Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

Another tough mono-ii, this time overturning a much-needed win for Yutakayama.

• Sad 1

A monoii overturns Yutakayama's win over Takarafuji.  Even in the slo-mo, it was hard to tell who won.  Perhaps, re-do was a just call.

• Like 1

Mr. Consistency cools down Shodai.   Daieisho's worst record since 2018.09 is 7-8.  

• Like 1

Well, Mitakeumi just ruined the basho.

• Haha 3

Mitakeumi showed up today.  As much as I like him, he should NOT have beaten the one rikishi who will challenge Hak for the yusho.  Damm you, Mitakeumi!  (Hitthewall...)

Posted (edited)

Tokushoryu masterfully nimble today, the KK is not far for him. Who would've thought it after the march basho that he can hold his ground in the single digits of Maegashira. Really glad for him! He showed superb sumo today.

I believe that Asanoyama will just get stronger after today's loss. I don't believe this basho is already decided!

Edited by Hakuryuho

15 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Well, Mitakeumi just ruined the basho.

14 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Mitakeumi showed up today.  As much as I like him, he should NOT have beaten the one rikishi who will challenge Hak for the yusho.  Damm you, Mitakeumi!  (Hitthewall...)

I sympathise with the feelings of disappointment, and to add gasoline to the fire, Mitakeumi also spoiled Asanoyama's chances of setting a new record for most straight wins in an Ozeki debut!

But this tournament ain't over yet!  I just hope Asanoyama can rebound from that loss...!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

But this tournament ain't over yet!  I just hope Asanoyama can rebound from that loss...!

Unless Mitakeumi infected him with slumpitis. And Kagayaki hasn't been the easiest opponent for him in the past...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:
12 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Unless Mitakeumi infected him with slumpitis. And Kagayaki hasn't been the easiest opponent for him in the past...

If that happens, I will start a petition for the world's scientists to stop development of a COVID-19 vaccine, and focus on a "sumo slumpitis" vaccine!  You guys in?

• Like 1

Terunofuji yusho. It’s in the stars. Trust me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I sympathise with the feelings of disappointment, and to add gasoline to the fire, Mitakeumi also spoiled Asanoyama's chances of setting a new record for most straight wins in an Ozeki debut!

Just to complicate this theory about fusen wins disturbing a rikishi’s rhythm, here we had a bout between a guy who got a day off and another who had to fight one extra bout yesterday. Could a torinaoshi be more disruptive than a fusen?

Edited by Eikokurai

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Could a torinaoshi be more disruptive than a fusen?

The other day, Abema TV posted statistics on which wrestlers had battled the longest and the shortest thus far in the July tournament.  It was noteworthy that pre-torinashi Asanoyama was in the list of wrestlers with the longest total bout time, whereas Hakuho was in the list of those with the shortest total bout time.  That torinaoshi along with the longer bout times may well be impacting Asanoyama's stamina.  This may be a sign of inexperience with fighting at the top level(s) in oozumo tournaments (i.e., knowing how to pace oneself).

Hakuho, on the other hand, realises that he is no longer as strong as he used to be (heck, this tournament, he has appeared out of breath after performing his ring-entering ceremony!), but he is a master at pacing himself, and by getting the job done efficiently again today, he is boosting his own chances of having the energy reserves he needs to take home the Emperor's Cup ... yet again!

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

The other day, Abema TV posted statistics on which wrestlers had battled the longest and the shortest thus far in the July tournament.  It was noteworthy that pre-torinashi Asanoyama was in the list of wrestlers with the longest total bout time, whereas Hakuho was in the list of those with the shortest total bout time.  That torinaoshi along with the longer bout times may well be impacting Asanoyama's stamina.  This may be a sign of inexperience with fighting at the top level(s) in oozumo tournaments (i.e., knowing how to pace oneself).

Hakuho, on the other hand, realises that he is no longer as strong as he used to be (heck, this tournament, he has appeared out of breath after performing his ring-entering ceremony!), but he is a master at pacing himself, and by getting the job done efficiently again today, he is boosting his own chances of having the energy reserves he needs to take home the Emperor's Cup ... yet again!

Where was Takayasu? He’s had several marathon bouts of 20+ seconds.

I sure hope to see Hakuho at 50 Cups. Even better if it happened during my next visit to Japan (albeit unlikely).

On the one hand, a play off on the final day would be nice. On the other hand a zenshoyusho is also nice.

May nobody hurt themselves further and let us have a few more interesting days with the July basho.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Kotoshoho's inexperience showed again today. That was a badly chosen plan B against the gigantic Kaisei (when Kais-A has shown up). KK will have to wait at least another day. 

Maybe a henka against Kotoshogiku was far too obvious a move, but I really thought Ishiura had erred getting himself on the receiving end of the belly bump. Hard luck, Geek - your KK will have to wait too.

All through the slo-mo replays I was thinking "tori-naoshi". That was a harsh decision for both Yutakayama and the gyoji.

I thought Kagayaki was a bit unlucky to only get a hatakikomi for his full-length bodily flattening of Enho. I'm sure I've seen nothing quite like that before. Deserves to be a rarer kimarite IMO. What's the Japanese for 'pancaked'?

