Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

2 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

While Mitakeumi hasn't quite proven himself on the consistency front,  I would be more than happy to see him reach the ranks of Ozeki.  If he can figure out how to fight the way he did against Hakuho on day 12 for 15 days straight, then we have a valid Ozeki candidate.

But as for his Ozeki run, I am not sure that his 10 wins at M3w in January will count towards promotion consideration, but you never know.  Generally, the Judges Committee likes to see 33+ wins in three straight Sanyaku appearances.  But I will admit there have been exceptions in the past.  In Tochinoshin's case, though, that initial M3w tournament represented him winning the championship, so that counted for more than a M3w 10.  But with the potential of some intai retirements at the top of the banzuke, who knows, they may just be desperate enough to give Mitakeumi the nod as long as he does super well in September.

Yes, and it's a big difference between say 10-5 / 12-3 / 11-4 and 10-5 / 12-3 / 13-2Y. With the first outcome I think they'd rather wait another basho, with the second one I think he would be promoted outright, with no need for desperation. :-)

30 minutes ago, Kashunowaka said:

Mitakeumi has M16 Kotoeko tomorrow and then - normally Daieisho I guess, but who knows, perhaps he gets Terunofuji?

They have to put Terunofuji against either Mitakeumi or Daieisho to test him. Mitakeumi is still in the yusho hunt, so it has to be him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every day you can watch Onosho die inside a bit more. Poor boy.

• Like 1

Can anyone add Ross Mihara’s commentary wordplay during this basho, like I quoted here (Laughing...)

• “Mas-ku seki”—when talking about 1-person masu seki, while when in normal situation it is filled with 3-4 people
  • ”Oh no! Sho”—after Onosho lose today

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

Every day you can watch Onosho die inside a bit more. Poor boy.

Three years ago he was very much hyped when achieving three consecutive double digits winnings. 

1 hour ago, code_number3 said:

Can anyone add Ross Mihara’s commentary wordplay during this basho, like I quoted here(Laughing...)

As long as he doesn't do it constantly. Such things get stale fast. Didn't he do the Oh no show one in the last few days?

3 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

Three years ago he was very much hyped when achieving three consecutive double digits winnings. 

Onosho probably may have set a record for eternity being the most popular Maegashira pick in the Bench Sumo game for most basho in a row (I've lost count after 5+). The players eventually wisened up about him, and now he was chosen by less than 10%.

4 minutes ago, Morning said:

As long as he doesn't do it constantly. Such things get stale fast. Didn't he do the Oh no show one in the last few days?

The golden one did it about 6 months ago.

1 minute ago, Asojima said:

The golden one did it about 6 months ago.

That's sufficiently long for a repeat.

I'm still sad about Hakuho, but the possibility of Terunofuji winning is also very exciting.

9 hours ago, specialweek 2 said:

Any thoughts as to why they chose this match up jumping by both M6 opponents?

You got me.  Terutsuyoshi is still looking for his KK, so he's not exactly the most formidable opponent.  One possibility is that the Judges Committee wants Asanoyama's yusho race dream to stay alive.  But the Head of that committee is Terutsuyoshi's oyakata.  I can't make any sense of why he would green light that matchup.  

While we still don't know the matchup for the final day, it looks as though they are making Terunofuji's path forward a little more challenging than Asanoyama's.  

7 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

You got me.  Terutsuyoshi is still looking for his KK, so he's not exactly the most formidable opponent.  One possibility is that the Judges Committee wants Asanoyama's yusho race dream to stay alive.  But the Head of that committee is Terutsuyoshi's oyakata.  I can't make any sense of why he would green light that matchup.  

While we still don't know the matchup for the final day, it looks as though they are making Terunofuji's path forward a little more challenging than Asanoyama's.  

