Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

I don''t know if it was the wait or if this basho is just looking extra good. Either way, I'm eating it up. Omnomnomnomnom!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, specialweek 2 said:

Kak out? Elbow, 2 weeks recovery.

Indeed, Kakuryu went kyujo today, after his awkward loss to Endo on day 1.  More specifically, he injured a ligament in his right elbow, presumably when he fell after the failed foot sweep...  He did not appear to hold his right arm immediately after the fall, but I guess these things have a way of flaring up later.

Apparently, the special Abema TV guest commentator predicted yesterday that Hakuho will win the championship this time around.  Two straight bout wins for him, and now he doesn't have to worry about facing fellow Yokozuna, Kakuryu.  The odds have just gotten better.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Apparently, the special Abema TV guest commentator predicted yesterday that Hakuho will win the championship this time around.

Which is generally considered as the end of all hopes by Abema spectators - also by Waka himself, who hates to be forced to make this prediction that always fails.

Takayasu is going to be worn out by the time the basho is over if he doesn’t learn to finish bouts quickly. Two long ones in two days.

Both Ozeki looking good so far.

I'm loving having sumo to watch again, but that non-vocalising, socially-distanced crowd doing nothing but applauding politely kind of reminds me of 'Invasion of the Bodysnatchers' or something similar... Considering their usual disobedience (e.g. zabuton throwing), it's a little eerie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I'm loving having sumo to watch again, but that non-vocalising, socially-distanced crowd doing nothing but applauding politely kind of reminds me of 'Invasion of the Bodysnatchers' or something similar... Considering their usual disobedience (e.g. zabuton throwing), it's a little eerie.

Let's call this one the Polite Basho! 

Posted (edited)

With the social distancing in the stands (i.e., one person per masuseki box), it is easy to see who managed to obtain precious tickets for this tournament.  Three observations: (1) nary one gaijin; (2) a seemingly equal number of men and women; and (3) I spotted two fans nodding off in the front row about 2/3 of the way through Makuuchi action today (day 2)!  If I had their tickets, I certainly wouldn't be nodding off!  Don't they realise how lucky they are?!

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2

About 2000 of 2500 possible attended day 1 - the weekdays will have much less.

TV ratings were 11.8% for the last hour, 5.9% for the first two. o

One lower ranked  rikishi complained of fever, the Corona test in the hospital was negative. Even with a case of infection, the basho will go on o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Which is generally considered as the end of all hopes by Abema spectators - also by Waka himself, who hates to be forced to make this prediction that always fails.

Maybe, just maybe, he'll get this one right! (Laughing...)

Posted (edited)

Day 1 rikishi jabber:

Kotoshouhou, day 1, first Makuuchi match, a win: "I'm a bit relieved.The content was good and I hope I can continue like this.."

Kotoshougiku, his generation rikishi Toyonoshima and Tochiouzan retiring: "I'm lonely but I'll keep gambarizing. My power is my confidence and I'd like to go with that.."

Kotonowaka, beats ex-Ozeki Takayasu with a last-ditch throw: " the content wasn't that good, but I was able to hold my own. I'll do all-out sumo very day!"

Takayasu, injuring his left thigh in March and going kyujo: "I'm back where I was before the injury. I'm at the point where my ring sense is coming back gradually."

Tokushouryuu, his yusho portrait ceremony postponed due to the virus: "Nothing I can do about it.. I'm just grateful I can do sumo at all.. I'd like to battle for 15 days with gratitude.."

Shoudai, heavy rains in his hometown of Kumamoto: "We just got over the earthquake damages, and now another disaster. I feel I need to gambarize more than ever!"

Takanoshou, losing to the new Ozeki : "I wanted to get an inside grip.."

Okinoumi, attacking Hakuhou and looking in charge, but losing: "I was in a good position and it's not that I screwed it up -  I was in too much of a hurry.."

Chiyotairyuu, losing after a monoii, but because of the virus limitations, the shimpan were far apart, and their discussion could actually be heard clearly: "The place was empty so I could actually hear them talking. I heard  'Chiyotairyuu was out first ' at least three times.. I knew i had lost and told myself to look forward to tomorrow.." he said later.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Usually I detest premature predictions, but I have a hunch this *might* be Myogiryu's basho.

Now, where's my anti-jinx powder...

Posted (edited)

Jonidan 82 and  43 year old Satonofuji (24 years in sumo) beat his opponent Miyakojima by the fantastic technique Izori. 

202007200000416-w500_0.jpg

202007200000416-w500_1.jpg

202007200000416-w500_2.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

The hell? Ichinojo was infecteeeed??? 

I didn't know...

Or was Hakuyozan?

Edited by Genjurooo

18 minutes ago, Genjurooo said:

The hell? Ichinojo was infecteeeed??? 

I didn't know...

Or was Hakuyozan?

Hakuyouzan, Takadagawa beya

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

With the social distancing in the stands (i.e., one person per masuseki box), it is easy to see who managed to obtain precious tickets for this tournament.  Three observations: (1) nary one gaijin; (2) a seemingly equal number of men and women; and (3) I spotted two fans nodding off in the front row about 2/3 of the way through Makuuchi action today (day 2)!  If I had their tickets, I certainly wouldn't be nodding off!  Don't they realise how lucky they are?!

Seriously? No giajin? Maybe I'd better hop on a plane...

After today anything else but another Hakuho zensho seems ridiculous.

Too bad for Kak. But Hakuho, Asanoyama and Takakeisho all look very good, I really hope they stay healthy and battle it out for the basho. Early days but Terunofuji also is looking solid, what a comeback tale he is writing.

1 hour ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Let me know how that works out for you!  ;-)

1 hour ago, Kaminariyuki said:

But don't get caught nodding off due to jet lag!

Kaisei and Tochi...Nice yotsu bout! Better sumo today. The boys are warming up.

Hoping Hanakaze can get his first win in his 50's and may it be the start to a long successful next decade of his career!

• Like 1

Is it just me or the applause on TV (well, Natto’s summary video) sounds...fake? They always come at the correct timing and was at uniform volume. Are they doin what the football leagues are doing and inserting pre-generated crowd sounds?

Posted (edited)

Chiyonokuni hurling out Shiraishi was one of the more satisfying okuridashi's I've seen.

Edited by yohcun
Adding tweet
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3