Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

Terutsuyoshi's expression says, "no, I don't know why I'm in this match either".

• Like 1

Just now, Kashunowaka said:

Yes, I kind of dismissed it myself earlier in this thread. But you never know!

A yusho or junyusho next basho may well do it for him though, especially if he wins tomorrow. I don't think he's necessarily on his first basho of an ozeki run; he could actually be on his second.

Posted (edited)

OMG Terutsuyoshi!

He was dreadful at the beginning of this basho, and yet here he is knocking off the Ozeki to give his stablemate the clear path to victory tomorrow.

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Brilliant Terutsuyoshi. He must have heard me being snarky.

Edited by Tigerboy1966
spelling
  • Like 1

Well, ****.

Mitakeumi vs. Terunofuji on last day?

May even be a shukunsho, depending on tomorrow.

If Terunofuji beats Mitakeumi, the yusho is his.

Otherwise, it's a three-way playoff between him, Mitakeumi, and the winner of the Asanoyama - Shodai bout.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Well executed, but Terutsuyoshi is now far from my favorite rikishi, especially as he just said in his interview that he did it for Terunofuji. Not an attitude I admire.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

I was afraid of a henka, at least it was more of a submarine followed by a very exciting technique. Still disappointed by Asanoyama walking into a Tachiai the way he did, lack of experience probably. 

No tournament possible - but a possibly endless tomoesen

Just now, Eikokurai said:

Well executed, but Terutsuyoshi is now far from my favorite rikishi.

Au contraire, his stock just went up massively in my eyes for putting back a buttload of drama in the basho. Terunofuji, on the other hand, is shining a bit less for being unable to capitalise and wrap up the yusho by today.

• Like 5

Just now, Seiyashi said:

Au contraire, his stock just went up massively in my eyes for putting back a buttload of drama in the basho. Terunofuji, on the other hand, is shining a bit less for being unable to capitalise and wrap up the yusho by today.

In my eyes he just removed drama, not added it. Now Terunofuji just needs to win and the results of other bouts are irrelevant. If he and Asa were tied, then you’d have had two bouts to keep an eye on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Well executed, but Terutsuyoshi is now far from my favorite rikishi, especially as he just said in his interview that he did it for Terunofuji. Not an attitude I admire.

There's something wrong with this? I think it's the attitude ANY riskishi would have for their stablemate.

And he also said in his interview that he spent last night trying to think of how Asa would attack, and concluded his one and only chance was to go for the leg. 

He was also fighting for his own kachikoshi, so kudos to him.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

You sure called that one yesterday, Seiyashi!  Terutsuyoshi followed Harumafuji's example and handed his stablemate Terunofuji a huge gift!!!  Before the bout started, I said to myself, "I hope Terutsuyoshi doesn't go for a cheap henka."  He used the same ashitori tachiai against Kotoshoho two days earlier.  This time, he really committed to it, and it proved effective against the bigger opponent.  As an Ozeki, Asanoyama should have protected against that danger...

It seems to me that Asanoyama's heart is no longer in this tournament, ever since Hakuho pulled out.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 3

Just now, Kaninoyama said:

There's something wrong with this? I think it's the attitude ANY riskishi would have for their stablemate.

And he also said in his interview that he spent last night trying to think of how Asa would attack, and concluded his one and only chance was to go for the leg. 

He was also fighting for his own kachikoshi, so kudos to him.

I didn’t say it was wrong, I said I don’t admire people stating openly in interviews that they basically pulled a cheap move to help someone out. No class in that. Either take your opponent on or don’t but be magnanimous.

1 minute ago, Kaninoyama said:

I think it's the attitude ANY riskishi would have for their stablemate.

Not to mention Terutsuyoshi is Terunofuji's kohai by age and seniority, even if he does technically outrank him now; there's probably an unwritten consensus in Isegahama that Terunofuji is top dog. Considering also that the stable as a whole gets a lot of the benefits of a yusho, you could also see it as helping the stable get a yusho.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

You sure called that one yesterday, Seiyashi!  Terutsuyoshi followed Harumafuji's example and handed his stablemate Terunofuji a huge gift!!!  Before the bout started, I said to myself, "I hope Terutsuyoshi doesn't go for a cheap henka."  The used the same ashitori tachiai against Kotoshoho two days earlier.  This time, he really committed to it, and it proved effective against the bigger opponent.  As an Ozeki, Asanoyama should have protected against that danger...

It seems to me that Asanoyama's heart is no longer in this tournament, ever since Hakuho pulled out.

Pity the gift was bloody wasted today, but it's more difficult to say whether Mitakeumi or Shodai is the easier opponent for Terunofuji...

EDIT: Against Kotoshoho, it was a henka-not-henka (been a lot of those this tournament, apparently), but this was straight on.

Edited by Seiyashi

Posted (edited)

I'm really hoping for a 3-way-playoff tomorrow. It would be the perfect end to a great basho. 

"Hot" take: I think one of the two Sekiwake is going to win the honbasho ;-)

Edited by Hakuryuho

Given the likelihood that Terunofuji and Mitakeumi will lock horns on the final day, I'm not sure who is the actual man tipped to win.  Perhaps the underground sumo gambling rings will figure that one out.

But by today's performances, I'd say neither man looked at the top of their game, even though Mitakeumi did end up winning his bout and Terunofuji lost his bout.  Mitakeumi has been the spoiler in the second half of this tournament, while Terunofuji does have "(former) Ozeki pride" on his side.  Will today's loss weigh heavily on the Mongolian, or will the fact that his stablemate kept the yusho door open for him make his fight even harder?

1 minute ago, Hakuryuho said:

I'm really hoping for a 3-way-playoff tomorrow. It would be the perfect end to a great basho. 

"Hot" take: I think one of the two Sekiwake is going to win the honbasho ;-)

Shame on Terunofuji if that's the case then, but if the sekiwake are going to win it let it not be Mitakeumi. Let Shodai show what he can do with a yusho :-P

1 minute ago, Amamaniac said:

Given the likelihood that Terunofuji and Mitakeumi will lock horns on the final day, I'm not sure who is the actual man tipped to win.  Perhaps the underground sumo gambling rings will figure that one out.

But by today's performances, I'd say neither man looked at the top of their game, even though Mitakeumi did end up winning his bout and Terunofuji lost his bout.  Mitakeumi has been the spoiler in the second half of this tournament, while Terunofuji does have "(former) Ozeki pride" on his side.  Will today's loss weigh heavily on the Mongolian, or will the fact that his stablemate kept the yusho door open for him make his fight even harder?

Historically, Terunofuji has a 4-2 lead over Mitakeumi, winning by oshidashi, yorikiri and kimedashi, whereas Mitakeumi has had one oshidashi and one sotogake win against Terunofuji.

Given the way in which Mitakeumi has been winning his second-half bouts this tournament, I'm tipping Terunofuji to win it. I don't see Terunofuji being as vulnerable to the same sort of evasive, throw-at-bales tactics which Mitakeumi has been using to save his skin. In fact, if Terunofuji gets his kime hold off, I don't see how he's losing that one unless his knees spontaneously explode on the dohyo.

I just hope Terunofuji didn't aggravate any of his 100 injuries with that hop-skip-jump he did at the end of his bout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1