Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

Shibatayama confirmed that like after the Haru basho, there will be no yusho parade. There also will be no YDC meeting. The riji-kai on the 6th will decide on Abi.

The plan is that all heya have to self restrain the invitation of supporters and externals to the senshuraku parties.

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLSSXK30439_Z20C20A7000000/

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Morning said:

Is he eligible as a former Ozeki? He kinda proved already that he has what it takes. I thought the special prizes were for unproven people showing exceptional effort.

An Ozeki is only ineligible when he is an Ozeki. Once he’s back in the hiramaku he is eligible again. We don’t really have a precedent of an Ozeki coming back up like this though.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

An Ozeki is only ineligible when he is an Ozeki. Once he’s back in the hiramaku he is eligible again. We don’t really have a precedent of an Ozeki coming back up like this though.

I see.

Thank you for the answer

The biggest shocker so far ... Yutakayama and Onosho are combined 1-21.

That's beyond ring rust already - Yutakayama at least has the overt excuse of the shoulder, but if Onosho can't even beat him with a taped-up shoulder, something else is seriously wrong.

11 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

The biggest shocker so far ... Yutakayama and Onosho are combined 1-21.

Yep. I think their losses today have probably ended their yusho chances. 

• Haha 5

Takakeisho gets another free one.  There wasn't even a monoii.  

• Sad 1

Daieisho! 

Mitakeumi tried to ruin the basho, but Daieisho was having none of it.

9 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Doubt it. The usual thing about senior rank privilege. A Yokozuna doesn’t have to give the junior guy chasing him a chance to catch up by beating him.

And suddenly Hakuho v Terunofuji might well be a thing, unless Hakuho needs to lose 1 more first to force that matchup.

At least Hakuho v Asanoyama on Day 15 is back in with high stakes, if no one else decides to play spoiler again (cough cough Mitakeumi).

Takakeisho was lucky that Mitakeumi was so nice to pull immediately - Mitakeumi was likely afraid that otherwise he would injure him again as often in the past.

13 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Takakeisho gets another free one.  There wasn't even a monoii.  

Takakeisho touched down first, but as the one going forward and the other in the air, he usually gets the win without further check - thus the gyoji can rule shinitai as well.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Takakeisho bekommt noch einen gratis. Es gab nicht einmal ein Monoii.  

Takakeisho was the attacker and Mitakeumi was already (in the air) but 20 cm outside the ring when the Ôzeki's hand touched the ground. Decision justifiable.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

What you say is absolutely right, but I am curious if there has ever been a case of a "fallen" Ozeki being awarded a Sansho Special Prize... (Idunno...)

2 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:
42 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

What you say is absolutely right, but I am curious if there has ever been a case of a "fallen" Ozeki being awarded a Sansho Special Prize... 

Just look at Miyabiyama.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Just look at Miyabiyama.

Makes sense since Miyabiyama had a long stint in the Top Division after losing his Ozeki status.  Both times he won Special Prizes in that post-Ozeki period came with runner-up finishes (12 or more wins).  He had an 11-4 record at M6w, but no Special Prize then.

My take away: Terunofuji needs 12 wins and/or a junyusho or – better yet – a yusho victory in order to nab one or more Special Prizes in this tournament.  At this point in time, that looks to be a definite possibility...

Edited by Amamaniac

10 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

What you say is absolutely right, but I am curious if there has ever been a case of a "fallen" Ozeki being awarded a Sansho Special Prize... (Idunno...)

Then again no one - never mind a former Ozeki - has fallen as far as Terunofuji and gotten back up to makuuchi. So it's a little different from Miyabiyama, Tochinoshin, and Kotoshogiku's cases in that they all stuck around (or are sticking around) in makuuchi long enough immediately after their fall. 

The relevant question would probably be how he's characterised. I felt at first too that his former Ozeki status counts against him, but you could also flip it on its head and say that his journey back to makuuchi from the lowest ever rank is the supreme example of fighting spirit, especially given his current scores. Besides, the kanto-sho can be awarded to makuuchi re-entrants with good performances, not just makuuchi debutants (see e.g. both Kiribayama and Tokushoryu in Hatsu 2020), so precedent is in his favour. So I guess if he clocks 11 or 12 he's a decent lock for the kanto-sho, especially since he's the only one in that area of the banzuke with a double digit score at this point.

