Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

Posted (edited)

Am I the only one who thinks Hakuho made an uncharacteristic error letting Mitakeumi get both hands inside? You just don't take that sort of risk with a proven giant-killer like Mitakeumi! I thought Hakuho's limping gingerly around the dohyo afterwards was ominous, too, although I'm not sure how he's injured himself from the replay. Just when I thought Takakeisho's sensible kyujo made the senshuraku match-up between Hak and Asanoyama a certainty...

Shodai's continued dominance of Enho was another match that had me wincing. Again I was thinking Enho is going to end up badly hurt.

I thought today's slugfest with Tamawashi was Terunofuji's sternest test yet; far more than the clash-of-titans yotsu battle with Tochinoshin, which was well within his comfort zone. The last couple of days are going to be very interesting with Teru in the mix, no doubt.

I am also feeling for the stalled Kotoshoho. He's going to be really good soon, but his inexperience is showing. I am also a little mystified by the ashitori call. Did Terutsuyoshi do any more than brush the leg with his hand as his aite was almost on the ground?

Mono-ii seem to be back on track, however. Good sashi-chigae call yesterday and a good tori-naoshi call today. Funny how 'good' = 'I agree'!

---

Btw, that 'Chiyonoyama precedent'. Didn't the NSK offer the promotion, but his oyakata turned it down? I really don't see that happening with Asanoyama. If he gets the yusho, he's on a tsuna run next time, simple as.

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 3

Hak looked suspiciously like a man who had just blown his back out on his walk back around the doyho and then to the back afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if he is kyujo tomorrow

6 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I thought Hakuho's limping gingerly around the dohyo afterwards was ominous, too, although I'm not sure how he's injured himself from the replay.

I feel like it's a Takayasu style limp (I only lost to you because I'm not 100% and don't you think otherwise).

I just hope he shows up tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

I wonder who Asanoyama would end up fighting on senshuraku...

Shodai, if Hakuho pulls out in time.

16 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

... pulls out in time.

There's something I haven't considered in decades!

• Haha 7

10 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Do you think people are still going to hold this against him after all this time?

No, I don't. 

I had the same thought about Hakuho. Checked his SumoDB page and it's very rare for him to go kyujo late in a tournament. He did in Hatsu 2019 because of his knee and foot, but aside from that one time, since becoming Ozeki he's never gone kyujo later than day 5. If he's injured he might just decide to keep a stiff upper lip and gambarize through it. At least, it didn't look like he was so badly hurt that he'll be totally unable to fight, or so it seemed to me anyway.

33 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Btw, that 'Chiyonoyama precedent'. Didn't the NSK offer the promotion, but his oyakata turned it down? I really don't see that happening with Asanoyama. If he gets the yusho, he's on a tsuna run next time, simple as.

Yes, that was the case!

Can't imagine it happening ever again either.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

Such a fairy tale story Terunofuji is living.

Let's hope it doesn't go to his head.  He still has three more days (bouts) to navigate.

Which story will appear on the front page of sports papers in Japan on Monday?

"Shin Ozeki wins Championship and Yokozuna Watch Begins" or

"Second Makujiri Sumo Champion in 2020: The Terunofuji Fairy Tale" 

I would embrace either outcome, but a part of me wants to see the underdog be the one to win his second Top Division championship under these circumstances.

#TERRORnofuji

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

I feel like the most utilitarian outcome is for Asanoyama to win, because the yusho actually matters for him whereas Terunofuji will definitely be <M5 at the next tournament. In fact, I'd rather Terunofuji take it a bit slower and not rush back into the pressure cooker of sanyaku immediately.

On 23/07/2020 at 09:42, hakutorizakura said:

Btw when can we talk about Shodai TNO again? (Laughing...) Looks like his tachiai has improved a bit.

On 23/07/2020 at 09:55, Churaumi said:

*looks out window, doesn't see pigs flying*

Not yet.

*looks out window, sees pigs jumping*

Still not yet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

I feel like the most utilitarian outcome is for Asanoyama to win, because the yusho actually matters for him whereas Terunofuji will definitely be <M5 at the next tournament. In fact, I'd rather Terunofuji take it a bit slower and not rush back into the pressure cooker of sanyaku immediately.

The wodge of cash you get for winning is not insubstantial....

1 minute ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

The wodge of cash you get for winning is not insubstantial....

Or the beef, mushrooms, rice, macarons, etcetc...

