwake, then kyujo

https://tachiai.org/2020/06/07/wrapping-up-the-mock-natsu-basho/

I mean, yes, that got us through the big hole that was May. And Tachiai will probably have some lighthearted post about how the mock basho held up to here. But what in particular are you asking about it here? On that result yes Mitakeumi would be Ozeki, most likely, but what has that got to do with anything at this point in time?

Just for clarity, Grand Sumo Breakdown created the results for the mock basho.

Tachiai just reported on it as if it were real.

• Thanks 1

Just now, dada78641 said:

Peach fuzz beard Terunofuji

Someone's been a naughty boy, not shaving according to NSK guidelines....

11 minutes ago, Kyokufuji said:

Just for clarity, Grand Sumo Breakdown created the results for the mock basho.

Tachiai just reported on it as if it were real.

For even further clarity, GSB created a fake basho in place of May so us international fans would have something in May. It didn't happen, NSK doesn't know about it, and it does not have any effect on banzuke rankings, ever.

For what it's worth, while I appreciated the effort, it didn't really do it for me. I like to read Tachiai's daily highlights in conjunction with SumoNatto's breakdown, so I can see what I missed during the livestreams; not having actual video to crossreference just killed the mood for me.

• Like 1

Mitakeumi and Shodai win their matches to force a 3-way-playoff. Shodai wins over Terunofuji, but both get flattened by Mitakeumi for the yusho. The officials - high from hand sanitizer fumes - give both the nod *BAM* 4 Ozeki next basho.

• Haha 4