Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

Posted (edited)

Without checking, I think it's semi final, final, but I'm sure others more knowledgeable (or less lazy) could confirm. 

Edited by Shatsume
Eg Seiyashi, lol.

Terunofuji is writing such a crazy story. Wow. And he looks so confident too, like it's no big deal for him. Which is not a lie, he has always been a top talent. Very happy and excited for him.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Highway said:

Terunofuji is writing such a crazy story. Wow. And he looks so confident too, like it's no big deal for him. Which is not a lie, he has always been a top talent. Very happy and excited for him.

What's more, he's looking way better now than in his first Makunouchi appearance when he was still healthy. All these lessons in confidence he took some time to learn back then weren't for naught.

Edited by Jakusotsu

Wow! Just watched now...

Asanoyama tasted some kaiju meat!

31 minutes ago, Morning said:

Would that mean: Everyone vs Everyone or Pick Two and the Winners fight each other?

We had a 4 way play-off on juryo last November. Azumaryu, Ikioi, Kaisei and Kiribayama drew lots (or it may have been a rock, paper, scissors thing) to decide the matchups and then it was semi finals and final. If you have five men tied then you have an elimination match followed by the four-man format.  It's much more likely to happen in juryo but if only one bout had gone the other way on the last day of the January 1972 basho we would have had an 8-man tie and a mini-tournament for the big cup.

• Thanks 1

why is nearly anyone here sooooo surprised terunofuji is in the yushorace?

before he got injured he had 2 jun-yusho under his belt and after healing, he just is the ozeki, he was before the injury.....

remember we had TOKUSHUORYU getting a yusho.....why not having a former ozeki, who did not decline because of age,  take a yusho?`i did not expect him to yusho, but missing the 3 top rikishi, it is not that of a surprise most here are talking about

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Day 13 rikishi talk:

Shoudai, winning by fusensho and getting his first ever double-digit wins as a Sekiwake and facing Terunofuji tomorrow: "I hope I can do sumo I will approve of all the way. We've still got two days to go so I don't want to let my spirit wane. ISP match tomorrow? What an honor!"

Takayasu, getting his first kachikoshi in five bashos: "I'm thinking, like Karen, that I've only just begun. I will gambarize and aim higher again!"

Kotoshouhou, not being able to get that elusive kachikoshi for three straight days, winning by a slap-down: "The content was not good (in Japanese we can say ないようがないよ、but we don't..)I have been only pulling lately.. But I won and that is good. I think I was overthinking things. My urge to win was too strong. I reflected upon this and tried not to carry that feeling to the next day. From tomorrow, I'd like to do attacking sumo!"

Okinoumi, finally gets his first kachikoshi at Sanyaku.: "I am happy. Still two days to go and I will seriously aim for double digit wins. "

Mitakeumi, reaching his goal of double-digit wins, first time since Aki  last year:" I was composed.. I knew how far back I could go on the dohyo.. 2 days left (OK, OK, we heard everyone say that today.. 2 days left.. we go it..). so I want to continue without letting up."

Terunofuji, beating Asanoyama and deadpan as usual: "I can only believe in what I am doing. 2 days left ((Bombabouttobeblown...)). All I can do is gambarize." 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

Has it been mentioned that all 4 Komu-sekis have achieved kachikoshi by day 13?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick question, has anyone noticed there are 2 days left?

• Haha 3

What's with Kotoshogiku's straight-leg tachi-ai? Is it his less-taped-than-usual knees, or something else?

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Talk of Hakuho retiring comes cheap these days.  Pound for pound, Hakuho is still the most formidable wrestler on the dohyo ... as long as he is healthy.  This tournament has once again revealed that Hakuho is growing increasingly prone to injury.  His body may just be beyond the point where it can sustain the level of physical excellence to which he aspires over 15 tournament days.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/07/31/sumo/hakuho-withdraws-july-basho-leaving-yokozuna/#.XyQcIy1h2gw

The above link reveals that despite having four months to let his earlier wounds heal, Hakuho still managed to re-injure himself just four days after returning to the ring.  After that, he required pain meds in order to stay in the competition.  He did well despite that, but sooner or later he is going to realise that it just may not be worth fighting with pain, and facing the likelihood of putting in 10 strong days, only to see it all go to waste.

But perhaps pain just goes with the territory of professional sports.  But injuries have a way of catching up with even the best of the best.

[Thought I replied already; maybe didn't send?]

If Hakuho makes it to mid-2021, he'll have 100 basho as Makuuchi, 80 as Yokozuna.  Wonder if he's thinking about that?

