Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

And a proper Ozeki-debut of future Yokozuna Asanoyama.

• Like 5

Endo's dodge of the legsweep was amazing. Not sure I have seen a win coming about this way... 

• Like 2

Kakuryu should study some Tokitenku tapes before he attempts his next susoharai.

• Haha 1

Kakuryu looked so sad after his loss :( But great victory for Hakuho! Beautiful katasukashi

Kakuryu looked complete rubbish. I thought he looked in poor condition in the training video I watched from his heya on YouTube also. Just past his prime. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and call this his last basho. Hope he proves me wrong. Nothing would make me happier, actually. I’m a fan.

What can i say? Not great ozumo today, but sure is great to watch some ozumo again

(SpookyTVprogram...)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jabbamaru said:

What can i say? Not great ozumo today, but sure is great to watch some ozumo again

(SpookyTVprogram...)

This. It just feels so good to have sumo in our lives again.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Kakuryu gave up a gold star to Endo on the first day of this tournament.  While it may have looked bad in terms of the Yokozuna's sumo, the way I see it is that Endo realised that his left foot was too far forward and vulnerable to a foot sweep, and he managed to pull it up and back just before Kakuryu went for the sweep.  Since Kakuryu's right foot met no resistance, he simply lost his balance and went down.  A susohari fail, no question.  But Endo won that bout with a skillful reset of his stance.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Kakuryu gave up a gold star to Endo on the first day of this tournament.

When was the last time that a yokozuna lost by koshikudake? Definitely not in the last 50 years. A yokozuna should not be getting embarrassed like that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The subdued applause of the restricted audience reminded me of what you'd hear at Wimbledon. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

When was the last time that a yokozuna lost by koshikudake? Definitely not in the last 50 years.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that this was a first.  

This was my thinking, too. Good luck finding videos of “Chiyonofuji falls down” , “Hakuho falls down” etc. because I would bet my next paycheck they don’t exist (after reaching Yokozuna rank)

6 hours ago, Gurowake said:

We also have one Kokonoe rikishi at each rank from M13 to M17

They had an 80% strike rate today. I thought Giku looked very sprightly, and I can't remember seeing him so "unbandaged". Nice debut win for Kotoshoho but not the tokoyama's finest hour: the lad's top-knot looked like it was falling off the side of his head.

Wee Enho doesn't seem to be getting much love these days.  He showed up sporting a new mawashi, but in the end, that did not propel him to a day 1 victory.  Ryuden sent him out of the ring like a rag doll.  Has feisty Enho lost his mojo?  The four-month lockdown without regular practice bouts seems to have dulled his normal speedy counterattacks.

6 hours ago, Gurowake said:

We also have one Kokonoe Sadogatake rikishi at each rank from M13 to M17 (I may have mentioned this at the end of the last basho that it was likely to happen, but that feels like years ago).

fixed

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Nice debut win for Kotoshoho but not the tokoyama's finest hour: the lad's top-knot looked like it was falling off the side of his head.

The heya is far away, has many sekitori and they only have one 4th and one 5th grade tokoyama - and the new rule is

On 13/07/2020 at 13:58, Akinomaki said:

to have the time in the shitaku-beya as short as possible, the mage making hairdo should be done in the heya

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ikioi looked way smaller, i bet his beer belly is not there anymore because quarentine.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

Ikioi looked way smaller, i bet his beer belly is not there anymore because quarentine.

On the NHK broadcast they remarked that he had lost 20 (!) kilos. 

They also said he intentionally took off the weight so that he could have better movement. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 2

Bit of a tangent here but I think they’re going to have to introduce some protocol to ask spectators in the boxes to place their shores behind the boxes. They are rather unsightly and make for some awkward camera shots when the rikishi are squatting to receive the kesho envelopes after the match (i.e. rikishi looking like he’s about to inhale a Reebok). Likewise all the soles of people’s stocking feet pointing directly toward the camera on the  side are not that photogenic. I anticipate a fix by tomorrow to preserve decorum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

When was the last time that a yokozuna lost by koshikudake? Definitely not in the last 50 years. A yokozuna should not be getting embarrassed like that.

If my sumodb search query was correct that was the first time ever a yokozuna lost by koshikudake. Poor K :-(

2 minutes ago, hakutorizakura said:

If my sumodb search query was correct that was the first time ever a yokozuna lost by koshikudake. Poor K 

Harumafuji and Wajima both fell over, but they had the good fortune to do so before they got the big rope.

What an embarrassing loss! Wish Kakuryu would just concentrate on forward moving sumo. 

Posted (edited)

Here is a crazy stat. Today, 42 year old Tenichi beat 50 year old Hanakaze in their second meeting. Their first meeting occurred... 24 years ago!    There 26 year old Hanakaze (then Tatsuyamaguchi) defeated 18 year old Tenichi. Who will win the decider in 2044?

Edited by Yokozuna Hattorizakura
I can't count
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2