So Terutsuyoshi can do for Terunofuji's second yusho what Harumafuji did for Terunofuji's first yusho, why else? (sarcasm alert: might have been a quiet ulterior motive, but I don't actually think this was a significant consideration)

Bypassing Enho makes sense since he's already MK (and nothing really more to lose), whereas Terutsuyoshi and Ryuden are still looking for KK. You could argue that gives them reasons to win, after which actually picking one of them is just a tossup.

Terunofuji's path forward must be more challenging than Asanoyama's by definition, simply because Asanoyama's run out of sanyaku opponents. You can only find opponents for Asanoyama going down the banzuke, whereas Terunofuji has got the whole sanyaku and joi to pick from. There's also the little bit of Terunofuji being an ex-ozeki; I'm not sure if that is also subconsciously influencing the shimpans' ideas of who would be a proper challenge for him (as opposed to e.g. Tokushoryu, who was a completely unknown quantity and didn't really get any sanyaku challenge of note other than Takakeisho).

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

They have to put Terunofuji against either Mitakeumi or Daieisho to test him. Mitakeumi is still in the yusho hunt, so it has to be him.

Absolutely agree.  A Mitakeumi v. Terunofuji showdown will bring the most attention on senshuraku.  

After all, Mitakeumi is the spoiler in this tournament.  He handed both one-time frontrunners, Asanoyama and Hakuho, their mawashi on day 10 and day 12 respectively!  What will he do against the (is it old new or new old?) boy in town, Terunofuji.  The suspense will be huge, and the perfect pick for the second to last bout of the tournament.  If Mitakeumi's spoiler ways continue, the title (or at least a playoff) may rest in Asanoyama's hands since he will no doubt be fighting in the musubi no ichiban.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Bypassing Enho makes sense since he's already MK (and nothing really more to lose), whereas Terutsuyoshi and Ryuden are still looking for KK. You could argue that gives them reasons to win, after which actually picking one of them is just a tossup.

It's entirely possible that they are saving Ryuden for Asanoyama's opponent on Senshuraku.  Terutsuyoshi can lose against Asanoyama tomorrow, and still have a shot at KK on day 15.  Ryuden is at 6–7 so he has to win his last two bouts in order to KK.  Beating Endo tomorrow will be no cake walk.  If he loses that bout, I don't see him giving Asanoyama much trouble on Senshuraku – but he may see the possibility of walking away from the July Tournament being able to say he defeated the Shin Ozeki on Senshuraku as a consolation prize.

Spoiler

I just had a brain flash.  "July Tournament" (shichigatsu basho) is a misnomer, since its two final days are in August!  Forgive me if someone else already mentioned that.  I am a little slow at times.

Edited by Amamaniac

1 hour ago, code_number3 said:

Can anyone add Ross Mihara’s commentary wordplay during this basho, like I quoted here (Laughing...)

• “Mas-ku seki”—when talking about 1-person masu seki, while when in normal situation it is filled with 3-4 people
  • ”Oh no! Sho”—after Onosho lose today

A lot of us have been saying "Oh no show' for a while now

• Haha 2

Just realised that Kotonowaka is returning to action tomorrow after five days of kyujo.  He doesn't have any hope of a KK, but perhaps he can limit how far down the banzuke he ends up in September.  If he can somehow win two more times, he may well remain in the Top Division.

He'll be up against a struggling Kagayaki first.  Let's hope his knee injury doesn't inhibit him too much in this last ditch effort.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kashunowaka said:

Terunofuji: can an ozeki run be started from M17? Remains to be seen.

We may find out soon. Even with his reconstructed knees and no recent experience against top level opponents Terunofuji saw of the top-ranked wrestler left in the basho fair and square. On this performance there are only two men superior to him in the sport and neither of them are likely to be around this time next year. He may be a mere shadow of the wrestler he could have been, but it's a big, big shadow.

It's also worth mentioning that he is a few days younger than Shodai and only a year older than Mitakeumi. Asanoyama is a couple of years younger but they are all pretty much the same generation.

