Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

27 minutes ago, Asojima said:

This is the standard Ozeki strategy for as long as I remember.  If you have acquired your 8th win or 8th loss and are not in the yusho race, DO NOT take any action that might cause you injury or threaten your career. No matter what happens in a subsequent match, you cannot be further promoted or demoted.

It is and they and Yokozuna are privileged among rikishi to be able to game the system this way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

If you’ve shown that you are not only healthy enough to compete but even kachikoshi at the top of the banzuke, the Kyokai should strap the mawashi on the rikishi themselves and send him back out!

They will start doing it as soon as former rikishi start to sue Kyokai for damages after retirement, just like former NFL players did for long-lasting effects of brain injuries. Until then... rikishi are adults and are responsible for their own actions, n'est-ce pas?

1 hour ago, Dapeng said:

No idea whether his knee injury is an old one or a new one. Probably an old one that gets worse day by day. No good. 

NHK has been reporting since Day 1 that he injured his other knee about a week out from this basho, and didn't take part in any keiko leading up to it.

45 minutes ago, Ruziklao said:

They will start doing it as soon as former rikishi start to sue Kyokai for damages after retirement, just like former NFL players did for long-lasting effects of brain injuries. Until then... rikishi are adults and are responsible for their own actions, n'est-ce pas?

Ironic in light of the Abi situation and the general nannying of rikishi by the sumo association. Grown adults not allowed their own Twitter accounts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

The only problem I see with that is that the torikumi for day 13 will be released well before the Tamawashi-Terunofuji bout. Unless they decide to play it like the senshuraku torikumi, time-wise.

We will see in a few minutes -  If there is no kaobure gonjo after the dohyo-iri, they wait for after the bout

5 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

We will see in a few minutes -  If there is no kaobure gonjo after the dohyo-iri, they wait for after the bout

The day 13 matches were announced on schedule.  Terunofuji/Asanoyama.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Asojima said:

With Takakeisho pulling out, it becomes an easy decision just to slot Terunofuji in instead without having to wait.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sakura said:

With Takakeisho pulling out, it becomes an easy decision just to slot Terunofuji in instead without having to wait.

With Kakuryu and Takakeisho out, that also means it'll be Hakuho and Asanoyama on Senshuraku, doesn't it?

Then they might do Hakuho/Terunofuji for day 14. Whom could they match with Asanoyama?

5 minutes ago, Morning said:

With Kakuryu and Takakeisho out, that also means it'll be Hakuho and Asanoyama on Senshuraku, doesn't it?

Then they might do Hakuho/Terunofuji for day 14. Whom could they match with Asanoyama?

Asanoyama still needs to face Shodai. 

• Thanks 1

A sound mono-ii explanation and decision, and really - Fujishima is back

Lady's and gentlemen, in today's news: a pig was seen flying, and Kotoshogiku survived a henka attempt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And that was more brawling out of the Tamawashi - Terunofuji fight than we've seen out of Shohozan all basho...

51 minutes ago, Asojima said:

Terunofuji and Tamawashi had a spirited match today.  I don't think they will drink beer together tonight.  

• Like 1

Tamawashi v Terunofuji has me smiling and laughing. "And how do YOU enjoy being slapped in the face, my good bitch?"

• Like 1

I’m wondering ... if Terunofuji wins the yusho, what chance is there that Takayasu gets the shukunsho for beating him along the way? An ex-Ozeki getting a prize for beating an ex-Ozeki yusho winner. Almost too absurd to believe.

16 minutes ago, Dwale said:

Tamawashi v Terunofuji has me smiling and laughing. "And how do YOU enjoy being slapped in the face, my good bitch?"

Terunofuji's face when starting his own harite was epic.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I’m wondering ... if Terunofuji wins the yusho, what chance is there that Takayasu gets the shukunsho for beating him along the way? An ex-Ozeki getting a prize for beating an ex-Ozeki yusho winner. Almost too absurd to believe.

Pretty decent, considering Takayasu only needs one more win from his last three matches to get his KK. But Terunofuji has to win out from here to get the yusho, because the confirmed Hakuho v Asanoyama bout will take one of them out of the race, and both of them are otherwise quite good bets to win out too. Simply because of his injuries, I'd rate Terunofuji as the outside chance of getting the yusho amongst the three.

Terutsuyoshi just invented a new kimarite. Did he even grab the leg for being called ashitori?

Well, is there a kimarite for sending your opponent vaulting over your neck?

That's a lot of henka out of Terutsuyoshi this tournament though. Three attempted ones if I recall correctly.

How about Kotoeko this basho? He’s had no attention but is one win from double digits and still technically able to win the yusho as of today (though doubtful for much longer as this looks like being a high-scoring yusho).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

How about Kotoeko this basho? He’s had no attention but is one win from double digits and still technically able to win the yusho as of today (though doubtful for much longer as this looks like being a high-scoring yusho).

He is another little guy doing his best against the big boys.   He does not get the attention he deserves IMHO.   

Shodai dispatches Enho with ease.   I think this basho is Shodai's best in his career.   

And Mitakeumi plays spoiler AGAIN.

I've never liked him much as a walking mass of contradictions - on the one hand, he talks big about wanting ozeki but repeatedly flumps, on the other hand, he's the most successful makuuchi wrestler outside of Hakuho in terms of yusho, and his lower sanyaku streak can't be ignored. And then he goes and wrecks the storylines this basho repeatedly.

Hakuho is now out of the championship unless he can beat both Asanoyama and Terunofuji to force a playoff with the winner of that bout tomorrow.

The good news is, if Asanoyama beats Terunofuji and Hakuho, we are looking at a rope run in Aki, and Asanoyama may well beat Asashoryu's record for shortest time at ozeki.

Edited by Seiyashi

Wow. Mitakeumi must have felt really bad about almost ruining the basho a few days ago, so bad he decided to swing it back the other way.

Hakuho doing a Mitakeumi and collapsing in week two. 

Incredible. For a second I thought Mitakeumi might've stepped out just before he was able to throw Hakuho, but guess not!

Hakuho looking groggy after that one!

Now we're looking at a possibility where Hakuho has to beat Asanoyama to force a playoff, if Terunofuji also loses. If he doesn't, Hakuho beating Asanoyama would mean Terunofuji can claim the prize without a playoff. Then we'll have had two M17 victories with only one basho in between (Yushowinner...)