Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

19 minutes ago, sahaven111 said:

Hakuho's out.

Man, d!©k move, unless he's legit too injured to compete. What start as Asa's 'coming of age' basho has been a little soured, sadly.

That said, I still hope he gets it done and starts a tsuna run! We're bloody desperate for it.

Posted (edited)

It's a right knee meniscus injury along with patella ligament damage that will require about two weeks of treatment. 

Meh, as gingerly as he was walking after the bout, if he's injured he's injured. The basho goes on.

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Shocked at the lateness of the kyujo  announcement. Not entirely surprised, though. This certainly changes everything.

Edited by since_94

Well, this basho continues with the plot twists. From looking like he was unbeatable and going to take it home after seizing the advantage, to going home early. I wonder if in a few years we will be looking back at this basho and saying it was the turning point: birth of a new Yokozuna, two Sekiwake started their Ozeki runs, a former Ozeki returned to the top, etc. Plenty of storylines seem to be starting.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Well, this basho continues with the plot twists. From looking like he was unbeatable and going to take it home after seizing the advantage, to going home early. I wonder if in a few years we will be looking back at this basho and saying it was the turning point: birth of a new Yokozuna, two Sekiwake started their Ozeki runs, a former Ozeki returned to the top, etc. Plenty of storylines seem to be starting.

It certainly hasn't been short of the drama that keeps me, and I'm sure so many others, so captivated by ozumo.

Edited by Houmanumi
spelling

Nikkan Sports article also said he originally injured it earlier in the Basho, perhaps the match where he ran half way up the runway after he won. 

Basho has lots of interesting sub-plots. The two Ozeki's desperate to win for opposite reasons. The young guys,  Kotoshoho starting great and then fading, Wakatakakage starting poorly and then really coming on. Terunofuji coming back from Jonidan, Onosho and Yutakayama's struggles at M1 and M2. Wondering if Enho will get pancaked under the dohyo before this is over. And a lot of great wrestling. 

I am new to this, but love the history and long and deep statistical data that goes with it. I am a retired librarian and sports nut, so I have put up a blog post that follows this Basho day by day (and below, one for the March Basho. It's a primer for new fans but also might be entertaining for experienced ones. My writing is a little naive in these early (for me) days, as I don't have context yet. Still, I hope you enjoy. Any feedback would be welcome.

https://jbssumo.blogspot.com/2020/03/results-from-haru-spring-2020.html

• Like 4

If only there were a way to switch the Asanoyama - Terunofuji match to Day 15 where it belongs.  Hakuho appears to have taken out sumodb as well.

• Like 1

Real disappointing that Hakuho got injured. Hope he gets well soon, but would be surprised to see him compete at Aki honestly given the conservative approach to his health he has taken the last 2 years. 

Shame Mitakeumi lost his focus against Takakeisho or he would be one off the pace and likely to fight Terunofuji at somepoint. Taka's tachiai stalling clearly messed with Mitakeumi's timing and gave him no chance from the start, despite nearly pulling off a win at the edge.

I knew Hak would go kyujo after his second loss.   Now, Terunofuji (M17) doing a Tokushoryu isn't too far fetched, isn't it?  

Mitakeumi's chance of becoming an Ozeki?  I think he still has a chance.   

With the time zone differences and my schedule I don’t usually get to see the days matches until really late and by then it’s too late to come here and review. But the last two days I cheated and watched the matches in the app so I had time to see everyone’s comments. Here’s mine:

Impressed by Kotoshogiku, he is really hanging in there and is having a great basho for someone who looked to be on his way to retirement not that long ago.

When did Takakeisho get injured? He didn’t seem all that on this basho but I was surprised when he withdrew.

If I had posted this a couple hours earlier I would have guessed Hakuho to win the yusho. Now I’ll pick Asanoyama, he just seems like he’s more ready for it. But sumo surprises us all. 

20 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I knew Hak would go kyujo after his second loss.   Now, Terunofuji (M17) doing a Tokushoryu isn't too far fetched, isn't it?  

Mitakeumi's chance of becoming an Ozeki?  I think he still has a chance.   

He beat an ozeki and a yokozuna fair and square, this would definitely count as the beginning of a run, but surely his 10-5 last tournament at M5 wouldn't count, right?