• Like 2

Day 12 rikishi talk:

Wakatakakage, first Makuuchi kachikoshi : "Last time in Kyushu I went kyujo and I have bad memories of it. I enlarged my body and came back!" 

Myougiryuu, getting his first kachikoshi in three bashos on his Oyakata's birthday: "I was aware of his birthday as i mounted the dohyo. I concentrated and wanted to win this one consciously knowing what it meant."

Takayasu, beating Ikioi and needing another win to get his first kachikoshi in 5 bashos: "I was only thinking of grabbing his mawashi and moving steadily forward. I've been getting better and better from the middle of the basho."

Chiyotairyuu, 7th loss: "Totally sucks. I need to move forward more. I have to turn things around!"

Terutsuyoshi, beating rookie Kotoshouhuo by that clever ashitori he was aiming for: "I planned on doing that from yesterday. I thought that's how I can win, so I did it.."

Kiribayama, makekoshi at his highest career rank: " I shall return next basho and gambarize and start over again. I have to improve my tachiai and be able to do my own brand of sumo."

Okinoumi, 35 years old, one more win towards his first ever kachikoshi at sanyaku: "I want to do good sumo. My body tends to get rigid too often and that is bad so I'll be determined it doesn't happen!"

Daieishou, 2nd fusen win this basho and kachikoshi: "The timing was good.. I hope my flow doesn't get screwed by this."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

entirely possible that they are saving Ryuden for Asanoyama's opponent on Senshuraku.

Shodai is fix for Asanoyama on day 15 - he's the no.2 rikishi still remaining in the basho (did I mention, still in the yusho hunt?)

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Shodai is fix for Asanoyama on day 15 - he's the no.2 rikishi still remaining in the basho (did I mention, still in the yusho hunt)

(Thinkingindepth...)

12 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Just realised that Kotonowaka is returning to action tomorrow after five days of kyujo.  He doesn't have any hope of a KK, but perhaps he can limit how far down the banzuke he ends up in September.  If he can somehow win two more times, he may well remain in the Top Division.

He'll be up against a struggling Kagayaki first.  Let's hope his knee injury doesn't inhibit him too much in this last ditch effort.

2 wins will almost certainly save him. 1 win is a bit sketchy and may take banzuke luck, whereas losing both is practically guaranteed demotion - the last M13 to survive 11 losses was Ouchiyama in 1959.

Ryuden is an option for the day 15 opponent of Daieisho, to complete the kore yori sanyaku. But Terutsuyoshi may get another late bout honor.

Talk of Hakuho retiring comes cheap these days.  Pound for pound, Hakuho is still the most formidable wrestler on the dohyo ... as long as he is healthy.  This tournament has once again revealed that Hakuho is growing increasingly prone to injury.  His body may just be beyond the point where it can sustain the level of physical excellence to which he aspires over 15 tournament days.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/07/31/sumo/hakuho-withdraws-july-basho-leaving-yokozuna/#.XyQcIy1h2gw

The above link reveals that despite having four months to let his earlier wounds heal, Hakuho still managed to re-injure himself just four days after returning to the ring.  After that, he required pain meds in order to stay in the competition.  He did well despite that, but sooner or later he is going to realise that it just may not be worth fighting with pain, and facing the likelihood of putting in 10 strong days, only to see it all go to waste.

But perhaps pain just goes with the territory of professional sports.  But injuries have a way of catching up with even the best of the best.

• Like 2

So, if Asanoyama, Mitakeumi and Shodai win on day 14 and they do Asa vs Shodai and Mita vs Teru on day 15... 

4 way playoff anyone?? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shatsume said:

4 way playoff anyone?? 

Would that mean: Everyone vs Everyone or Pick Two and the Winners fight each other?

2 minutes ago, Morning said:

Would that mean: Everyone vs Everyone or Pick Two and the Winners fight each other?

Only the tomoesen (3-way) is "win two in a row". With 4-ways, it's an elimination format - pick two and the winners fight.

• Thanks 1