Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, dada78641 said:

In retrospect, it's great they didn't promote him to yokozuna right before his injury. Good chance he would've had to retire and gone down in history as the ultimate "yokozuna for 5 minutes".

Instead of Kisenosato, who stretched it out for 2 years?

Edited by Seiyashi

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Tagonoura says he doesn't know if it was before or during the basho:

4f8a77576dcaab98383898c15bd86c24.png

Abi was in nightclubs before AND during the basho

Since you mentioned this, I read the article... amazing that he says he doesn't remember if it was during the basho.

Isn't that a bit like saying "yeah, I might violate the curfew to go drinking, but I'm not sure if I did that this particular instance"?

Seriously though, if "I don't remember" is an acceptable answer that sends a pretty bad message to everybody else. Either you say "no I would never do that to begin with" or bust.

12 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Instead of Kisenosato, who stretched it out for 3 years?

Well, Kisenosato at least had like somewhere around a 50% win rate in the joi right after his injury. When he came back he even got 10-5.

On the other hand, Terunofuji had 2 wins and 12 losses (not counting losses by default) at the joi level and then dropped down to Juryo. I'm thinking if he'd been a yokozuna and thus unable to drop down in rank, his record would've looked MUCH worse than Kisenosato's.

I guess he eventually would've been granted an extended leave, but I think fighting his way back to the top has done him a lot of good, allowed him to get back into top level sumo more slowly. If he'd been forced to come back as yokozuna he likely would've had a much harder time.

Edited by dada78641
  • Like 2

According to the database, today was Hakuho's 1000th bout as a yokozuna

1 hour ago, dada78641 said:

By the way, that same unknown masked individual from before was back again today. (fmr. Tochiozan, Kiyomigata.)

(He got complimented on how good he looks in a suit.)

If Elvis had only retired ... (Weeping...)

58 minutes ago, Faustonowaka said:

According to the database, today was Hakuho's 1000th bout as a yokozuna

Already reported in this very same thread. Please read before you write.

By the way, what happened to the promotion/demotion threads that would usually be up by day 8? I really enjoyed reading that analysis.

2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

By the way, what happened to the promotion/demotion threads that would usually be up by day 8? I really enjoyed reading that analysis.

Unfortunately, @Asashosakari is kyujo this basho.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I was thinking of doing one in his absence. Sort of working on it now actually. It won't be as good, but I'll do my best.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, Sakura said:

I was thinking of doing one in his absence. Sort of working on it now actually. It won't be as good, but I'll do my best.

Ganbare~

Man... Beat asanoyama in this circumstances is soooo Mitakeumi...

If Asa losts one more and Teru keeps wining...Any chances of he gets a shot against Hak on senshurako? I guess not but...How cool it would be that bout?

2 hours ago, Jabbamaru said:

Man... Beat asanoyama in this circumstances is soooo Mitakeumi...

If Asa losts one more and Teru keeps wining...Any chances of he gets a shot against Hak on senshurako? I guess not but...How cool it would be that bout?

Doubt it. The usual thing about senior rank privilege. A Yokozuna doesn’t have to give the junior guy chasing him a chance to catch up by beating him.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Morning said:

It looked like Enho was trying to crawl through Kagayaki's legs. Was he hoping to shoulder him.

Wherein Enho discovers that diving for both of your opponent's ankles is NOT a winning sumo move.

Edited by Kaninoyama

11 hours ago, Morty said:

Another headbutt-tastic bout today between Aoiyama and Takakeisho. The latter was super punchy at the end, i thought he was going to collapse and he didn't look like he really knew where he was. Every time I see these guys whacking heads like that it makes me cringe.

Likewise here. Takakeisho was practically out on his feet. It’s been discussed elsewhere but their must be a huge concussion problem  with sumotori. No wonder their lifespans are so short. A real downside of the sport we love.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Great initial post, Seiyashi.

I tried looking for the documentary in question, but I can't seem to find it on YouTube.  It came out around the time that Kotoshogiku got promoted to Ozeki, or perhaps it was when he won his first and only Top Div yusho.  Come to think of it, I might have seen it on television way back while I was living in Tokyo.  Sorry, not much help there.  But another thing that was featured was that Kotoshogiku had begun working with a sports psychologist, and that seemed to have made a difference in terms of his success.

