Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

Posted (edited)

When was the last hansoku loss for holding and "breaking" (over-bending) the fingers of the opponent?

The conference result explanation was that there was suspicion of Hakuyozan doing that to Tobizaru, as cause for the mono-ii - he didn't.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Kachikoshi for Terunofuji in his return to Makuuchi.

He made it look easy.

Edited by Kaninoyama

Terrific match between between Kotoshogiku and Tamawashi.

And with the win, Kotoshogiku moves into 6th place for all-time Makuuchi wins. 

46 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Kachikoshi for Terunofuji in his return to Makuuchi.

He made it look easy.

He kept his yusho run going.  

A funny win by Tokushoryu against Takarafuji.   

Yutakayama wins! 

*checks torikumi*

Oh, only against Onosho.

• Haha 1

Uh oh. Mitakeumi’s week-two collapse has begun.

Tachiai saying that "... Japanese media is reporting Abi will not return to the July tournament. He is also exhibiting at least one symptom of COVID, a fever. Multiple outlets report the fever was 37.6 Celsius, 99.7 degrees F. He had gone out with another wrestler from a separate heya who was already kyujo. It has now come out that the other night was not the first “adventure” for Abi ..."  Abi seems to be a one man disaster zone of late.

https://tachiai.org/2020/07/26/abis-night-out-update/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Uh oh. Mitakeumi’s week-two collapse has begun.

Even Abi would have beaten Mitakeumi ...

Speaking of Abi, he is an idiot!   Abi damned.

Edited by robnplunder

3 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Abi damned

I’ve been patiently waiting for an opportunity to make my “Floats like a butterfly, stings like Abi” pun, but none ever comes up, so I’ll just make it here without any context and know that you will all double up with laughter regardless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

The shimpan didn't want to have another tori-naoshi so late in the day - and they didn't want to hand Takakeisho another loss, which both would have rather been appropriate - but declaring Enho as already floating was also possible, so they did that.

4 minutes ago, Apayasu said:

Looked like a (somewhat) clear Enho victory to me...

Takakeisho's foot appeared to touch out a fraction sooner but Enho had no "Tai" as he was falling out and so was deemed the loser.

I really don't like the "Dead Body Rule". I think it's kind of an "art" to be able to remain in the air and not touch the ground before the other person has left the doyho. 

I really think Enho deserved the win today, and I'm saying that as a Takakeisho supporter. At least a rematch would've been fair today in my honest opinion.

But all in all a nice day today, awesome to see a rematch with Asanoyama and Okinoumi, two great bouts in quick succession is amazing :)

Asanoyama still looks rock-solid, as does Hakuho. I would be surprised if we didn't get to witness a showdown of the two undefeated rikishi on day 14 or 15!

I'm especially delighted about Terunofuji, Kachikoshi on day 9?! Who would've thought at the beginning of the basho! Really glad for him.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hakuryuho said:

Asanoyama still looks rock-solid, as does Hakuho. I would be surprised if we didn't get to witness a showdown of the two undefeated rikishi on day 14 or 15!

I’m hoping Asanoyama and Hakuho meet in a yusho decider, the younger man wins and Hakuho immediately announces his retirement in acknowledge that his successor has finally arrived. Just as it used to be done.

• Like 1

I declare total BS on the shimpan's decisions regarding the Enhou-Takakeishou and Asanoyama-Okinoumi bouts. They got it backwards..  Akinomaki has it right-the Takakeishou scandal was due to broadcast issues. And Asanoyama won the first match clearly, unless they thought the top of his leg touched as well, but it didn't. Otherwise, no excuse. If Enhou was dead body, so was Okinoumi. Total bollocks, if I may use that term unwisely.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I’m hoping Asanoyama and Hakuho meet in a yusho decider, the younger man wins and Hakuho immediately announces his retirement in acknowledge that his successor has finally arrived. Just as it used to be done.

why he retires it is obvious he has some gas left in the tank

he has a chance for 50 yusho isnt it cool if wee see the yusho number 50

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kamizake said:

If he somehow achieves this, I think they need to call him something different than "dai-yokozuna" because that term wouldn't suffice anymore :-P:-D

7 minutes ago, kamizake said:

why he retires it is obvious he has some gas left in the tank

Because I demand it. I want to see some serious display of Yokozuna hinkaku.

• Like 1

Yes, Asanoyama won twice today. Enho was unlucky with the decision. Teronofuji looking good against the bottom end of the division and it's going to be really interesting to see what he's like against the higher ranked rikishi. Nice dance by Tokushoryu, good to see those Fred Astaire moves making an appearance. Tochi putting a couple of wins together too. Onosho out of his depth at that rank. Abi needs to take a hard look at his attitude and career, if it's true he is out for the rest of the basho then fine by me, he deserves it.

7 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

“Broadway” Abi Masatora?

Hilarious. I can´t wait watching him "guaranteeing" a yusho on social media ;-) 

58 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

....If Enhou was dead body, so was Okinoumi. Total bollocks, if I may use that term unwisely.

I agree.... I have never liked the randomness of the dead body rule. 

Enho gripped Takakeisho's mawashi and pulled him past, then had his foot still planted on the tawara after Takakeisho was airborne in an unrecoverable position. So who was really the dead body?