But can he string two more together strong tournaments together? History says no, but here's hoping. I can't see him ever reaching the tippy top but with two yusho's to his name he clearly has the goods to be in upper sanyaku. 

2 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

Hakuho's out. 

Smart move. Toughing it out for the last two days is what killed the career of Kisenosato and nearly did the same for Terunofuji.

First two divisional championships decided:

Jonokuchi: Hakuseiho, 18 yrs old, Miyagino beya

Jonidan: Takeoka, 18, Oguruma

45 minutes ago, Houmanumi said:

He beat an ozeki and a yokozuna fair and square, this would definitely count as the beginning of a run, but surely his 10-5 last tournament at M5 wouldn't count, right?

But can he string two more together strong tournaments together? History says no, but here's hoping. I can't see him ever reaching the tippy top but with two yusho's to his name he clearly has the goods to be in upper sanyaku. 

His last tournament was at M3. Both Tochinoshin and Terunofuji were the last two ozeki who started a run from the maegashira ranks and only spent two tournaments in sanyaku, so it's possible that, IF he maintains his form going into Aki, he may be promoted.

It would be interesting if both he and Shodai get promoted. Double promotions seem to have died out ever since the era of Taiho.

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

His last tournament was at M3. Both Tochinoshin and Terunofuji were the last two ozeki who started a run from the maegashira ranks and only spent two tournaments in sanyaku, so it's possible that, IF he maintains his form going into Aki, he may be promoted.

It would be interesting if both he and Shodai get promoted. Double promotions seem to have died out ever since the era of Taiho.

Oh yeah I meant to double-check that ranking, whoops.

In fairness, tochi's Maegashira tourament was a 14-1 yusho, which Mitakeumi ain't getting here. 

Terunofuji went on to get a 13-2JY and 12-3Y at Sekiwake, that's Yokozuna level so Ozeki promotion goes without saying (IMO). Both different circumstances to here I reckon. That said his two yusho's could help sway the point, which is justifiable.

I guess it depends on how badly you want a new Ozeki. I agree, I don't see Mitakeumi getting this yusho, and unless he wins the next basho, the NSK has a good case to say his numbers don't meet the previous cases. But if Asanoyama gets promoted next basho taking the basho or reaching a playoff with Mitakeumi, you're short one Ozeki again, and Shodai mightn't cut it either. And knowing Mitakeumi, it's going to be forever before he gets on another Ozeki run, so they might just be a bit lenient with him. 

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

I guess it depends on how badly you want a new Ozeki. I agree, I don't see Mitakeumi getting this yusho, and unless he wins the next basho, the NSK has a good case to say his numbers don't meet the previous cases. But if Asanoyama gets promoted next basho taking the basho or reaching a playoff with Mitakeumi, you're short one Ozeki again, and Shodai mightn't cut it either. And knowing Mitakeumi, it's going to be forever before he gets on another Ozeki run, so they might just be a bit lenient with him. 

I'm out of reacts, but yes, agreed across the board.

13 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Based on the evidence of this basho, the next ozeki will be Terunofuji.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

If he can keep this form up, I would be delighted by that.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

If he is, Mitakeumi and Shodai need to be slapped awake.

"Look at him, he's made ozeki TWICE in the time you took to get back to sekiwake! And after a holiday to jonidan too!"

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Ahh, since I've come out of the Mitakeumi  closet I'm beginning to feel the love for the guy on here too. Well done people!

Anyway, with Hak out can Terunofuji go all the way? As I've said before, corny Hollywood film stuff, amazing. Asanoyama is still probably the favourite. Mita is still there waiting to pick up the scraps and he's got an out of form Kagayaki today (Mita bound to lose then!). A shout out for Kotoeko too who has been quietly having a great return to the top division.

Hoshoryu looked skillful there. Ichinojo looked like a juggernaut. That was effing crazy. I wish we got to see that version of Ichinojo more often.

Posted (edited)

And of course the juryo yusho arasoi is all messed up now, thanks to Mitoryu losing. 4 rikishi on 9-4, with Meisei potentially making it a 5th. And that's to say nothing of the entire motley crew on 8-5 chasing them.

Edited by Seiyashi