In my YouTube search, I found this little gem of a clip (and it will have to do for now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VIvzDKsOaQ

To my knowledge, that documentary is not available on Youtube, and I've never seen it in the past.  What I have seen, and this was maybe 4 or 5 years ago, was a video about Hakuho in which there was a segment about him being involved in the scientific study of the most effective way to achieve a powerful tachiai.  I remember seeing Hakuho hooked up to electrodes(? --- or sensors)) and launching himself as he would during a tachiai (but with no opponent).  I also remember seeing several researchers in a separate room looking at a computer monitor that showed the outline of Hakuho's body with several numbers on different parts of the screen.  I believe the screen was either green or blue.  This video was only about Hakuho so there was no mention of any other rikishi (like Kotoshogiku) being involved in the study.  And this segment I saw lasted only a few minutes so if it did come from the documentary in question, it was just a very small part of it.

The video I described above was in my Hakuho Playlist on my Youtube channel.  At one time, this Playlist had 144 Hakuho videos in it.  (I used to be a big fan lol).  Over the years, many of those videos have been deleted or made private.  Unfortunately, the video I described above is no longer in my Playlist.  I went through the Playlist carefully  just now looking for it but I was unable to find it.  I had tried finding it in the past but was unsuccessful so I think it's long gone, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

To my knowledge, that documentary is not available on Youtube, and I've never seen it in the past.  What I have seen, and this was maybe 4 or 5 years ago, was a video about Hakuho in which there was a segment about him being involved in the scientific study of the most effective way to achieve a powerful tachiai.  I remember seeing Hakuho hooked up to electrodes(? --- or sensors)) and launching himself as he would during a tachiai (but with no opponent).  I also remember seeing several researchers in a separate room looking at a computer monitor that showed the outline of Hakuho's body with several numbers on different parts of the screen.  I believe the screen was either green or blue.  This video was only about Hakuho so there was no mention of any other rikishi (like Kotoshogiku) being involved in the study.  And this segment I saw lasted only a few minutes so if it did come from the documentary in question, it was just a very small part of it.

The video I described above was in my Hakuho Playlist on my Youtube channel.  At one time, this Playlist had 144 Hakuho videos in it.  (I used to be a big fan lol).  Over the years, many of those videos have been deleted or made private.  Unfortunately, the video I described above is no longer in my Playlist.  I went through the Playlist carefully  just now looking for it but I was unable to find it.  I had tried finding it in the past but was unsuccessful so I think it's long gone, unfortunately.

Yes, I’ve seen the same video. There was a university professor at a computer and Hakuho doing tachiai at his heya.

39 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Yes, I’ve seen the same video. There was a university professor at a computer and Hakuho doing tachiai at his heya.

I wish I could find that video again but it's been years since I've seen it.

5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

A Yokozuna doesn’t have to give the junior guy chasing him a chance to catch up by beating him.

See March 2019 when Ichinojo didn't get a crack at Hakuho.

Posted (edited)

I think this is the video youre are talking about. The tachiai segment is somewhere around min 20.

Edited by Djihi
  • Like 4

That's it!!!!!  Thank you so much for finding it, Djihi!!!!  I can't "like" your post because I've used up all of my "likes" for the day.

Regarding the video, I especially remember the part where the researcher says the force is like jumping off a 3-shory building onto concrete!

• Thanks 1

So that does bear out the idea that measuring tachiai "effectiveness" is about force delivered to your opponent. In which case, I can see how older rikishi will want to mix that up for a more tactical tachiai that plays to their own strengths instead of just going for brute force, especially against younger, healthier, opponents.

As a former Ozeki, what are the prospects of Terunofuji getting a sansho for double-digits on his return to makuuchi?

47 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

As a former Ozeki, what are the prospects of Terunofuji getting a sansho for double-digits on his return to makuuchi?

High?  But I hope Terunofuji is thinking yusho ...

Zen pai for Onosho?  He does not appear to be injured.  What gives?

Is he eligible as a former Ozeki? He kinda proved already that he has what it takes. I thought the special prizes were for unproven people showing exceptional effort.

4 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

High?  But I hope Terunofuji is thinking yusho ...

Zen pai for Onosho?  He does not appear to be injured.  What gives?

I’d say it’s a certainty if he yushos or comes second. If he collapses and ends 10-5 I think it’s questionable.

Wow, a blow out win by Enho against Takanosho.  I didn't see that coming.   I just assumed Takanosho would manhandle Enho.  Bravo!