Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

Posted (edited)

Day 7 yammering:

Kiribayama, first time facing Hakuhou on the last bout of the day, couldn't do much: " I was really nervous.. I kept wondering how he would come at me at the tachiai.."

Rookie 20 year old Kotoshouhou, beating Shimanoumi for his 6th win: "I had a good tachiai. I planned on attacking!"

Terutsuyoshi, being pushed back by Hokutofuji yet somehow able to turn the tables with a glorious amiuchi move: "Never heard of this kimarite. I've never done this kind of sumo before."

Mitakeumi, getting a fusensho win as Abi goes kyujo for going out with friends: "I heard he wasn't in the dohyo-iri and thought that was strange. I did not know the reason.."

Shoudai, almost losing again but getting lucky again: "That was dangerous.. I managed to get my left in at the dohyo's edge so I  somehow survived. That was close. My reaction to being pushed back is not bad at all.. I hope this would lead to the next day. Ozeki promotion? I'll take it a bout at a time and if it comes, well, great.. All I'm thinking is it would be nice to be promoted.." (Gotta love the guy..)

Asanoyama, calmly winning his seventh: "If I go about it thinking that it's a bout a day, the results will follow. From the tachiai, it was my sumo. He got the first step in but my feet followed, I got a left hand in (not his favorite grip..), but regardless I was able to move forward. I'd just like to continue doing my own sumo like I did for the first seven days and concentrate on that.." (and not on the fact that if he yushos he will be the 9th new Ozeki in history to do that, after Hakuhou did that back in Natsu 2006..)

Terunofuji, sixth win: "I was going for the belt but my opponent got there before me. I hoped not to get in that position if possible , but.. well.. All I can do is give it my all.  6-1? We're still getting started here and I haven't even achieved my kachikoshi yet.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

Takarafuji on pure strength is a beast and he had no answer for Asanoyama.

I can't wait to see how Hakuho will deal with his power and balance.

My guess is he will resort to quickly move him around (spinning) with a grip on his mawashi, similar to how he handled Tochinoshin and other strong, heavy wrestlers.  

Abi was not alone. "Other Makushita and under kyujo rikishi were with him." Looking at the probabilities, either Irodori or Teraou or both or maybe Teraoushou. "They will be dealt with." We shall see.

• Thanks 1

Oh, I don't know, but it seemed like another "interesting" performance by a Takakeisho opponent today. In the words of Bob Mortimer "Oh Vic, I've fallen". Of course it's all very well for me to say that, I've never been under attack from a 26 stone expert martial artist.

4 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Kiribayama didn't look nervous so much as scared sh*tless, as we say around my neck of the woods

The technical term around here is "bricking it".

Yutakayama and Onosho really need to pull their socks up in a hurry.

What's up with YY? 0-7 feels like something beyond the usual joi hangover is going on with him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hakuryuho said:

Hakuho also making quick work of Kiribayama, but I guess it was just as much Kiribayama's nervousness (first time fighting the musubi no ichiban and a yokozuna on top) as it was Hakuho's strength and quickness. 

My guess is that maegashira meet yokozuna more often that participate in musubi no ichiban, but if they enter the last fight of the day, then it is usually with yokozuna...

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

"I was really nervous.. I kept wondering how he would come at me at the tachiai.."

The Kiribayama Quiz:

1) Have you wronged Hakuho? [No]

2) Are you sure? [Yes]

3) Really sure? [Yes]

4) Reaaaaaaally sure?  [....yes?]

Results: Congratulations! You'll probably live. And be ambulatory! Now go fight. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

...Teraou ... Teraoushou

Moti, you don't know how close you came to owing me a new keyboard!

16 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Moti, you don't know how close you came to owing me a new keyboard!

The funniest thing is, it's totally true!! These are real rikishi. Both kyujo.

Posted (edited)

Is it still kyuujou when they're not actually ill? I mean, this is a penalty imposed by Shikoroyama-oyakata, ne?

Edited by RabidJohn

On 24/07/2020 at 03:30, robnplunder said:

I am impressed with Kotoshoho.  He lost  Terunofuji today but seems to know what he is doing.   At just 20 years old and only one MK in 14 bashos, I can see him getting to Ozeki rank soon.   

So, that's what it was.  I thought I heard a baby crying and yelling.  

It may have been tokushoryu... ;-)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

Is it still kyuujou when they're not actually ill? I mean, this is a penalty imposed by Shikoroyama-oyakata, ne?

Yes, remember Asashouryuu with the mother of all kyujos? Kyujo actually means absence, not necessarily illness although that's the case usually. The big banner said so yesterday..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Teraou... Teraoushou

These two are decidedly wrong though, it's a short o for Terao.

Ah, the bait has been picked up...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Correction: the baitou hasou beenou pickedou upou. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Kotoshoho looks like sanyaku-material for sure. He seems so calm, cool and confident - amazing for such a young rikishi...

Edited by Christopher

8 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Kotoshoho looks like sanyaku-material for sure. He seems so calm, cool and confidential - amazing for such a young rikishi...

I guess the secret is out now. :)

Posted (edited)

Germans and the english language...

:-)

Thanks for your hint, Eikokurai.

Edited by Christopher
  • Like 2

Heh...heh... For  day 9, we will have Enho vs. Takakeisho.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On the NHK feed you could actually hear guest commentator Wakamatasu-oyakata chuckling off-mic when this happened

Edited by yohcun
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

It looks like Takagenji has been sleeping with his kesho mawashi.  It looked horrible on Day 8.

20 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Abi will undergo virus tests and until the answers are in he will stay kyujo. 

Test results-negative.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kamitsuumi said:

These two are decidedly wrong though, it's a short o for Terao.

Yes...I'm sorry, but sometimes I am 100% sure about something that doesn't exist. I promise to do better nest time.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Ah, the bait has been picked up...

I think it should be Teraou. Nobody else, including me, does.

• Haha 1