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

If Hakuho makes it to mid-2021, he'll have 100 basho as Makuuchi, 80 as Yokozuna.  Wonder if he's thinking about that?

Both of those targets would definitely be impressive, and he could well be thinking about them.  It certainly is in line with his unconfirmed goal of winning 50 Top Division yusho!  

But, at what point will Hakuho decide that his body has reached its limit, and he can no longer reasonably hope to achieve all the goals that come to his mind. ;-)

Edited by Amamaniac

Terunofuji‘s upper body strength is absolutely incredible. In 20 and some years watching I haven‘t seen anything close. Shodai should be no match, if he manages his nimble footwork like he did against Asanoyama.

• Confused 1

What a great basho for the return of sumo. So happy for Terunofuji's win today and that strength is just WOW. Great story for a rikishi who has gone through so much health trouble in the past few years. 

2 hours ago, Gospodin said:

Terunofuji‘s upper body strength is absolutely incredible. In 20 and some years watching I haven‘t seen anything close. Shodai should be no match, if he manages his nimble footwork like he did against Asanoyama.

In that timeframe, Musashimaru and Baruto spring to mind.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gospodin said:

Baruto And Asashoryu were both extremely strong too. I'm not sure who the strongest rikishi in the 21st century has been - it would be interesting to find out what each of them could life. In any case, there is no doubt Terunofuji is very powerful. Still, he has to get ahold of the mawashi, and Takayasu did a great job of keeping him off of it.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ScreechingOwl said:

Baruto And Asashoryu were both extremely strong too. I'm not sure who the strongest rikishi in the 21st century has been - it would be interesting to find out what each of them could life. In any case, there is no doubt Terunofuji is very powerful. Still, he has to get ahold of the mawashi, and Takayasu did a great job of keeping him off of it.

Neither Baruto, Asashoryu or Musashimaru could have out-muscled him, imho. Asa in his waning years, say, 2009, would still beat the current version of Terunofuji,, due to his technical superiority, and, even then, outstanding quickness. I have to admit I am excited about his comeback, yesterday he looked like a one-man wrecking crew. Hopefully he can keep that up.

4 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Both of those targets would definitely be impressive, and he could well be thinking about them.  It certainly is in line with his unconfirmed goal of winning 50 Top Division yusho!  

But, at what point will Hakuho decide that his body has reached its limit, and he can no longer reasonably hope to achieve all the goals that come to his mind. ;-)

The great thing about both of those milestones is he doesn't have to win anything.  Heck, he doesn't even have to show up for some of them.

What happened with Onosho? Will we see him with a record of 0-15?

Just caught up on the previous two days. Great matches by Terunofuji. Big suprises with Hakuho. Still 2 days to go. What a tournament! (Clappingwildly...)

2 minutes ago, word20 said:

He'll fight Ikioi (2-11) in the second half of the Top Division bouts today.  The watch is on.

6 minutes ago, word20 said:

I seem to recall that it is customary in such situations for an opponent to give the poor sod a break. Come on Ikioi, do the decent thing.

I wasn’t able to follow the basho during my busy week days - could just look up the results and watch some highlight bouts back home after work.

Some songs came into my mind that matched with each situation,  so  – what about a Song Contest? Here’s the list:

• 1.)    Terunofuji: „Don’t stop me now (I’m having such a good time…)”

• 2.)    Teru & Asa: “Reach out for the medal yusho”

• 3.)    The Next Generation Rikishi: “Hakkiyoi…Ozumo Hakuho, Hakuho, no-more zen-sho-ho. Hai!”

• 4.)    Daieisho & Mita vs. Hak: “Oops! I did it again”

• 5.)    The Kachikoshi Band: “Oh happy day”

• 6.)    Daieisho & Takakeisho: “One for me, one for you”

• 7.)    Abi: “Ha! Ha! Said the Clown” (Manfred Mann)

• 8.)    Takakeisho vs. Enho & Mita: “All dead, all dead” (Queen)

• 9.)    …?

• 10.) …any  suggestions?

Let’s see who will sing: “The winner takes it all”?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I seem to recall that it is customary in such situations for an opponent to give the poor sod a break. Come on Ikioi, do the decent thing.

I’m not sure 2-11 Ikioi has wins spare to give away himself.

10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Has it been mentioned that all 4 Komu-sekis have achieved kachikoshi by day 13?

And that all ex-Ozeki also got their kachikoshi by day 13?

• Like 1