Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

26 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Takakeisho not challenging for the yusho? By my count he's just two wins behind the leaders which he still has to meet.

Of course he may just hand in his kyujo by tomorrow...

Nah. He’s mathematically in it only. You can tell from a rikishi’s body language if he sees himself in the race and Takakeisho hasn’t shown the fire and/or edge you expect to see in someone in the hunt. He’s barely looked interested in some of his bouts.

Too bad the karaoke bars are off limits. Takakeisho should go there and act like Jim Morrison.

• Like 1

I'm breathing a massive sigh of relief for takakeisho, even though it was the sloppiest KK ever, and got some very lucky rulings. (NSK was probably in panic mode to prevent losing sanayaku, so I can see how they may be a bit generous (Beingninja...))

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

In preference to Hakuho v Takakeisho on day 15? But if Terunofuji needs to be brought up to fight either Hakuho or Asanoyama, it feels like Takakeisho will be the one to make way, since there's the least riding on the results of his remaining bouts.

Yes--but they will break the Sekiwake v. Ozeki bouts by preference to the Ozeki v. Yokozuna bouts, especially with both Ozeki putting up respectable records. And given that, I'd expect any skipped bouts on Hakuho's side to not be forward-looking: They'd pencil in Hakuho v. Asanoyama on day fourteen and then try to figure out what to do about Terunofuji.  The idea of just delaying Asanoyama's bout against Hakuho to day 15 isn't really the sort of thing that the torikumi committee does.  

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

But I am not so sure about Terunofuji being fed to Asanoyama on Day 15.  If past precedence is any indicator, when a lower ranking Maegashira wrestler is in the yusho race, he is given a greater challenge around Day 14, just to check his strength.

Oh, yes.  Very much so.  "Much more likely" doesn't mean "likely".  I'd only expect Asa vs. Teru on day 15 after some harder bouts earlier on--potentially including Takakeisho or Sekiwake East Shodai on day 14.  My pencilled-in schedule for Day 13 includes Sekiwake West Mitakeumi v. Terunofuji on Day 13, but they may choose someone a bit farther down.  Mitakeumi's a bit lacking in reasonable opponents, though.  

23 minutes ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

Oh, yes.  Very much so.  "Much more likely" doesn't mean "likely".  I'd only expect Asa vs. Teru on day 15 after some harder bouts earlier on--potentially including Takakeisho or Sekiwake East Shodai on day 14.  My pencilled-in schedule for Day 13 includes Sekiwake West Mitakeumi v. Terunofuji on Day 13, but they may choose someone a bit farther down.  Mitakeumi's a bit lacking in reasonable opponents, though.  

I like the way you are thinking about a Day 13 Mitakeumi v. Terunofuji matchup.  That would definitely be a bout that I'd like to see in this tournament.  

Tomorrow, Terunofuji is slated to go up against Iron Man Tamawashi.  If he wins that bout, he will definitely be in line for an even greater challenge for Day 13 (do I hear Mitakeumi?).  I wonder what the Judges Committee will decide to do (torikumi-wise) since they have to make a choice before Terunofuji and Tamawashi fight.

My memory is rubbish these days, but I'm sure there are relatively recent examples of unexpected torukumi that appear to be reacting to the yusho race rather than tradition. I wouldn't be at all surprised at Terunofuji replacing Takakeisho in the last couple of days - contingent on the comeback kid still being in contention, of course. I also expect him to face a sekiwake first. Nor would I be surprised to see Hak-Asa as the misubi-no-ichiban on senshuraku if it's going to be the decisive bout.

---

Is Daieisho turning into this era's Akinoshima? So Hakuho slipped - so what? There's been a lot of it about (which makes me wonder if it's a seasonal thing and not the Nagoya soil after all...). Daieisho is dangerous and quick to exploit openings. Props to him.

Gotta love that special smile Hakuho shows after a loss/near-loss. I thought he's done for when Daiesho got behind him, but still he managed to turn around. We won't be seeing that smile for much longer time in the future, I guess. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Djihi said:

About that "documentary"

>Hakuho

>modesty

ahahahaha

I'd say that if those high behavioral standards were still taken into such high consideration in modern times before promoting to yokozuna, few would have been promoted past 1800-something. They still are taken into some consideration, but only when there is something serious. Asashoryu was always a punk, yet he became yokozuna. He never would have been if the "exemplary character" was observed before decision to promote. The fact is that sumo needs yokozuna to keep up the interest of the audience. Imagine if you had years or even decades without a single yokozuna. Or if you had very good wrestlers that no matter how many consecutive yusho they had they wouldn't have been promoted because of flawed character. I like that NSK still does some attempts (meek in my opinion) to weed out garbage throughout the ranks so that not any scumbag gets on top. Many say "nooo, the evil tyrannical NSK stands in the way of excellence". I say it doesn't do enough. Sumo still has rules and if exemplary character is one of those rules, then it should be observed. Some people would want to get rid of it entirely. "If some yokozuna behaves like a scumbag, let him, he is yokozuna afterall, he earned it", they'd say. At this point why call the title "Yokozuna" and not "Scumbag" instead?  