Levity aside, either way, one stable is getting all of that innit? So hypothetically, assuming the stables are equal, it doesn't matter which stable it goes to, but then Asanoyama can start a rope run with a yusho (junyusho-doten as well?) while Terunofuji is doing sod all with the same.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, hakutorizakura said:

How about a Shodai yusho then, that would make an entirely different headline (or pig activities) :-P:-P

The way yusho have been going the last couple of years, I'd say talk of a Shodai yusho is less premature than talk of Shodai TNO, but that could change very quickly. If he can manage a couple more wins this time and has a similar showing in September, then he'll be on the last leg of an ozeki run in November. That's how close - and far away - he is.

Where the two coincide is if he manages 12 wins this time. In that case a Shodai yusho in September would probably be Shodai confirmed TNO. A not vastly dissimilar run to Terunofuji's as it happens, though with a better start at sekiwake. I believe it's beyond his ability, but I'd happily be proven wrong.

Edited by RabidJohn

3 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

If he can manage a couple more wins this time and has a similar showing in September, then he'll be on the last leg of an ozeki run in November. That's how close - and far away - he is.

He may even be on the second leg of an ozeki run now, if he wins out and then yushos in September for 8-12-13, and the NSK don't look too askance at the marginal KK last basho. Bit of a tall order, but the stars are pretty much lining up for him:

• His opponent tomorrow, Hakuho, is injured;
  • Asanoyama looks to be on darned good form for a rope run in September, in which case the ozeki ranks are depleted again;
  • Takakeisho is at best doubtful as a competitive ozeki, and at worst a massive question mark for long-term tenability in the rank;
  • His own sumo is looking really good this tournament, easily amongst the top 5 in terms of solidity.

While main focus is our top 3 guys (and Mita, yay!), I want give my "fav points" to Kotoyuki and Myogiryu.  :-) Myogiryu started seemingly slow but then turned on the train gear and Giku had no answer. Kotoyuki was having none of it Ishiura's shenigans and still after winning was checking Ishiura was okay when coming back to dohyo. Those were some good quality sumo imo. (Dohyo-iri...)

(...and I ran out of daily likes way too soon again... :-D We'd really need more of them, at least during ongoing basho...   Please...? (Beinghypocrite...) )

• Like 1

I'm not forgetting Mitakeumi - like anyone really could after today's bout! He's also 9-3 atm, and he was 10-5 last time, so he's closer than Shodai. He's one of the major obstacles in Shodai's way, too. (I might say it's his turn for the win in his h2h with Shodai next time - but that would imply the existence of something I refuse to believe.)

On 25/07/2020 at 23:48, Eikokurai said:

Sometimes to set an example you have to make much ado about nothing. Everyone now knows the Kyokai is serious and will – you’d like to think – not test the boundaries. 

Thanks for your perspective. In my own experience, some of my harshest teachers have been those who made the most difference. I didn't usually like it at the time, but upon reflection found they were the ones that had the ability to draw out the best. It is my hope that the NSK doesn't PC its way into universal mediocracy.

• Like 1

People were talking about how those losses show how Mitakeumi is not ready for Ozeki promotion, so what his last two wins show? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I'm not forgetting Mitakeumi - like anyone really could after today's bout! He's also 9-3 atm, and he was 10-5 last time, so he's closer than Shodai. He's one of the major obstacles in Shodai's way, too. (I might say it's his turn for the win in his h2h with Shodai next time - but that would imply the existence of something I refuse to believe.)

As much as I hate to admit it, yes, Mitakeumi is also technically on the second leg of an ozeki run with right now. Ironically, the last two ozeki to be promoted without having spent all of the prior three basho in sanyaku were Terunofuji (M2e) and Tochinoshin (M3w) - Terunofuji even did it with an 8-7.

2 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

People were talking about how those losses show how Mitakeumi is not ready for Ozeki promotion, so what his last two wins show? 

I don't think Mitakeumi is making it though, because the quality of his sumo and mental game are just....... I don't know, I've to say I'm less than impressed with someone who keeps talking about ozeki and has fluffed two previous runs at it, yet clearly has flashes of brilliance when he's on form. Ozeki is more than beating people higher up on the banzuke; it's about consistency over a sustained period of time, and Mitakeumi is arguably less consistent than Shodai. Besides, beating Hakuho by a slip to the side at the tawara is very different from losing to Kakuryu in a photo finish double throw.

17 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Hakuho gone kyujo?

Not yet, although Hochi quotes Miyagino as saying he will if the right knee pain doesn't subside by tomorrow.

Edited by Seiyashi

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

Not yet, although Hochi quotes Miyagino as saying he will if the right knee pain doesn't subside by tomorrow.

Yeah, just seen that. Caught a glimpse of a headline and thought he’d already decided. Thanks.