As for the other two, I don't think he's getting the gino-sho (but I have no idea how they pick for that one), and shukun-sho depends on the torikumi for the next few days and his performance against Asanoyama and Hakuho. Hell, he might even guarantee himself the shukun-sho if he wins the yusho or jun-yusho outright, although at this point Daieisho looks far more likely to get it, especially if he derails and falls off the pace.

• Like 2

Wow. Before this basho started, you couldn't have asked for a more dramatic trio of leaders.

• Like 2

Seems like everyone went into shock when Daieisho handed Hakuho a huge upset, something akin to Asanoyama's upset loss the previous day.

But unlike Mitakeumi's skilful uwatenage technical victory against Asanoyama on day 10, I'd have to say that Hakuho handed Daieisho the loss – no disrespect to Daieisho who showed remarkable reactive sumo and did virtually everything right.  It was just that Hakuho looked a little sloppy, slipping twice, and not getting a right outside grip at the critical moment.  He has looked similarly sloppy in previous tournaments this year.  I think he loses his laser focus or simply doesn't take his opponents seriously enough.  But who am I to criticise?

This loss makes the tournament exponentially more interesting at this point in the tournament.  Love it!

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

At least Hakuho v Asanoyama on Day 15 is back in with high stakes, if no one else decides to play spoiler again (cough cough Mitakeumi).

I'd be quite surprised to see HvA on day 15.   The end of the basho for the top four is very formulaic, and that would involve skipping the HvA bout that's scheduled for day 14 and then having it on the last day.  Much more likely is Asanoyama v. Terunofuji on Day 15 if it's still relevant.

I hope Hakuho doesn't pull another 3 losses in a row and then withdraw on day 14.

The question now is the remaining opponents for Shodai, Asanoyama, Takakeisho and Hakuho, if Terunofuji continues to keep pace. Because none of the remaining sanyaku face each other tomorrow, one of those intra-sanyaku bouts may need to be forfeited to slot in Terunofuji. My guess is Takakeisho will be taken out of his bouts against Asanoyama and Hakuho, since there's nothing on the line for him any more - he's cleared kadoban and definitely isn't challenging for the yusho, whereas Shodai still has the potential to start an ozeki run. 

7 minutes ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

I'd be quite surprised to see HvA on day 15.   The end of the basho for the top four is very formulaic, and that would involve skipping the HvA bout that's scheduled for day 14 and then having it on the last day.  Much more likely is Asanoyama v. Terunofuji on Day 15 if it's still relevant.

In preference to Hakuho v Takakeisho on day 15? But if Terunofuji needs to be brought up to fight either Hakuho or Asanoyama, it feels like Takakeisho will be the one to make way, since there's the least riding on the results of his remaining bouts.

3 minutes ago, Ryoshishokunin said:
43 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

You are most likely right about the Hakuho v Asanoyama matchup not coming on senshuraku.

But I am not so sure about Terunofuji being fed to Asanoyama on Day 15.  If past precedence is any indicator, when a lower ranking Maegashira wrestler is in the yusho race, he is given a greater challenge around Day 14, just to check his strength.

Back in May 2012, M7w Kyokutenho was feed to an Ozeki on Day 14 (i.e., before the final day).  And after overcoming that challenge, he was not given another Ozeki to fight on the final day (a Sekiwake had to suffice).

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=41&b=201205

It's still early, but I would be impressed if we see Terunofuji in the Koreyori Sanyaku bow-string bout on Day 15.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

My guess is Takakeisho will be taken out of his bouts against Asanoyama and Hakuho, since there's nothing on the line for him any more - he's cleared kadoban and definitely isn't challenging for the yusho, whereas Shodai still has the potential to start an ozeki run. 

Takakeisho not challenging for the yusho? By my count he's just two wins behind the leaders which he still has to meet.

Of course he may just hand in his kyujo by tomorrow...

15 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Takakeisho not challenging for the yusho? By my count he's just two wins behind the leaders which he still has to meet.

Of course he may just hand in his kyujo by tomorrow...

At least for the last two years, no one who is 2 off the pace by day 12 has come in to win the yusho. I'd say with Takakeisho's current form, he's not going to make history, especially not with a trio of leaders in hot form (although this statement has an element of hat-eating about it).

EDIT: And of course the very next basho I look at "proves" me wrong - Aki 2017 had Goeido throw away a 2-win lead and lose to Harumafuji in a playoff. But I'd say there's a huge difference between Goeido and H/A (if not T), and Harumafuji and Takakeisho.

Edited by Seiyashi