Also why do all these martial arts "documentaries" feel the need to impress and always try to exaggerate or romanticize things making the whole feel disingenuous? 

1 hour ago, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

I'm breathing a massive sigh of relief for takakeisho, even though it was the sloppiest KK ever, and got some very lucky rulings. (NSK was probably in panic mode to prevent losing sanayaku, so I can see how they may be a bit generous (Beingninja...))

I'd given them both a loss if I was absolute ruler of Sumo. And that for bad sumo. Mitakeumi tries a half-assed pull, Takakeisho falls. Lame.

But since Mitakeumi was already out of the ring completely (even if still in the air) by the time Takakeisho touched with his arm, I'd say the ruling wasn't really bad. Still a torinaoshi would have been much better and I bet Mitakeumi would have won instead. 

Edited by Genjurooo

Wow, Hak's loss makes things interesting now. I was just thinking, if Terunofuji  goes on to win this (which I don't think he will btw), it would be like a corny Hollywood film, hero gets to the top, falls then fights his way back up etc. Mmmm, casting for an actor to play Terunofuji  might be a bit of a problem though!

• Thanks 1

He can play himself - like Wakanohana (I) did back in the day!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

He can play himself - like Wakanohana (I) did back in the day!

Too easy! What about a non ex-rikishi actor? Perhaps it will have to be CGI to capture the full and massive Mongolian glory that is Terunofuji. Either that or Tom Cruise ... :)

1 minute ago, Karasukurai said:

Too easy! What about a non ex-rikishi actor? Perhaps it will have to be CGI to capture the full and massive Mongolian glory that is Terunofuji. Either that or Tom Cruise ... :) 

Hiroshi Abe!

He already was in a movie with some rikishi.

• Like 2

There's only one choice: young ex-Ozeki with acting experience.  Baruto!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Morning said:

Hiroshi Abe! 

He already was in a movie with some rikishi. 

Good call, he's almost tall enough though I think the body make-up might be fun.

I don't think the Takakeisho ruling was anything unusual, as they've ruled so in similar cases for as long as I can remember. Takakeisho was the one going forward. They put a lot of emphasis on that. So, wrongly or rightly, that was par for the course. (I think shinitai is a good rule in principle, but they really need to be more consistent in its application, IMHO.)

And to think I was poking fun at Daieisho only an hour or so before his victory. Well, he had a little luck with it, but when you're facing Hakuho you take what you can get. 

Biggest surprise for me today was Enho. I was like, "Did uhh...did Enho just bulldoze him out of the ring?" Yes, he did. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

There's only one choice: young ex-Ozeki with acting experience.  Baruto! 

The cucumber was very fetching.

Who was that man doing densha-michi sumo, and what has he done with the real Enho?

Yutakayama on 1-10... You know you're having a bad tournament when you lose to Aoiyama by Yorikiri. The first Yorikiri win for Aoiyama in 20 months.  

It seems the yushorace in Juryo will be exiting aswell with one leader on 8-3 followed by seven on 7-4. I would be surprised if Mitoryu keeps his nose in front of the chasers.

Chiyonokuni now 1 win away from Juryo!

• Like 4

A few random thoughts...

I'm a bit surprised to not see (m)any comments here about the Tochinoshin-Terunofuji bout. I thought it was a great "power sumo" match, but it is still surreal to me to see these two former Ozeki so low on the banzuke. Really nice to Terunofuji battle back. Also impressive is to see Kotoshogiku getting the kk. Say what you will about him, while Tochinoshin and Takayasu look like they are just hanging on to a downward slide based on their old size/strength-based tactics, my respect is up for Kotoshogiku seeming to reinvent himself. I can't remember the last time I saw him try to hump his opponent out of the ring, and he is somehow succeeding with a new straight-legged non-tachiai stance.

And today's questionable match included, Mitakeumi has looked a lot more like an Ozeki this basho than Takakeisho.

• Like 6

The basho becomes interesting, only after Hakuho loses ......

Is a three-way playoff possible? Haven't seen it in makuuch for a very long time. Seems the last one was Akebono against the Hanada brothers.

3 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

Is a three-way playoff possible?

It would probably take another uncharacteristic lapse from all three of them for it to happen. Hakuho v Asanoyama is still in play, so the winner of that match must lose to someone else, and Terunofuji must also drop one more match (ideally to one of the two of them; he needs to win out to reach sanyaku opponents) to create a three-way 13-2 on senshuraku. 

Fine effort by Takayasu today. Now he only needs to stop looking so downcast all the time!

4 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Fine effort by Takayasu today. Now he only needs to stop looking so downcast all the time!

How would you look if you had told your fiancée that you wouldn't marry her until you'd won a Makuuchi yusho and ... YOU were fallen Ozeki Takayasu.  I bet it would be pretty downcast. ;-)

Just joking.  He's always looked downcast.

• Like 1