Onosho's change of mawashi smacks of desperation to me. I thought for a moment that it was going to work, but the hapless tadpole managed to snatch defeat, etc...

What did I say about Mitakeumi not being helpless on the belt? What a fantastic rebound from 2 defeats - as soon as he got that uwate grip he went for it! Asanoyama looked gutted ringside afterwards, but I hope he realises there's no shame in losing to someone of Mitakeumi's calibre. A reality check shouldn't harm him, and at the moment he's still got the chance to force a play-off by defeating Hakuho.

Edited by RabidJohn

45 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Where was Takayasu? He’s had several marathon bouts of 20+ seconds.

If memory serves, he was at the top of the list of wrestlers with the longest total bout time in this tournament.  Maybe Akinomaki can confirm that?

Posted (edited)

It would be interesting if Onosho finishes 0-15. I don't hate the poor guy, just that I didn't see a 0-15 since forever.

17 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

What did I say about Mitakeumi not being helpless on the belt? What a fantastic rebound from 2 defeats - as soon as he got that uwate grip he went for it! Asanoyama looked gutted ringside afterwards, but I hope he realises there's no shame in losing to someone of Mitakeumi's calibre. A reality check shouldn't harm him, and at the moment he's still got the chance to force a play-off by defeating Hakuho.

I know Mitakeumi as I was cheering for him for a long time, but there Asanoyama killed himself by trying to pull him down. Mitakeumi wasn't special this one like the time when he wrecked everything, got injured, came back same basho and wrecked 2 yokozuna too. And that wasn't the only one where he was awesome. Now he is just his usual. Not bad, not top shape either.

Edited by Genjurooo

Apparently Abi is not the only notable figure outed for transgressing the Kyokai's strict (?) Corona Guidelines involving a ban on fuyuu fukyuu (unnecessary) outings.  This time the magnifying glass has been pointed at Tagonoura Oyakata (i.e., Takayasu's stablemaster), as photos of him inebriated in a restaurant surfaced on internet.  

More details to sort out for the Kyokai's PR Department!

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007280000389.html

http://mybouzu.info/news/【田子ノ浦親方】泥酔写真の店店舗はどこ場所

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Genjurooo said:

Now he is just his usual. Not bad, not top shape either.

I'm not disagreeing, but 'average' Mitakeumi is junior sanyaku level; i.e. an opponent to be respected at all times.

12 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

If memory serves, he was at the top of the list of wrestlers with the longest total bout time in this tournament.  Maybe Akinomaki can confirm that?

Must be. I checked out the times on the bout length thread and his times (today not included) are:

That minute-and-a-halfer alone was probably more than most guys have fought when their ten days are combined.

Kotoshogiku's non-knee-bending crouch: I have seen some forum members saying that he is doing so to protect his knees; well, that posture can't be doing his back any good. I cringe and wince every time I see him doing this.

18 hours ago, Akinomaki said:
On 27/07/2020 at 08:46, Akinomaki said:

When was the last hansoku loss for holding and "breaking" (over-bending) the finger(s) of the opponent?

The conference result explanation was that there was suspicion of Hakuyozan doing that to Tobizaru, as cause for the mono-ii - he didn't.

Nikkan says it is the first time ever a mono-ii was called for that

NHK talked about it on BS, showing the 8 reasons for a hansoku loss, regulated by the NSK in May 1955 - it is the 8th. Hakuyozan - as most others - didn't know what the mono-ii was called for then. There never was a case of this as hansoku, but apparently the thing itself occurred in 1928: Hitachishima in a bout against Harenoumi had something with his hand, cried out in pain and left the dohyo - there was no regulation and he simply lost the bout, but it was investigated and the gyoji and shimpan were disciplined. Likely it was in March, Hitachishima had a fusen loss the next day. That case apparently caused hansoku no. 8 to be in the list.

20200728s00005000034000p_thum.jpgo

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Genjurooo said:

It would be interesting if Onosho finishes 0-15. I don't hate the poor guy, just that I didn't see a 0-15 since forever.

At this point, Onosho is hoping to avoid registering his worst record (not counting kyujo) in his sekitori career.  In September 2018, he ended with a 4-11 record.  That means he can't afford to lose two more times in the next five days!  But clearly, this has been Onosho's worst ever start to a Top Division tournament.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=12043

Keep in mind that this is the guy who handed Hakuho one of his two losses in March!!!

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I'm not disagreeing, but 'average' Mitakeumi is junior sanyaku level; i.e. an opponent to be respected at all times.

Yeah and probably Asanoyama knew that. That's why I believe the pull was decided way before the match. I think he thought that since Mita fights mostly like him, a pull might spare him a lot of physical strain.

Otherwise if Asanoyama decided on the moment for the pull, it would diminish my respect for him...

13 minutes ago, Adil said:

Kotoshogiku's non-knee-bending crouch: I have seen some forum members saying that he is doing so to protect his knees; well, that posture can't be doing his back any good. I cringe and wince every time I see him doing this.

I remember seeing other heavier guys doing that posture in lower divisions. It indeed has bad aesthetics.

5 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Keep in mind that this is the guy who handed Hakuho one of his two losses in March!!!

And some time ago was considered Takakeisho's rival.

Edited by Genjurooo